Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 07:10 PM

24 posts, read 27,908 times

Advertisements

I can understand how Wegmans gets overhyped for some people and they wonder what the big deal is about when they walk into a sub par location like the East Syracuse location. Yeah, the big ones have very nice selection and low prices, but that isn't what sets them apart. It is the store brand product. Wegmans and HEB are the only two store brands I know where the store brand products are better than the name brand products.

I hope the Hartford are actually lands a Wegmans, but I'm not counting on it. They are very choosy and slow to move into new markets. An issue that might be holding them back is the alcohol selling restrictions. All the Wegmans in western New York and Massachusetts have incredible beer selections. They couldn't provide that in Connecticut.

I look forward to checking out Big Y. Stop N' Shop and Shop Rite left a lot to be desired, but they got the job done. I will be driving up to Worcester to hit up their Wegmans every once in a while. The old-fashioned sub shop is worth the trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2015, 04:29 AM

11,294 posts, read 18,872,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Interestingly Consumer Reports just reviewed supermarkets in their latest issue and Wegmans was No. 1. Stop & Shop was near the bottom. Stop & Shop is the dominant store in Connecticut but thre are a few others including Shop Rite and Big Y. You have to realize that supermarkets are regional and Wegmans is only now beginning to expand into New England. The problem for them is that there are few good sites available for new supermarkets. One store we have that you may like to checkout is Stew Leonard's which is a dairy store that has grown into a market selling meats, produce and specialty store made foods. It is a pretty good store. Jay.
Another issue is that they plan stores years in advance and take years to actually put one up as noted on the "new stores" section of their website, which doesn't even note the Brooklyn store (but does note that in 2015 they are opening a Massachusetts store in a suburb of Boston and another one just a stone's throw from the George Washington Bridge in Bergen County, NJ).

I thought with the NYC store coming and the fact that they have a couple of stores in the NJ suburbs of the tri-state area now that maybe we are getting one in Westchester and/or CT soon. But it appears the Brooklyn store is not actually opening until 2017 sometime! So I would assume unless they expand/build more aggressively that the soonest you'd see a CT store (be it in the Hartford area or in FFC) would be the end of this decade at best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddjembe mutombo View Post
I can understand how Wegmans gets overhyped for some people and they wonder what the big deal is about when they walk into a sub par location like the East Syracuse location. Yeah, the big ones have very nice selection and low prices, but that isn't what sets them apart. It is the store brand product. Wegmans and HEB are the only two store brands I know where the store brand products are better than the name brand products.

I hope the Hartford are actually lands a Wegmans, but I'm not counting on it. They are very choosy and slow to move into new markets. An issue that might be holding them back is the alcohol selling restrictions. All the Wegmans in western New York and Massachusetts have incredible beer selections. They couldn't provide that in Connecticut.

I look forward to checking out Big Y. Stop N' Shop and Shop Rite left a lot to be desired, but they got the job done. I will be driving up to Worcester to hit up their Wegmans every once in a while. The old-fashioned sub shop is worth the trip.
A lot (but not all) of the Syracuse-Buffalo area Wegmans (their original area) are pretty plain because they never "changed" them when they started expanding outward.

I'm betting their first CT location would be in Stamford a la Fairway......

Old 12-17-2016, 04:11 PM

328 posts, read 425,459 times
Default Wegmans Supermarket coming close to Connecticut/Westchester Border

As reported in the LoHud Journal, a Wegmans Superstore is finally within reach of lower Fairfield Cty. The acclaimed upstate NY and New England grocery store, known for its vast array of inventory (including sensational house brands) is headed for the interchange at 15 and 287 in Harrison. Wegmans grocery store coming to Harrison

Although the build will take a couple of years, this is big news for shoppers. The location does seem a bit odd, but it looks like the store will anchor a new residential compound.

Old 01-09-2018, 02:26 PM

34,917 posts, read 56,893,272 times
I am bringing back an old thread concerning whether Wegman's, the great upstate New York supermarket chain will ever come to Connecticut. Apparently Wegman's is coming to Westchester with a new store in nearby Harrison. How long do you think it will be before they jump the state line and come to Connecticut. Hopefully soon. Jay

https://westfaironline.com/97900/weg...e-in-harrison/

Old 01-09-2018, 02:35 PM

8,498 posts, read 4,552,009 times
Wegman's now has six MA locations:

Northboro
Newton/Chestnut Hill
Westwood
Burlington
Medford

No locations in the other five New England states. Only in NY, PA, VA, NJ, MD, and MA at this time. Most of the non NY stores are located in high income demographic areas. Would think Fairfield County and some suburbs outside Hartford would fit that model.

Old 01-09-2018, 03:15 PM

11,294 posts, read 18,872,835 times
I think inevitably they will have a FFC location somewhere, however, it could be awhile as it seems the Brooklyn and Harrison locations are taking time to come to fruition. The closing in Harrison is well over a year after the announcement, so there hasn't even been a groundbreaking yet, which makes me think we may not see it until even 2020. That "undetermined date" for the Brooklyn store in the article, well for a long time they were saying sometime in 2017, now some are saying maybe not until 2019 even. I don't know what the holdup is:

https://ny.curbed.com/2016/6/21/1198...pening-delayed

Wegmans in Brooklyn won't open until 2019 - Business Insider

I could honestly see the FFC location once they decide on one not opening until the mid-2020s. Yes, that was not a typo.

Old 01-09-2018, 04:35 PM

1,440 posts, read 1,238,727 times
I honestly am not impressed by Wegman's! I did work, in Summer '16 up in Rochester and would frequent the original one. It's cool, but it's really just similar to a Whole Foods.

I do have to say though, that CT grocery stores are TERRIBLE compared to any where else. For CT, Wegman's would be a serious improvement.

I wish Ralph's and Sprouts would hit CT!

Old 01-09-2018, 04:50 PM

138 posts, read 114,762 times
This is an interesting thread. I won't deny that Wegman's, in Western and Central NY, is absolutely #1. But when they go outside their home area, are they just as good?

I moved to CT from the Albany, NY region... pretty much Price Chopper territory. In the Albany area, Price Chopper/Market 32 is an absolutely excellent store, that really was not that far behind Wegman's, in my opinion. Then, I move to CT, and go to the Price Chopper's around here, and I feel like I am in a completely different store. The PC's here (and I primarily reference Bristol and Southington) are absolutely nothing compared to the PC's in the Albany area. It's very evident, as a long-time Albany-area resident, that this area is second-fiddle to PC.

So, that's why I find Stephy's reply interesting, saying that Wegman's isn't as impressive as it gets made out to be. Maybe, like Price Chopper, they are just not the same outside of their home region. I'd love to have Wegman's here, but I won't automatically assume it will be like a Wegman's in Buffalo or Rochester.

Old 01-09-2018, 05:01 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephy0519 View Post
I honestly am not impressed by Wegman's! I did work, in Summer '16 up in Rochester and would frequent the original one. It's cool, but it's really just similar to a Whole Foods.

I do have to say though, that CT grocery stores are TERRIBLE compared to any where else. For CT, Wegman's would be a serious improvement.

I wish Ralph's and Sprouts would hit CT!
Yes. Wegman's doesn't impress me either. Just an enormous store with lots of stuff. I didn't find it practical for getting what I wanted. It's way too huge. It was more like going to a tourist attraction!

What I miss from MA is Market Basket, a family owned chain that will never come here. They keep it local, keep the prices low, pay their employees well and treat them well. They have great customer service. The stores aren't gorgeous and huge but they will get whatever you want. If prices get too high on something they discontinue it for a while until prices get back to normal.

Having moved to CT recently, I'm still in grocery store shock. Stop and Shop? I always said I'd never go there but now I have to. Shop Rite is a little bit better. I'd like to see more Aldi's--nice shiny new ones that carry high quality products that people want. There's a good one in Wethersfield. If only I lived near Wethersfield!

Old 01-09-2018, 05:38 PM

830 posts, read 1,092,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I am bringing back an old thread concerning whether Wegman's, the great upstate New York supermarket chain will ever come to Connecticut. Apparently Wegman's is coming to Westchester with a new store in nearby Harrison. How long do you think it will be before they jump the state line and come to Connecticut. Hopefully soon. Jay

https://westfaironline.com/97900/weg...e-in-harrison/
This location is really Purchase/Rye Brook, only a few miles from the state border, so will give those of us in the lower FFC corridor a realistic Wegman's option. Wonder if it will stand up to the hype.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut