Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 03:40 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,941,124 times

Advertisements

I would also look at Woodbridge and Orange. Both have great school systems (Woodbridge is the better of the two, although they both share Amity high school with Bethany) and have easy access to the Merritt and 95. The commute to Hartford would be about 20 to 30 min shorter than from Fairfield and your housing dollar will go farther than Fairfield. Woodbridge is the more rural of the two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2013, 06:04 AM

399 posts, read 850,734 times
Hi, and welcome. A few thoughts:

I live in Fairfield, and you can certainly find something very nice for $600k. Even nicer if you can go up to the $650k price point. The school district is excellent, and is a big part of the town. There are 2 high schools - Ludlowe and Ward - with Ludlowe being the "more desirable" one by most people, but I think that's more snobbishness than reality. There are lower-priced homes and lower-income areas on the east side of Fairfield, where the Ward district is, but it's still certainly very nice. That area would be great for a $600k budget (Stratfield, in particular), and you'd be right off the Merritt for a commute to Hartford and drive to LI. We drive down to Brooklyn and western LI often, and can cross the Whitestone bridge in 40 to 45 minutes.

Easton and Redding are absolutely beautiful, although a bit too rural for me (think about drive 15 min to a store). There are some great farms and hiking areas, so we go there often (10 min from Fairfield), but it's too rural for me. Trumball is nice too, but from what I understand from this board, the schools aren't as great (not looking to start a school debate here though).

Lastly, I haven't been myself, but we keep hearing wonderful things about West Hartford re: schools, the town, shops, and restaurants. Depending on how often you go down to LI, it's probably worth looking in that area too. You'd be adding an extra 45 -60 min to your LI trips each way, but your husband would be saving almost as much every work day --- might be a good tradeoff, but that's for you to decide.

Best of luck - happy to sell you on Fairfield, but you do have a lot of options.

Old 08-07-2013, 08:17 AM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
Look on Realtor.com. Fairfield is much more expensive than Madison. $600k will get you a good house, but nothing like what it would get you in Madison. Easton and Redding are more expensive than Madison too. Trumbull is comparable. Either way, not a fun commute. Forget Redding for a Hartford commute, it's not at all practical because of the poor highway access.

I agree you should look into Woodbridge and Orange. A much more reasonable commute than Fairfield, same quality of schools, and your budget will go further. And still decent access to LI, especially if you're just taking the ferry.

Old 08-07-2013, 09:23 AM

399 posts, read 850,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Look on Realtor.com. Fairfield is much more expensive than Madison. $600k will get you a good house, but nothing like what it would get you in Madison.
Wow, just made the mistake of looking myself...

Old 08-07-2013, 09:29 AM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse_f View Post
Wow, just made the mistake of looking myself...
Yep, Fairfield is very spendy for a Hartford commute.

Look what even $500k gets you in Woodbridge: 20 Salem Rd, Woodbridge, CT 06525 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

JMO: save your money, OP.

Old 08-07-2013, 10:55 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy of O and L View Post
Thank you all for your help.
I am really looking for a wonderful school district for my children. That is my main goal. I am a teacher who has put her career on hold to stay home with the kiddies. My husband works in the Hartford area, but he is wiling to do the commute thing, as he does now. We lived in Norwalk and are now in Seymour. We looked into Madison, but for what we could buy, the properties seemed to be in the middle of nowhere. I was disappointed. Our agent suggested Easton, Redding, Fairfield, and Trumbull. Any thoughts, especially on those school districts? Thanks!
Your husband works in the Hartford area and you are looking into towns that are at least an hour away? Why? His daily commute in rush hour traffic trumps you being able to visit family on LI?

There are MANY great towns in the Hartford area that are as good as or better than the towns you mention. Why put your husband through a daily long distance commute unless you have to. It does not make any sense.

Without knowing your criteria, I would recommend looking into what are considered the top suburbs near Hartford: West Hartford, Farmington, Avon, Simsbury and Glastonbury. These are beautiful towns with great schools and a lot of family activities. There is excellent shopping and entertainment nearby and without all the hassle that you get when you live in Fairfield County. Even better, homes in these towns are lower priced so you should be able to afford a nicer home for your money. $600,000 gets you a great place in these towns and you really would not be further from LI than you would if you lived in Madison which you also considered. I would strongly recommend you reconsider your options and move someone that is closer to your husband's job. You will not regret it. Jay

Old 08-07-2013, 11:03 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy of O and L View Post
He used to commute from Norwalk to the Hartford area, so he could do this. I have to look into the Fairfield School System more. Based on what we could afford, is there an area of Fairfield you could recommend to me? I think there are two high schools, right? Is one more desirable? Thanks!
All of Fairfield is good. The western side of town is a little more pricey than the east but that has a lot more to do with there being slightly easier access to the train station and employment centers in lower Fairfield County as well as being near the top sections of town (Southport and Greenfield Hill) than really being better. The new Fairfield Metro Center train station has opened up the east side of town to easier commutes now.

You are correct that there are two high schools in Fairfield, Fairfield Warde and Fairfield Ludlowe (why they put Fairfield in front of what were ALWAYS just Andrew Warde and Roger Ludlowe is beyond me). Both are excellent schools and their differences are very slight. They more relate to the socio-economic position of their students than the quality of the school. I would worry less about which school your kids will go to than finding a house that you like and meets you needs. Jay

Old 08-07-2013, 03:18 PM

642 posts, read 858,557 times
"Easton, Redding, Fairfield, and Trumbull. Any thoughts, especially on those school districts? Thanks"

I live in Trumbull and all the towns above are great and the school systems are very good. Easton and Redding are very rural with almost no stores. If you bought in one of those towns you would need to do a lot of driving to go to the bigger/commercial stores. Redding does have the Redding Roadhouse and they have great music there

Trumbull is probably the closest to Hartford. I took a ride up to Middletown (about 15-20 minutes south of Hartford) last week and it took about an hour. My husband and I were shocked that there was traffic. We took the Merrit to the Wilbur Cross to I91. If that is typical your husband will have a long commute. Here is one good thing about Fairfield/Trumbull. You can take the ferry out of Bridgeport to Long Island. My sister-in-law makes this trip with her grandchild to see her other grandparents and they say the ferry to Long Island is an enjoyable trip.

I am of the same mind as the people who recommend Woodbridge and Orange. They are both nice towns with good school systems and the commute would be much better because you can get on I95 quicker and the commute to Hartford is much shorter. You could get a great house for $600,000 in those towns too.

I might be wrong about this but I thought I remembed some investers were thinking about putting a ferry from New Haven to Long Island. It could have also been Stamford to NYC though. The older I get the more I am losing my memory lol.

Good Luck with your search.

Last edited by CTartist&musician; 08-07-2013 at 03:30 PM..

Old 08-07-2013, 07:55 PM

14 posts, read 21,736 times
Thanks to all of you.
I am reading a lot of suggestions regarding Woodbridge. Is it very rural? Also, can you please tell me more about the school system? Do they have their own high school? I would appreciate as much information on Woodbridge schools as possible. Overall, in your honest opinion, which school system is better - Fairfield or Woodbridge? You have all been so helpful! Thanks!

Old 08-07-2013, 08:23 PM

1,929 posts, read 2,037,963 times
Agree that Woodbridge is a better choice. It's not going to be much different than your dh's current commute since it's right down 67 from Seymour.

If you want to live in western CT and maintain a somewhat tolerable Hartford commute, you really need to be as close to 84 or the Merritt as possible. Preferably the Merritt, IMO.

I'd suggest Middlebury or Southbury, too, but the long haul through Waterbury to and from Hartford on 84 is brutal, and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut