Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 09:18 AM
gs1 gs1 started this thread

5 posts, read 22,526 times

Advertisements

How is the Mckinley Elementary school in Fairfield? We like a house, before making an offer wants to know the rating of the school. How are the math and reading scores?

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2007, 08:19 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,903,161 times
Hey gs1 - you are looking at homes in my old neighborhood. I went to McKinley School from kindergarten to 7th grade (it use be a Junior High school as well as elementary school years ago). Of course, that was the old building. They knocked it down to put up the new one. The old timers do not like the new building (can't say I disagree with them about the outside, too modern). The school itself is stunnning with large well laid out rooms and great features (resouce center, computers labs, gym, etc.). People that I know that go there really love it.

Mckinley School is one of the schools though that is out of "balance" racially compared with other schools in the town. This means that the school has a somewhat higher percentage of minority students than the other schools in town. It has historically been this way even when I went there. This does not in any way mean the school is any worse than the others, in fact I believe it means that its students get to see a lot of different cultures and experiences and that helps build a better person overall. My kids currently attend a similar school in another town and I think there is a definte advantage.

The town has developed a plan to "correct" the inbalance by offering to redistribute some students to other schools but I understand they are having a hard time because no one wants to leave the school. To me that says a lot.

To find the answer to your specific question you can go the Connecticut Department of Educations website and do a search on school profiles. I will say Fairfield schools have an excellent reputation and you can not go wrong with any of the schools in the district. Unlike other states where there are large school districts with schools of varying performance, curriculum is pretty uniform across most of the district, so no kids come through less prepared than others. Good luck and welcome to Fairfield (and hopefully Tunxis Hill). Let me know if you have any other questions, Jay

Old 11-21-2007, 01:18 AM

44 posts, read 163,709 times
My son currently attends the new McKinley School - he was in the first new kindergarten class.

I was never in the old school, but I will tell you, the new school is beautiful. I attended Mill Hill many many years ago, and I can't compare McKinley to how Mill Hill was when I went there.

But looks are just superficial. I have to say that the staff at McKinley is outstanding. Most of the teachers that I know are really, really great. The office people, the librarian, the social worker, etc.---they are all great. The Principal, I feel is superior---she really, really supports her "kids" and her "school"----Dr. B is always there---she attends every PTA event, and I often see her car at school at 8 or 9 pm at night or on the weekends.

Yes, McKinley students are lower scoring on tests, but this past year, McKinley students had the biggest percentage of increase in scores---so that definitely says something about the teachers and programs at McKinley. McKinley has an extremely diverse population, with over 36 countries represented in its student body. Many of these students start McKinley not speaking any or little English, but several of these students from past years have graduated high school well-versed in English and taking many of the top honors at high school.

McKinley does alot for it's students---they have started after school homework clubs and after school reading clubs. A relationship has been forged with Wakeman Boys & Girls Club---students can ride a bus to the club every afternoon. A Student Mentoring program has been in place for 2-3 years, where high school students spend one afternoon a week for the school year with one child who needs some extra support---the teenage student and the McKinley student spend an hour or two one day a week working on homework and other fun activities.

McKinley also has an outstanding PTA that sponsors and funds so many wonderful programs. Look here to learn more about all the great things the PTA does - McKinley School PTA

If you have any further questions about McKinley, please let me know.

Patty

Old 01-29-2008, 04:12 PM

1 posts, read 6,389 times
Somehow a school named McKinley here in Denver came up and thought I would google the McKinley school I went to in Fairfield I went there from 1960 until 7th grade. I have not been back to CT in well over 20 yrs. I would never have recognized it. I imagine the woods and the path in the back of the school are long gone,having walked that path for so many years. I have to say I do like the original school much better but how does one stand in the way of "progress"

Old 01-29-2008, 06:21 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,903,161 times
gcdtrek - I went to Mckinley at the same time. Are we former classmates? I am going to DM you to find out. Jay

Old 01-30-2008, 11:42 AM

44 posts, read 163,709 times
The woods and the path are still there. The sidewalk nearest the school was re-paved when they opened the new school. The sidewalk towards the street was re-paved this spring!!!

Old 06-04-2012, 11:14 AM

1 posts, read 4,096 times
My grandparents owned a house that was on the lot near mckinley school. now it is rebuilt and I don't how it is but my father went to the old mckinley school and he would be 85 now if he was alive. it is an old school.

Old 12-12-2012, 05:09 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,854,696 times
I know this is an old thread.

But, i felt it was necessary to bump it due to the scores that were released by the CT DOE today. Franklin School in my town has always been regarded as the worst elementary. It's the last place you would want to send your kid in Stratford. According to the state, McKinley in Fairfield performs worse than Franklin. Frankly, i find it shocking that the state's scores show McKinley to be worse than Stratford's worst elementary school. The rest of Fairfield's schools seem to be high achievers though.

Searchable Database: Find Your School's `Performance Index' Scores - Courant.com

Old 12-12-2012, 07:14 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,944,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post

But, i felt it was necessary to bump it due to the scores that were released by the CT DOE today. Franklin School in my town has always been regarded as the worst elementary. It's the last place you would want to send your kid in Stratford. According to the state, McKinley in Fairfield performs worse than Franklin. Frankly, i find it shocking that the state's scores show McKinley to be worse than Stratford's worst elementary school. The rest of Fairfield's schools seem to be high achievers though.

Searchable Database: Find Your School's `Performance Index' Scores - Courant.com
I saw the scroes in the CT Post this morning.

Stratford is looking pretty good in their rankings. McKinley doesn't look that bad overall. Its scores in the mid-to-high 70s are better than a lot of other towns, and obviously miles above the typical Bridgeport score.

Old 12-12-2012, 11:16 PM

2,358 posts, read 2,182,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post

Touchy subject for many in Tunxis. Just about everyone that has sent there kids there have loved the school (especially now with the absolutely beautiful campus) but for many years the town would bus all the special needs and ESL children to McKinley. Although it makes sense from a resource standpoint it makes the school look worse than it really is. Quite a few also remember when the Principal of Dwight did a victory lap about a decade ago, touting fantastic scores of the kids. Well...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut