Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you enjoy this type of Heat/Humidity in this area?
Love it 7 21.88%
No way 16 50.00%
Only for a few days at a time 9 28.13%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 06:17 AM

83,514 posts, read 75,277,900 times

Advertisements

This speaks volumes in itself.

Hartford (BDL) vs Miami Florida. Miami only has one 90°+ temp this month. Hartford with 10!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2013, 06:20 AM

363 posts, read 635,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I'm absolutely loving this weather. It has been a consistent 90s + humidity every single day and it doesn't bother me one bit. I drive with the windows down and the AC on and off on the low setting, if that even. I've been having lunch outside every day, too (under the shade, of course). I don't understand why it bothers people so much, because I have no problem with it and tolerate it just fine. I especially love it when it's hot and humid at night. I leave my central air setting at 74 degrees most of the time. It feels plenty comfortable to me and even saves a little money. I don't understand why people need to have their homes feel like an ice box. But to me, anything under 70 degrees is cold. Heck, I often go hiking in this 90 degree weather with no water consumption at all and have no problem. I don't sweat much, either.

I try to enjoy every second of it and love the high density South FL style humidity, because come September it will be over and hibernation period begins for me on Oct 1 through Apr 30. That's when everything starts to look ugly, with decaying leaves and shorter days and it just feels more depressing to me. I don't understand how anyone could look forward to that.

I LOVE July in CT!
Perfectly said. I think fall is the worst season. Everything dies and it looks like death for the next 8 months. I'm not looking forward to Saturday when it gets cold again

Old 07-19-2013, 06:25 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,361,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I'm absolutely loving this weather. It has been a consistent 90s + humidity every single day and it doesn't bother me one bit. I drive with the windows down and the AC on and off on the low setting, if that even. I've been having lunch outside every day, too (under the shade, of course). I don't understand why it bothers people so much, because I have no problem with it and tolerate it just fine. I especially love it when it's hot and humid at night. I leave my central air setting at 74 degrees most of the time. It feels plenty comfortable to me and even saves a little money. I don't understand why people need to have their homes feel like an ice box. But to me, anything under 70 degrees is cold. Heck, I often go hiking in this 90 degree weather with no water consumption at all and have no problem. I don't sweat much, either.

I try to enjoy every second of it and love the high density South FL style humidity, because come September it will be over and hibernation period begins for me on Oct 1 through Apr 30. That's when everything starts to look ugly, with decaying leaves and shorter days and it just feels more depressing to me. I don't understand how anyone could look forward to that.

I LOVE July in CT!
Have to be honest...I would have written something similar myself

For me this is when Ct feels like the real Connecticut of my childhood; Granted we live on the coast and right next to the beach, so perhaps it’s much tougher on those well inland without a pool or ocean, but this weather is when coastal CT comes alive…everyone seems to have a deep Florida style tan…. the boaters are everywhere….the docks and piers have all the fisherman and family crabbers…unless at work, you live in shorts and T's .....you can outside barefoot at 11:00 at night to get the mail (lol)....and it’s nice to see the Bikini in the gas stations in East Lyme and Madison( just kidding).

Seriously, though, I think May through October is the best time in Connecticut.

Old 07-19-2013, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FILF View Post
Perfectly said. I think fall is the worst season. Everything dies and it looks like death for the next 8 months. I'm not looking forward to Saturday when it gets cold again

Have to agree with the "fall thing" too, though we do a little better on the coast, we only get 6 months or so of " leafless death" - lol. I actually hate November more than Jan or Feb.

Revolt, do what I do and only plant broadleaved evergreen shurbs and trees (lol).

Old 07-19-2013, 09:00 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,944,080 times
Yeah exactly. CT comes to life between May and Sep and people have good times.

Old 07-19-2013, 09:09 AM

363 posts, read 635,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
Have to agree with the "fall thing" too, though we do a little better on the coast, we only get 6 months or so of " leafless death" - lol. I actually hate November more than Jan or Feb.

Revolt, do what I do and only plant broadleaved evergreen shurbs and trees (lol).
I'm on the costline as well and yes it isn't as bad as going to my mothers or in-laws but it still reminds me of death from November to May. Good suggestion about the evergreen shrubs but truthfully I can't stand evergreen plants!! Reminds of generic filler plants for someone with no imagination and then they get overgrown and look even worse.

Old 07-19-2013, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FILF View Post
I'm on the costline as well and yes it isn't as bad as going to my mothers or in-laws but it still reminds me of death from November to May. Good suggestion about the evergreen shrubs but truthfully I can't stand evergreen plants!! Reminds of generic filler plants for someone with no imagination and then they get overgrown and look even worse.
I don't mean those awful (and non-native) over used "needle" evergreens - like Alberta Spruce, Yews, White Pines...etc. I mean native East Coast shurbs and trees "broadleaved" evergreens, like Ilex, Mt. Laurel, Rhodies, Azaleas, Sweetbay Magnolia, even needle palms...etc. Although I live in the warmest part of Connecticut (eastern Ct coast) so I might have a advantage...those who live anywhere in deep southern CT can have green leaved trees in your yard all year if they know what to plant. The East Coast is zone 7 from coastal CT southward - this means there are more than 100 "broadleaved evergreens" that can be planted.

Although times are changing (thankfully people have more information on-line these days), some people still fall into the trap of planting the "Canadian boreal forest" in their yard (or that's what was there when they bought their house), with non-native shurbs and trees from cold dry climates (like Alberta Canada - lol) that have no business hot summer, humid climates like the East Coast. Here is one of the most beautiful NATIVE East Coast broadleaved evergreen shurbs...they are growing in front of beach houses from Groton to Daytona Beach, FL:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ilex_glabra

This is a spot on my south side - it looks the same January and August (yes that is a palm in the center). All the plants are evergreen leaves

Last edited by wavehunter007; 07-19-2013 at 09:59 AM..

Old 07-19-2013, 09:31 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,897,830 times
I do a little hiking early or late in the day, it's not bad then, shady, the biggest issue I have are the bugs bugs that swarm around my face. Most people work during the hottest period each day, so enjoy the cooler evenings. Drink something cold. This heat is temporary, after Saturday it will be pleasant again.

Old 07-19-2013, 09:44 AM

83,514 posts, read 75,277,900 times
The heat is fine in the summer, I can tolerate a drier heat... but some of you guys arent understanding the RARE continous High dewpoints we're having. That is not like us to have them like this constantly and its putting a strain on our bodies and the grid. It's not your typical heat wave.

When we go back and look at stats we'll just see 90s. No big deal. But what we'll be missing is the real feel index that we've been having.

11:45am feels like 100s?? Come on. Stop kidding us you like this weather.

Old 07-19-2013, 10:02 AM

3,350 posts, read 4,167,368 times
I'm not sure we tracked dew point, and humidity to the extent (both in frequency and sites) in the past like we do today. The high temperatures haven't been overly high--- no shot at 100 today, and even the nighttime lows aren't much different from the hot summers in the mid 1990s or 2006. Are there actually robust historical DP and % RH figures?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut