Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2013, 08:02 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,358,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris410 View Post
True story time,

Was down in CT on Sunday for a family gathering. We were eating desert around the table, about 20 of us, several of us “younger” “kids” (30 year olds +/- ) have moved out of state to NH, MA, NY, etc. we all had to drive home later that evening. One of the older guy says, “wow all you guys have to drive hours and hours home later on, we just gotta drive down the road” trying to bust balls. So I fired back with “yeah well you all have to live in CT” and pretty much the entire room of CT residents was like “yeah, he has got us there”. Not one single person tried to defend CT. in my opinion that speaks volumes.

CT is not a terrible place to live, there are worse places for sure. But when compared to the rest of the north east it’s pretty low on the desirability scale.
I can't speak for your family (and I'm no huge fan of CT)....but you couldn't pay me to deal with all the snow/crappy weather in those states above CT. Said it before....will say it again - it has to be cheaper living up north above CT/NYC/NJ = the weather is so awful they need something to draw people up there - lol.

Every time I see this map...I realize you are right: CT is not a terrible place to live....but the states above CT ARE - lol:

Old 09-10-2013, 08:14 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,493,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
I can't speak for your family (and I'm no huge fan of CT)....but you couldn't pay me to deal with all the snow/crappy weather in those states above CT. Said it before....will say it again - it has to be cheaper living up north above CT/NYC/NJ = the weather is so awful they need something to draw people up there - lol.

Every time I see this map...I realize you are right: CT is not a terrible place to live....but the states above CT ARE - lol:

Yeah well i have said it before and will say it again. not everyone hates snow and hates winter. Personally its one of my favorites seasons. Which again makes CT winters terrible, because you dont get enough snow or cold, there are not big enough mountains to actually enjoy the fun things that can happen in winter such as Skiing, snowmobiling, snowboarding, ice skating, etc etc. Instead you have to drive 2+ hours north to do such things (in adverse driving conditions) Instead everyone in CT just complains about how miserable winter is for 4+ months. Up here in NH people are outside Enjoying the snow, going snow shoeing, going skiing, going snowmobiling.

When there is a lack of snow and cold up here, people are actually depressed about it. The depressing thing about winter for me is 2" of rain in january washing away all the snow or staring at the brown ground for months. And lets face it, winter on most of the east coast is brown, cold and dark for most of the season. unless your moving to southern florida your going to be staring at brown dead landscape with temps in the low 40s. At least up north you can go out and play in the snow!
Attached Thumbnails
Why do people dislike Connecticut so much?-20130224_153716-large-small-.jpg  

Old 09-10-2013, 09:21 AM

2,394 posts, read 4,084,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
I have to say-- For the same square footage, my electric bill was consistently higher in Austin. Running A/C 8 months a year was the culprit. Especially for the four months where temps were in the 90's and 100's, my a/c ran constantly.
Well, that's half of the equation.

Old 09-10-2013, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Yeah well i have said it before and will say it again. not everyone hates snow and hates winter. Personally its one of my favorites seasons. Which again makes CT winters terrible, because you dont get enough snow or cold, there are not big enough mountains to actually enjoy the fun things that can happen in winter such as Skiing, snowmobiling, snowboarding, ice skating, etc etc. Instead you have to drive 2+ hours north to do such things (in adverse driving conditions) Instead everyone in CT just complains about how miserable winter is for 4+ months. Up here in NH people are outside Enjoying the snow, going snow shoeing, going skiing, going snowmobiling.

When there is a lack of snow and cold up here, people are actually depressed about it. The depressing thing about winter for me is 2" of rain in january washing away all the snow or staring at the brown ground for months. And lets face it, winter on most of the east coast is brown, cold and dark for most of the season. unless your moving to southern florida your going to be staring at brown dead landscape with temps in the low 40s. At least up north you can go out and play in the snow!
Playing in the snow? Children play in the snow - adults who have to get to work and would rather not be killed on the highway trying to getting there. Your hilly, narrow, snow covered roads are awful in the winter up there, while we in CT/NY/NJ enjoy less than half the snow… winter starts later and ends earlier here than up north. I know people in NH and other far northern states who find winter totally miserable and hate every second of it. YOU might like your long winters…but many hate them. Many of us down here LOVE to hear the word “rain” in Dec, Jan, or Feb. We get enough snow in the Tri-State area to make it interesting - but not sickening like up where you are.

As far sunshine and the look of winter ….obviously you don’t leave New England much - from South Carolina southward the East Coast is green all winter, and most areas on the East Coast from Connecticut southward get far more winter sunshine than the miserable New England states do. Places in South Carolina get almost double the hrs of sunshine that New Hampshire gets. In fact, parts of northern New Hampshire are the cloudiest areas on the whole USA mainland outside the PNW – that speaks volumes:

You can keep the snowmobile pics....I'd rather see the sun

Last edited by wavehunter007; 09-10-2013 at 12:29 PM..

Old 09-10-2013, 12:26 PM

Quote:

Playing in the snow? Children play in the snow - adults who have to get to work and would rather not be killed on the highway trying to getting there. Your hilly, narrow, snow covered roads are awful in the winter up there, while we in CT/NY/NJ enjoy less than half the snow… winter starts later and ends earlier here than up north. I know people in NH and other far northern states who find winter totally miserable and hate every second of it. YOU might like your long winters…but many hate them. Many of us down here LOVE to hear the word “rain” in Dec, Jan, or Feb.

As far sunshine and the look of winter ….obviously you don’t leave New England much - from South Carolina southward the East Coast is green all winter, and most areas on the East Coast from Connecticut southward get far more winter sunshine than the miserable New England states do. Places in South Carolina get almost double the hrs of sunshine that New Hampshire gets. In fact, parts of northern New Hampshire are the cloudiest areas on the whole USA mainland outside the PNW – that speaks volumes:

You can keep the snowmobile pics....I'd rather see the sun
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
I get it, you don’t like snow, why do we have to keep arguing about this? People who live up north and don’t like the snow should move SOUTH! Cold, snowy winters up here are a fact of life. I’m very happy for you that you do not have to live in this awful snow. People dying to get to work because of snow? yeah I’m pretty sure 90% of the population dies off every time there is a snow storm and people have to drive to work in it. I bet more people get in accidents in atlanta when it snows then they do in boston....

CT may have 1-2 weeks of extra spring or fall then NH, but thats about it, I know I have lived in both locations and travel back and forth more then I'd like to. As for South Carolina getting more sunshine, maybe, but I have been to Georgia and February and let me tell yah, it was cloudy, cold and everything was dead. I was actually pretty surprised by that. I also find it quite historical when they actually do get a half inch of snow down there and the entire city shuts down.

Fortunately northern NH almost always has white bright snow on the ground most of the winter helping to offset the darkness of the clouds.

Old 09-10-2013, 12:46 PM

Quote:
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
I get it, you don’t like snow, why do we have to keep arguing about this? People who live up north and don’t like the snow should move SOUTH! Cold, snowy winters up here are a fact of life. I’m very happy for you that you do not have to live in this awful snow. People dying to get to work because of snow? yeah I’m pretty sure 90% of the population dies off every time there is a snow storm and people have to drive to work in it. I bet more people get in accidents in atlanta when it snows then they do in boston....

CT may have 1-2 weeks of extra spring or fall then NH, but thats about it, I know I have lived in both locations and travel back and forth more then I'd like to. As for South Carolina getting more sunshine, maybe, but I have been to Georgia and February and let me tell yah, it was cloudy, cold and everything was dead. I was actually pretty surprised by that. I also find it quite historical when they actually do get a half inch of snow down there and the entire city shuts down.

Fortunately northern NH almost always has white bright snow on the ground most of the winter helping to offset the darkness of the clouds.
...and you love snow....I get that too. Your attempting to say your perspective of the worse/colder/snowier winter up north is the only one...it's not.

Spin will not change the facts - CT does have 2 more weeks (at least) in fall and 2 more weeks (at least) in spring of better weather. Same with the nasty roads up there: Data shows that motorists are more likely to have an accident in bad weather (esp snow/ice) than at other times. That;s the facts, don't shoot the messenger. Same with sunshine, all areas on the East Coast from CT southward get more winter sunshine than the sunless New England states. Yes, maybe the Mts of north Georgia in/above Atlanta might not be green in a severe winter....but on average EVERYWHERE on the East Coast from Wilmington, NC southward had partial green trees/grass/palms...etc and much, much sunshine that New Hampshire ever will. You should get out of New England more - it might shock you

This was North Myrtle Beach, SC in January a few years ago...far greener and brighter(sunny) than it would ever be in the awful northern New England states at that time of year:

[/url]

The climate of Northern New England might be nice to some....but just as many find it quite nasty

Old 09-10-2013, 12:53 PM

Quote:
...and you love snow....I get that too. Your attempting to say your perspective of the worse/colder/snowier winter up north is the only one...it's not.

Spin will not change the facts - CT does have 2 more weeks (at least) in fall and 2 more weeks (at least) in spring of better weather. Same with the nasty roads up there: Data shows that motorists are more likely to have an accident in bad weather (esp snow/ice) than at other times. That;s the facts, don't shoot the messenger. Same with sunshine, all areas on the East Coast from CT southward get more winter sunshine than the sunless New England states. Yes, maybe the Mts of north Georgia in/above Atlanta might not be green in a severe winter....but on average EVERYWHERE on the East Coast from Wilmington, NC southward had partial green trees/grass/palms...etc and much, much sunshine that New Hampshire ever will. You should get out of New England more - it might shock you

This was North Myrtle Beach, SC in January a few years ago...far greener and brighter(sunny) than it would ever be in the awful northern New England states at that time of year:

The climate of Northern New England might be nice to some....but just as many find it quite nasty
Great thanks for clearing that up, can we both just agree on one thing, CT sucks, and on that point, we both think the weather there is bad (but for different reasons) Enough about the weather tho, it is what it is and its only one bullet on a very long list of reasons why I dont like CT...

Old 09-10-2013, 02:28 PM

34,917 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
True story time,

Was down in CT on Sunday for a family gathering. We were eating desert around the table, about 20 of us, several of us “younger” “kids” (30 year olds +/- ) have moved out of state to NH, MA, NY, etc. we all had to drive home later that evening. One of the older guy says, “wow all you guys have to drive hours and hours home later on, we just gotta drive down the road” trying to bust balls. So I fired back with “yeah well you all have to live in CT” and pretty much the entire room of CT residents was like “yeah, he has got us there”. Not one single person tried to defend CT. in my opinion that speaks volumes.

CT is not a terrible place to live, there are worse places for sure. But when compared to the rest of the north east it’s pretty low on the desirability scale.
Really? What kind of family do you come from? What makes them think Connecticut is less desirable than any of the places you mention. It is still the wealthiest state in the country, has stunning places to live and people are more than willing to pay a premium to live here. If you had asked this question to my family they would have jumped all over you (as would I). I think everyone needs to take this "true story" with a grain of salt. Jay

Old 09-10-2013, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Really? What kind of family do you come from? What makes them think Connecticut is less desirable than any of the places you mention. It is still the wealthiest state in the country, has stunning places to live and people are more than willing to pay a premium to live here. If you had asked this question to my family they would have jumped all over you (as would I). I think everyone needs to take this "true story" with a grain of salt. Jay
They are just fed up with the ever increasing taxes, the ever increasing of nanny laws and the downward spirl of CT politics. I wish one of them would have tried to stick up for CT, I would have loved to hear their argument. The "its inbetween NYC and Boston" and the "its the richest state" argument only goes so far.

Old 09-10-2013, 02:36 PM

34,917 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Great thanks for clearing that up, can we both just agree on one thing, CT sucks, and on that point, we both think the weather there is bad (but for different reasons) Enough about the weather tho, it is what it is and its only one bullet on a very long list of reasons why I dont like CT...
Sorry I really do not agree with you. In fact I feel exactly opposite. I have lived in several states for a time and looked carefully at what other states have to offer. Connecticut by far exceeds at the things I care about. Things like education, health care, quality of living and aethetics are more important to me than slightly lower taxes, big crowded cities and slightly lower housing costs. You may not like Connecticut but most others love it here. To me it sounds like you either do not know our state or are just saying things to spark people. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut