Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2013, 07:57 AM

11,242 posts, read 18,715,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanmyth View Post
Wow. I could have written the same message and replaced Southern references with one's in the North. When I go home to Connecticut, I see more Tea Party flags and bumper stickers back home than I do in VA or NC. Now, that isn't to say there aren't a fair share of these types in the South...just look at the legislatures, but generalizations are just that...generalizations...and we know what that can lead to...
The difference is in the South it is a lot more "in your face" and in some cases part of the law than it is in the Northeast. For example, I actually think voter ID's are not a bad idea, but doing it right before a Presidential election instead of pushing the issue say 1 or 2 years before when there's a lot of time to implement smacks of suspicion and putting it in for the wrong reasons. Well except for Pennsylvania, which states tried to do that in droves? Or as another example that reflects what you're talking about, I have some "Tea Party" friends up here that if it weren't for Facebook I (and those they deal with) would never know that about them, but my brother-in-law in NC (who BTW is a bit to the left of me politically) says that his "Tea Party" neighbors are very open and vocal about it.

One area where I'll agree that (nowadays) the Northeast is more "that way" than the South is that there's more 'white flight' and less integrated neighborhoods in those cities (as well as the upper Midwest, i.e. Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, etc.) than in many of the growing Southern cities, though a lot of the "integrated" neighborhoods in those cities are in places with a lot of transplanted Northerners, i.e. the Raleigh suburb of Cary, NC (which ironically the locals joke is a nickname for "Containment Area for Relocated Yankees"), the Richmond, VA suburb of Glen Allen, etc.

Old 07-28-2013, 08:07 AM

10,004 posts, read 11,067,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
The difference is in the South it is a lot more "in your face" and in some cases part of the law than it is in the Northeast. For example, I actually think voter ID's are not a bad idea, but doing it right before a Presidential election instead of pushing the issue say 1 or 2 years before when there's a lot of time to implement smacks of suspicion and putting it in for the wrong reasons. Well except for Pennsylvania, which states tried to do that in droves? Or as another example that reflects what you're talking about, I have some "Tea Party" friends up here that if it weren't for Facebook I (and those they deal with) would never know that about them, but my brother-in-law in NC (who BTW is a bit to the left of me politically) says that his "Tea Party" neighbors are very open and vocal about it.

One area where I'll agree that (nowadays) the Northeast is more "that way" than the South is that there's more 'white flight' and less integrated neighborhoods in those cities (as well as the upper Midwest, i.e. Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, etc.) than in many of the growing Southern cities, though a lot of the "integrated" neighborhoods in those cities are in places with a lot of transplanted Northerners, i.e. the Raleigh suburb of Cary, NC (which ironically the locals joke is a nickname for "Containment Area for Relocated Yankees"), the Richmond, VA suburb of Glen Allen, etc.
There's also a lot more crime in the south because of it.

Old 07-28-2013, 08:43 AM

275 posts, read 416,791 times
Default I've been wantin' to go to the NH NASCAR race. I love NH. what would be the closest area in NH to go take a holiday at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris410 View Post
Agreed, but i like long gold snowy winters! ha

the 40s felt nice after that heatwave, along those lines, it was a solid 10 degrees colder for yestardays high in CT then it was in NH. oh yeah no rain yestarday up here either

oh yeah, and we may not have any pro sports teams but we do have a nascar track. thats gotta count for something right?
Been wanting to go visit NH for some time.
Are there good places to go too, you can bring pets with too?

Old 07-28-2013, 09:53 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,830,893 times
Hahahahaha, someone left me this rep in response to my post regarding Walmart,

Are you that blinded by your own arrogance or just plain ignorant. The Walmarts in CT are packed to the gills everyday. If there were more Walmarts in this state even more people would shop there. The >10 % of people you speak of are just that.

What does that mean exactly, that "the >10 % of people you speak of are just that"?? Did you mean they were arrogant, or just plain ignorant? Actually, my nearest walmart is pretty quiet on a weekday, only busy on weekends. But judging from the walmarts in the south that I have seen, people seem to buy just about everything there. They buy all their clothing there, their groceries, their prescriptions, etc., 24 hours a day. They don't have as many options for other shopping, walmart has edged out their competitors, and their products are inferior. I would like to think that walmart wouldn't be quite so successful here. Currently I don't think there is the demand for such a large store, 24/7.

Last edited by andthentherewere3; 07-28-2013 at 10:03 AM..

Old 07-28-2013, 10:16 AM

21,516 posts, read 30,912,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post

Are you that blinded by your own arrogance or just plain ignorant. The Walmarts in CT are packed to the gills everyday. If there were more Walmarts in this state even more people would shop there. The >10 % of people you speak of are just that.
HA. The "repper" is right, they're f---ing zoos. But not "packed to the gills" with people who are upstanding. Most halfway decent people I know cringe before they walk into a Walmart, including me. I'm tired of standing in line watching people argue with the cashiers about why their EBT card is not working. I'm tired of the entitled, trashy attitudes I see there. The website Funny Pictures at WalMart doesn't exist for no reason.

That all being said, the 24 hour super Walmarts I've seen in Florida are a lot nicer than the ones up here. The clientele seems to be better, too, but perhaps that's because they are located in more affluent coastal, retirement communities.

Old 07-28-2013, 10:34 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,830,893 times
Wal-Mart is widely known for their poor business practices, too. I'm not at my computer now and don't know how to link a website, but go to to "Wikipedia criticism of Wal-Mart" for details. They are deplorable.

Old 07-28-2013, 10:39 AM

21,516 posts, read 30,912,645 times
Quote:
Wal-Mart is widely known for their poor business practices, too. I'm not at my computer now and don't know how to link a website, but go to to "Wikipedia criticism of Wal-Mart" for details. They are deplorable.
Here's the link: Criticism of Walmart - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And I agree.

Old 07-28-2013, 10:48 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,754,099 times
Quote:

What does that mean exactly, that "the >10 % of people you speak of are just that"?? Did you mean they were arrogant, or just plain ignorant? Actually, my nearest walmart is pretty quiet on a weekday, only busy on weekends. But judging from the walmarts in the south that I have seen, people seem to buy just about everything there. They buy all their clothing there, their groceries, their prescriptions, etc., 24 hours a day. They don't have as many options for other shopping, walmart has edged out their competitors, and their products are inferior. I would like to think that walmart wouldn't be quite so successful here. Currently I don't think there is the demand for such a large store, 24/7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
HA. The "repper" is right, they're f---ing zoos. But not "packed to the gills" with people who are upstanding. Most halfway decent people I know cringe before they walk into a Walmart, including me. I'm tired of standing in line watching people argue with the cashiers about why their EBT card is not working. I'm tired of the entitled, trashy attitudes I see there. The website Funny Pictures at WalMart doesn't exist for no reason.

That all being said, the 24 hour super Walmarts I've seen in Florida are a lot nicer than the ones up here. The clientele seems to be better, too, but perhaps that's because they are located in more affluent coastal, retirement communities.
I wish there were more Walmart stores in CT. It would keep the riff-raff more segregated and out of stores that i shop at, like Target/etc.

Old 07-28-2013, 01:24 PM

10,004 posts, read 11,067,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Whoever wrote that nice rep about crime..YOU are wrong. BY The numbers the south has more crime. The northeast does have high crime rates but they are confined to urban areas.

Edit: if you have something to say put it in where everyone can see it

Old 07-28-2013, 01:32 PM

11,242 posts, read 18,715,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Because of what, more integrated neighborhoods or more "in your face" hatred by the 'natives'? Not saying either as a criticism just not sure what you mean by "it".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut