Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 06:58 PM

297 posts, read 472,547 times

Advertisements

I ain't voting Malloy but I am not voting Republican either

Old 07-18-2013, 07:07 PM

34,917 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Incumbents tend to do much better when the candidate running against them is solidified.

Would you vote for Dannel Malloy again? No...
Would you vote for Dannel Malloy or Linda McMahon (or whoever)? Different question... different result.
Malloy or McMAhon? I would still say Malloy. Malloy or someone else? Not sure. We will see. Jay

Old 07-18-2013, 08:32 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,131,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Absolutely not. From now on, I will always vote Republican, unless they're a religious or anti-gay wingnut. I'm still waiting for a great example of how the liberal ideology has been a major success anywhere in human history. Hint: It hasn't.
I don't know about that. Scandinavia seems to rank pretty high on COL, QOL and happiness scales. It's as liberal as you can get. Minimum wage in Australia is $15/ hour.

People in liberal Europe have many of the things you say you want-- Long vacation, shorter work hours, etc..

I'd challenge you to show me a conservative society of any size that has been a major success.

Old 07-18-2013, 08:34 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,131,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Malloy or McMAhon? I would still say Malloy. Malloy or someone else? Not sure. We will see. Jay
I wouldn't vote for McMahon for much of anything. I don't think she's running, anyway. I would likely vote for Chris Shays or McKinney over Malloy.

Old 07-18-2013, 08:45 PM

2,637 posts, read 7,427,019 times
Danbury announces candidates on Monday. Boughton seems unopposed for mayor at this point. Everything likes him and yes doing a pretty good job.

I didnt vote for malloy the first time, and doubt I will vote for him next time. Too much spending and tax increases.

Old 07-18-2013, 09:06 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,937,475 times
Quote:
I don't know about that. Scandinavia seems to rank pretty high on COL, QOL and happiness scales. It's as liberal as you can get. Minimum wage in Australia is $15/ hour.

People in liberal Europe have many of the things you say you want-- Long vacation, shorter work hours, etc..

I'd challenge you to show me a conservative society of any size that has been a major success.
I would easily choose McMahon over anybody, but she's not running.

The U.S. is largely a conservative society that has been a major success. No other country in the world has been able to topple it in terms of wealth creation, innovation, invention and the ability to attract migrants more than any other nation. Even despite all its problems. Regardless of all the labor benefits that these EU countries may have, I'd still rather live in the U.S. over any country in the world. I believe in American exceptionalism and we shouldn't have to apologize or bow down to any other stupid nation. After Obama's tenure in office is over, our nation will become even better, I promise.

Old 07-19-2013, 06:13 AM

363 posts, read 635,000 times
Quote:

Seriously? Look at America 50 years ago. Quite conservative and far more successful than any country in the world.

Old 07-19-2013, 06:41 AM

1,733 posts, read 1,821,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FILF View Post
Seriously? Look at America 50 years ago. Quite conservative and far more successful than any country in the world.

50 years ago, all the competition was bombed to rubble.

America was left the one industrialized economy left of any size. Factories, roads, bridges, powerplants, rails, none of which was bombed. Loss of manpower had been less than the competition. Oil, timber, iron and coal in abundance. Ports on two oceans, and the entire world was rebuilding and desperatly needed Americas high-tech products.

It was a special circumstances time where it was really difficult to do badly, almost regradless of setup.

Look at the minor countries that didn't get involved in WW2, Sweden and Switzerland. They followed very different economic paths from the US, and each other. And they still followed the same prosperity path.

Old 07-19-2013, 06:49 AM

3,349 posts, read 4,165,458 times
Let's not contrast homogenous, tiny population countries to any of the Superpowers. It's not an appropriate exercise.

Old 07-19-2013, 06:51 AM

2,358 posts, read 2,181,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
Let's not contrast homogenous, tiny population countries to any of the Superpowers. It's not an appropriate exercise.
Because Belgium is so homogenous
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut