Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 02:26 PM

2,102 posts, read 7,757,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
There IS a lifestyle; that is things common to the "group" just as there are things common to Mormons or Jews or Fudementalist Christians and heterosexuals.
This is an unclear statement as written: or...or...and. Christian doesn't automatically mean heterosexual.

Mormons, or members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, are pretty clear on their position of homosexuality as are Jehovah's Witnesses. As my friend from Kindergarten says, "It's a big no-no."

Moderate Jews (Reformed) and moderate Christians (Episcopalians, Lutherans, Methodists, Congregationalists, members of the United Church of Christ, etc.) are tolerant of homosexuals. Some congregations even allow gays to be ordained.

What lifestyle things are common to heterosexuals? Gun violence? Divorce?

Last edited by Rich Lee; 08-23-2008 at 02:35 PM..

Old 08-23-2008, 02:34 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,003,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Lee View Post
This is an unclear statement as written.

Your statement would work except for your inclusion of "Jews" - a group as broad as "Christians." The latter group you narrowed down.

Mormons, or members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, are pretty clear on their position of homosexuality as are Jehovah's Witnesses.

Moderate Jews (Reformed) and moderate Christians (Episcopalians, Lutherans, Methodists, Congregationalists, members of the Church of Christ, etc.) are tolerant of homosexuals. Some congregations even allow gays to be ordained.
You misunderstood. I was not talking about their stance on homosexuality but the fact that there are commonalities among them in a broad sense much as there is in the homosexual community. I.E. Christians believe in Jesus.

Would you not agree that there are specific things you folks deal with as a community that the herto world does not?

(I know I know I'm opening myself up to a tirade of how your discriminated against etc etc but I'm not thinking along those lines.)

How about something as simple as the article I read in NYer magazine talking about New York being a "bottom town". Care to explain to the hetero's what that means so they are not in the dark? (Guess not based on your reply below, so please allow me. Think pitcher vs catcher folks. Catcher is a "bottom" pitcher is a "top")

Some in this thread don't think there are specific things pertaining to the homosexual community - well that's one example of something they never have to deal with or probably never thought about. There are differences and things specific to your community.

To say otherwise is disingenuous.

Old 08-23-2008, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Would you not agree that there are specific things you folks deal with as a community that the hetero world does not?
Me...not really. Others...I suppose so. I marvel at how so many of my straight friends go through the motion of marriage just to end in divorce within a few years. It's too bad there's no defense of marriage among straights.

Quote:
How about something as simple as the article I read in NYer magazine talking about New York being a "bottom town". Care to explain to the hetero's what that means so they are not in the dark?
I guess this is similar to what parents tell their children when they pass a hooker on the street or their child inquires about VIP or "adult video store." It's awkward, but there's usually a good explanation.

Old 08-23-2008, 02:41 PM

4,462 posts, read 8,021,048 times
Hey Rich

so right- my cousins son and wife lasted less then 3 years- I have gay friends together for 20 years ....

Old 08-23-2008, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
Hey Rich

so right- my cousins son and wife lasted less then 3 years- I have gay friends together for 20 years ....
...coming up on 18 years myself in February. And yes, I am a proud Christian that votes.

Old 08-23-2008, 02:45 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,003,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Lee View Post
...coming up on 18 years myself in February. And yes, I am a proud Christian that votes.
So why would you folks want to introduce something that is so destructive into your lives? (Marriage)

Makes no sense.

Old 08-23-2008, 02:49 PM

Quote:
So why would you folks want to introduce something that is so destructive into your lives? (Marriage)

Makes no sense.
I have never said that I want to be married. Family and friends have asked me, "What would you do if and when you can marry?" My response has always been, "At this point, I wouldn't change anything. We have a date that we use and a second date would only add confusion."

I do think it would be interesting to watch divorce rates among gays who, when marriage becomes available to them, either provide similar or better statistical data. Hasn't Ellen Degeneres' marriage already outlasted one of Britney Spears'?

Old 08-23-2008, 03:40 PM

8,954 posts, read 4,270,717 times
A lot of posts have been removed from this thread as personal attacks. Unless this stops, the thread will be closed and further infractions issued.

Please, stay on topic and discuss ideas, not each other, as per CD rules. Thank you.

Old 08-23-2008, 03:42 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,740,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
Socially regressive may include states/regions that stand against economic and social justice for all- these places also tend to look at life & issues with black and white arguments; these regions also may be dogmatic/with heavy religious and include cultural conservative values that may be well intentioned- but may judge others who are 'different' before getting all the facts- there is also an unwilling ability to new embrace new ideas that go beyond 'traditional values'.

It might be said that 'regressive' is the polar opposite of 'progressive.'
Progressives have over the last 100 years given Americans most of the social and economic safety nets they have today- Progressive republicans in the 19th century where responsible for the abolition of slavery.
In what ways do you consider KY and IN "regressive?" That is a blanket generalization as I write to you from one of the more liberal neighborhoods in "flyover country" here in Louisville.

Old 08-23-2008, 04:01 PM

486 posts, read 1,897,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markablue View Post
[CENTER]A lot of posts have been removed from this thread as personal attacks. Unless this stops, the thread will be closed and further infractions issued.

Please, stay on topic and discuss ideas, not each other, as per CD rules. Thank you.[/CENTER]
OK well my apologies for losing my temper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut