Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 08:12 PM

21,611 posts, read 27,867,998 times

Advertisements

It wouldn't be fun. Afternoons are going to be worse. You're going to hit a bit of traffic coming out of Fairfield, and it'll clear up by eastern Bridgeport. It's usually clear all the way to West Haven, where you'll have traffic all the way to to the Q Bridge. On summer Fridays, it can be pretty brutal. It can easily take well over an hour. Add snow into the mix and you're not having a fun commute. For Fairfield, I would not go any further than Orange/Woodbridge on 15, Milford on 95, or Seymour on Route 8.

Where in Fairfield is the job? That can make a difference.

Also, please post in your original thread as far as town questions are concerned. I will be merging this thread with that one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2013, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
I guess your friend needs to take a new look at the scores/ratings on Shelton schools. They are really coming up, quickly.
Agreed. Trumbull is considerably more expensive mostly because of the location closer to NYC/lower FFC. Shelton is a very respectable place to live and taxes are MUCH lower.

I personally like Trumbull, but also feel it's a bit overhyped on here.

Old 07-22-2013, 08:20 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,798,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Sorry Stylo, but the last time I looked, Trumbull High School performed well above the high schools in Shelton and Milford on the Connecticut Academic Performance Tests and many people do consider it a superior town. Otherwise people would not be willing to pay more to live there. Also the OP can find a very nice house in Trumbull and Fairfield in their price range. Why commute longer than they have to? The house may not be new or completely updated but not everyone requires a home that is completely done. Just because a home does not have the latest cosmetics is no reason to dismiss it. In real estate, location is everything. It is the OP's decision how far they would want to be from Fairfield and whether the price of a home there or Trumbull is worth it. Jay

This site is showing Shelton to be not all that far off of Trumbull for 2012 CAPT results.

Old 07-22-2013, 08:33 PM

Quote:
This site is showing Shelton to be not all that far off of Trumbull for 2012 CAPT results.
And in regards to Shelton exceeding Milford, check this out:

Shelton High School
Math: 270.3
Science: 273.9
Reading: 254.9
Writing: 275.5

Foran High School
Math: 262.7
Science: 277.6
Reading: 252.5
Writing: 276.1

Almost a toss-up between those two. Lower than Trumbull, but within a fairly small margin. All exceeding the state average by a decent margin.

Seymour and Stratford are quite below both, though. I was actually surprised to see Seymour fall below the state average in every category, since the town does seem to be turning around.

Not that the OP seems to care.

Old 07-22-2013, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
And in regards to Shelton exceeding Milford, check this out:

Shelton High School
Math: 270.3
Science: 273.9
Reading: 254.9
Writing: 275.5

Foran High School
Math: 262.7
Science: 277.6
Reading: 252.5
Writing: 276.1

Almost a toss-up between those two. Lower than Trumbull, but within a fairly small margin. All exceeding the state average by a decent margin.
Wait a minute. Hold the phone.

There are 2 high schools in Milford. You need to take the scores of both Foran and Law in this comparison.

Edit to add: Here's the breakdown:

Shelton Milford

Math: 270.3 260.7
Science: 273.9 271.3
Reading: 254.9 248.5
Writing: 275.5 268.3

Old 07-22-2013, 08:38 PM

34,774 posts, read 56,613,662 times
Quote:
I do not know what you are looking at, but from what I see Trumbull High School is well above Shelton in all subjects. There is a significant differnece in Science and Writing. Jay

Old 07-22-2013, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I do not know what you are looking at, but from what I see Trumbull High School is well above Shelton in all subjects. There is a significant differnece in Science and Writing. Jay
The difference in the Math and Reading scores is ~5. That is not well above Shelton, IMO.

The difference in Science and Writing, at ~16 is more pronounced, but Shelton is still very comfortably above the state average scores in those disciplines.

Old 07-22-2013, 09:06 PM

Quote:
There are 2 high schools in Milford. You need to take the scores of both Foran and Law in this comparison.
Why? A homebuyer has a choice of which school district to be in within the city, just like anyone has the choice of which town to live in.

Old 07-22-2013, 09:08 PM

34,774 posts, read 56,613,662 times
Quote:
The difference in the Math and Reading scores is ~5. That is not well above Shelton, IMO.

The difference in Science and Writing, at ~16 is more pronounced, but Shelton is still very comfortably above the state average scores in those disciplines.
You are correct that Shelton is still well above the state average so I would not say it is a bad school. Jay

Old 07-22-2013, 09:52 PM

31 posts, read 77,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post

Not that the OP seems to care.
Actually, you're right....I don't care about all this blah blah blah about high schools and test scores and such...It seems that people are having a debate about these things here. It's a bit overwhelming. In case people have lost sight of my original post, I asked about a few things, none of them about high schools or test scores. Our daughter is 4 years old, we are not focused on high schools right now and as far as test scores go, high test scores don't necessarily mean the school is good, only that the teachers are most likely stressing test scores over overall experience of the students. No thanks.
What I asked about was decent towns in Fairfield and New Haven counties, commute times from Fairfield, and bungalows in Western CT.
Thanks to all for your responses and input, but can we stay on the topic? Thanks, all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut