U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2019, 11:16 AM

8,471 posts, read 4,458,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
Has anyone heard what the heck is happening to the UConn west Hartford campus? Itís radio silence. The only news I saw lately is that they are changing the C-suite like crazy and not planning on moving to the campus til 2020.
I hope the State merges the Community Colleges and Adult Ed programs under the umbrella of UCONN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2019, 01:20 PM

1,858 posts, read 785,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Can you link that please? I do believe you, as I work In NYC. Just like to see the full report.
Here is one for Seattle and some other cities.
http://irle.berkeley.edu/files/2018/...e-Policies.pdf
This one seems to show that the increase in wage does reduce hours but it still a net gain to the workers.

Old 02-22-2019, 06:30 PM

17,834 posts, read 6,802,102 times
I did find an article documenting the huge cut in hours worked , NYC restaurants, after the massive minimum wake hike.

Old 02-24-2019, 08:32 PM

17,834 posts, read 6,802,102 times
https://www.courant.com/sports/uconn...qnm-story.html

Rentschler Field underperforms economically.

Old 02-25-2019, 06:55 AM

2,805 posts, read 2,600,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NUHuskies01 View Post
This has been going on since the beginning of time/man itself. Unless you are planning on banning sex for people under a certain income threshold, its not going to happen, no matter how much education you provide.

Sex is the one "free" thing people can enjoy. It would be great if we could teach people to be responsible, use some sort of protection, but since a certain segment of the population looks to ban all sorts of protection, or even teach responsibility in the classroom, not likely to happen any time soon.

And you know what, you can still end up with a kid even if you use proper family planning. I know this one from experience, as a 2nd child who came about with less then a 99% chance. I was just lucky enough to have had the financial means/know how to make it work.

Every generation has poor people. Every generation has one parent families, not always from being poor and uneducated either. Every generation hates paying for them.

There is no one way to fix this. The best we can do is provide to these kids who are born into unfortunate circumstances the best chance to get out of them. But there will always be another generation right behind them.
There are ways to incentivize behavior, say providing extra benefits to people on public assistance who sign up for birth control. The problem is its politically a non-starter- the left would scream that its unfairly coercive and the right would hate birth control subsidized by the state. So we are left with the status quo.

Old 02-26-2019, 01:41 PM

1,858 posts, read 785,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
https://www.courant.com/sports/uconn...qnm-story.html

Rentschler Field underperforms economically.
it's been said before pretty much no economist on the planet thinks sports stadiums are worthwhile for a local economy. And this an extreme example of one being further made useless by the way it's contracted to run.

Old 02-27-2019, 08:39 AM

12,840 posts, read 6,718,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by East of the River View Post
it's been said before pretty much no economist on the planet thinks sports stadiums are worthwhile for a local economy. And this an extreme example of one being further made useless by the way it's contracted to run.

Have you ever been to Baltimore? The MLB ballpark and NFL stadium are a major anchor to the Inner Harbor revitalization. I doubt the gentrification from Federal Hill up to Johns Hopkins would have happened without the two sports stadiums. When you gentrify, the tax base in those areas soars and you have the revenue from sales/meals/lodging taxes plus state income tax on all those jobs.

I can't think of any other examples but I think it was a good ROI in Baltimore. MLB ballparks have 81 home games. An arena with an NBA and NHL team generate similar traffic. College and NFL football stadiums don't generate that kind of traffic.

Old 02-27-2019, 08:52 AM

377 posts, read 108,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Have you ever been to Baltimore? The MLB ballpark and NFL stadium are a major anchor to the Inner Harbor revitalization. I doubt the gentrification from Federal Hill up to Johns Hopkins would have happened without the two sports stadiums. When you gentrify, the tax base in those areas soars and you have the revenue from sales/meals/lodging taxes plus state income tax on all those jobs.

I can't think of any other examples but I think it was a good ROI in Baltimore. MLB ballparks have 81 home games. An arena with an NBA and NHL team generate similar traffic. College and NFL football stadiums don't generate that kind of traffic.

Barclay's Center in Brooklyn New York

Old 02-27-2019, 03:48 PM

267 posts, read 139,314 times
Lamont's billion dollars in new sales taxes should be great news for the citizens (who voted for him). They got what they voted for.

https://www.courant.com/politics/hc-...3me-story.html

Old 02-27-2019, 03:55 PM

267 posts, read 139,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by East of the River View Post

That is now a very old study. Washington DC, has had two booming areas around a arena and the Nationals Stadium. The Caps arena was private but Nationals stadium was public, so both typesof funding have been great for economy of the city.

The Hooker Brew Pub should enjoy a boost in biz. It's not a big deal but this is a start.....https://www.facebook.com/events/299463844072914/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut