Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 07:07 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,947,442 times

Advertisements

Although I am happy with life in general now and love my job, I want to be straight up honest about something here: Fairfield County ain't such a great place to live for middle class households like myself or IMO in general. I thought the Hartford area was far superior, to be honest.

First, I really think the NYC influence/vibe is annoying and undesirable. Everywhere you go, you see highway entrance signs that say "N.Y. City" and no mention of Stamford, ever. Most of the radio stations are originated from NYC. And when I'm at work, other people often talk about going to "the city" and NYC in general. It's annoying IMO and makes FFC seem like it plays second fiddle to NYC. In Hartford, this wasn't the case at all. Hartford metro stood on its own as a distinct metro area with no NYC or Boston influence, and I liked that. I don't care about big cities at all and never really plan on visiting NYC. I have little reason to be there.

Second, it is truly expensive here. Even with my 9% salary increase from Hartford, I am still financially worse off. And I'm not even living in that nice of an area. It's just central Norwalk. I couldn't even afford any of the modern apartment complexes (e.g., Avalon). Don't get me wrong...I love my apartment though. It's gorgeous and cheaper than Avalon, but I'm just saying...back up near Hartford, I would have easily been able to afford an Avalon type of place. Even if I receive salary increases, I really don't think I'll be able to afford a starter home. It seems like an entry level home around here is at least $350,000, which is a real challenge for a single person making well under six figures in FFC. Back up in Hartford, my peers were buying homes. Now here in FFC, most people in my office around my age are renting, well into their 30's, which is kinda sad. FFC is not the place to be for middle class people to reach the American Dream of home ownership. Just admit it.

Third, the traffic is absolutely atrocious, even on weekends. The infrastructure is terrible. I-95 is only three lanes and moves at a snails pace, or never moves at all. It happens pretty much 24/7 and it's just plain annoying. And people use their horns FAR more often than up in Hartford County. It's rude and obnoxious. People at work talk about the traffic every single day, just like the weather. It's pathetic that the government is simply ignoring one of the most congested corridors in the nation. Something seriously has to be done about this crap. It's also bad for the environment to have thousands of cars on the road 24/7 polluting the air like that. And the Metro North train doesn't save any time at all, and is actually more costly at $60 per month vs. spending under $50 a month on gas for my car.

Fourth, it's too urban and overpopulated for my tastes. I will say though, once you go north of I-95 and the Merritt, it quickly becomes quiet country. But in general this county is too urban and congested for me. Things are just more hectic in general.

Fifth, there's just too much wealth here. That's undesirable IMO. I prefer places that are very down to earth with a large portion of middle class Americans just being normal Americans. I didn't even like Farmington Valley that much, for this same reason. Personally, I don't care to see $2M homes all over the place. And the font on all the street signs in Wilton is stupid.

Sixth, for some reason it seems like there are less gay men around my age living around here, which boggles my mind considering its proximity to NYC. But I don't care about gay life much anymore, so it's okay.

Seventh, it seems like public/outdoor activities are either more expensive or restricted only to certain residents or those who have permits. It costs freekin' $40 to go to that Westport beach. And I tried to go hiking somewhere in Weston and there were signs all over the place saying that you need a permit. I saw another place like that, too. Ridiculous.

The Hartford Metropolitan Area was a fabulous place to live, within the context of New England. Reasonable home prices, great paying jobs, and a much wider spectrum of towns to choose from for both wealthy, middle class and even the less fortunate citizens. Plenty of urban or rural choices, too. And most people didn't talk about going to "the damn city" all the time. Life was a bit more relaxed, too, and the traffic was only really limited to certain segments of I-84. It also felt more "New Englandy," which I liked. And I personally liked how it was more provincial.

I think FFC is the worst county to live in, in CT, but certainly not a bad place to live. I'm just stating the differences having come from Hartford County. I really don't think I'm cut out for urban or sophisticated lifestyles. I want a small ranch with some land, no neighbors, little traffic and plenty of silence. Hmmm....New London County....lol....

Last edited by nep321; 07-20-2013 at 07:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2013, 07:13 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,160,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Although I am happy with life in general now and love my job, I want to be straight up honest about something here: Fairfield County ain't such a great place to live for middle class households like myself or IMO in general. I thought the Hartford area was far superior, to be honest.

First, I really think the NYC influence/vibe is annoying and undesirable. Everywhere you go, you see highway entrance signs that say "N.Y. City" and no mention of Stamford, ever. Most of the radio stations are originated from NYC. And when I'm at work, other people often talk about going to "the city" and NYC in general. It's annoying IMO and makes FFC seem like it plays second fiddle to NYC. In Hartford, this wasn't the case at all. Hartford metro stood on its own as a distinct metro area with no NYC or Boston influence, and I liked that. I don't care about big cities at all and never really plan on visiting NYC. I have little reason to be there.

Second, it is truly expensive here. Even with my 9% salary increase from Hartford, I am still financially worse off. And I'm not even living in that nice of an area. It's just central Norwalk. I couldn't even afford any of the modern apartment complexes (e.g., Avalon). Don't get me wrong...I love my apartment though. It's gorgeous and cheaper than Avalon, but I'm just saying...back up near Hartford, I would have easily been able to afford an Avalon type of place. Even if I receive salary increases, I really don't think I'll be able to afford a starter home. It seems like an entry level home around here is at least $350,000, which is a real challenge for a single person making well under six figures in FFC. Back up in Hartford, my peers were buying homes. Now here in FFC, most people in my office around my age are renting, well into their 30's, which is kinda sad. FFC is not the place to be for middle class people to reach the American Dream of home ownership. Just admit it.

Third, the traffic is absolutely atrocious, even on weekends. The infrastructure is terrible. I-95 is only three lanes and moves at a snails pace, or never moves at all. It happens pretty much 24/7 and it's just plain annoying. And people use their horns FAR more often than up in Hartford County. It's rude and obnoxious. People at work talk about the traffic every single day, just like the weather. It's pathetic that the government is simply ignoring one of the most congested corridors in the nation. Something seriously has to be done about this crap. It's also bad for the environment to have thousands of cars on the road 24/7 polluting the air like that. And the Metro North train doesn't save any time at all, and is actually more costly at $60 per month vs. spending under $50 a month on gas for my car.

Fourth, it's too urban and overpopulated for my tastes. I will say though, once you go north of I-95 and the Merritt, it quickly becomes quiet country. But in general this county is too urban and congested for me. Things are just more hectic in general.

Fifth, there's just too much wealth here. That's undesirable IMO. I prefer places that are very down to earth with a large portion of middle class Americans just being normal Americans. I didn't even like Farmington Valley that much, for this same reason. Personally, I don't care to see $2M homes all over the place. And the font on all the street signs in Wilton is stupid.

Sixth, for some reason it seems like there are less gay men around my age living around here, which boggles my mind considering its proximity to NYC. But I don't care about gay life much anymore, so it's okay.

The Hartford Metropolitan Area was a fabulous place to live, within the context of New England. Reasonable home prices, great paying jobs, and a much wider spectrum of towns to choose from for both wealthy, middle class and even the less fortunate citizens. Plenty of urban or rural choices, too. And most people didn't talk about going to "the damn city" all the time. Life was a bit more relaxed, too, and the traffic was only really limited to certain segments of I-84. It also felt more "New Englandy," which I liked. And I personally liked how it was more provincial.

I think FFC is the worst county to live in, in CT, but certainly not a bad place to live. I'm just stating the differences having come from Hartford County.
You make me dizzy

Old 07-20-2013, 07:13 PM

2,256 posts, read 4,497,126 times
Who had the over/under on this??

Nep, instead of just following the coastline a distance from NYC, why not try more rural like upper FFC or lower Litchfield county?

Old 07-20-2013, 07:14 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,861,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
You make me dizzy
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPct View Post

Nep, instead of just following the coastline a distance from NYC, why not try more rural like upper FFC or lower Litchfield county?
^^^^^^^^Rubberneckers.

Old 07-20-2013, 07:18 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,947,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPct View Post

Well, I saw a nice ranch for rent for just $1,500 in Redding, but I decided it would be too far to commute to downtown Stamford. It's okay though, I know in my mind I probably won't stay in FFC for more than a couple years.

Old 07-20-2013, 07:48 PM

1,290 posts, read 1,975,595 times
Is any of that a surprise about Fairfield County? All of it has been mentioned, and told to you, on these boards.

Old 07-20-2013, 08:18 PM

691 posts, read 1,150,218 times
This is the same guy with the 20+ page thread about seeking a job in Charlotte, correct?

Gee, golly....living in FFC comes with the price of extreme congestion and crap housing at luxury prices? Who knew?!

Tell me he's merely a troll. Please.

Old 07-20-2013, 09:18 PM

680 posts, read 1,575,847 times
JayCT

Is there some kind of secret prize for the member who starts the most thread or generates the most replies in his thread?

If there is please give it to nep now to spare us the insanity.

Old 07-21-2013, 07:13 AM

11,298 posts, read 18,885,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulpfiction View Post
This is the same guy with the 20+ page thread about seeking a job in Charlotte, correct?

Gee, golly....living in FFC comes with the price of extreme congestion and crap housing at luxury prices? Who knew?!

Tell me he's merely a troll. Please.
You beat me to it. Sadly, he's not a troll (or at least doesn't appear to be), he's just looking for a "utopia" that doesn't exist. Note he shows his usual "posting schizophrenia" (i.e. "although I am happy with life in general and love my job" and in bold).

I will say regarding the beach, that is a big problem in the Sound shore towns in both Westchester and Fairfield (and in Westchester for parks along the Hudson River, they are usually free, but to stop people from coming for the great view, the only let "town residents" park there and in a couple of cases even go there, where on (albeit rare) occasion police patrol and actually ask for proof of residence ID). I don't know how much cheaper it is (haven't gone there in years) but you can always go to Sherwood Isle beach in Westport, which is a state park open to all.

Old 07-21-2013, 07:31 AM

370 posts, read 608,712 times
I actually agree with everything Nep stated, except for the lack of men since I wouldn't know. I remember crossing my fingers and hoping I could survive a shopping trip to Stew's or Costco's in Norwalk...that shopping trip would ruin my weekend. Going to restaurants or the movies was a pain too. Everything is poorly designed and just too congested. Anyway, we recently moved to Newtown and now shop in Danbury & Brookfield....no more weekend headaches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut