Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2016, 02:54 PM

505 posts, read 424,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BicoastalAnn View Post
The problem though is with 700 now flooding the job market, and companies leaving or reducing operations in CT, there may not be jobs for them here. These are, presumably, middle class job seekers so it would be a loss to lose them to other states or to have them be on welfare down the line. Keeping state jobs if not necessary is not the answer, for sure, but I'd be concerned about how the job market will absorb them.

700 is still relatively minor and the layoffs are likely intentionally being staggered to both: 1) not upset state operations and 2) not overwhelm the labor force with additional people.

It's already been over 2 months since the first layoffs so many people have already had time to polish resumes and look around.

There are additional jobs in NY and MA. A huge portion of CT is accessible to jobs in both states- depending upon where people live. If they can't find a job, even something temporary, with so much ground to choose from then they should not have been employed by the state to begin with!

I get it... people hate change and want security but that doesn't exist for the private sector.

State revenues are down and more people need to be out and about rather than sitting around pushing paper or babysitting the welfare crowd.

Hopefully, this makes people think more practically when it comes to state issues, initiatives and development. We cannot let CT turn into a giant welfare state!

It's tough now but in a few years these people will be in new jobs the states finances will be in much better shape.

Old 06-08-2016, 03:13 PM

4,316 posts, read 4,168,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTDex View Post
700 is still relatively minor and the layoffs are likely intentionally being staggered to both: 1) not upset state operations and 2) not overwhelm the labor force with additional people.
First, CT is talking about 2500 employees to eventually lay off, not 700. That's about about 8% of headcount.

I don't have a problem with that. I think state may even need to go further. However, shrinking has to be comprehensive, and holistic. They can come back as easily as they go out.

Not just departments, agencies, procedures & protocols, but also laws / regulations have to be repealed, abridged, curtailed. Laws and regulations are what sustains the bureaucracy.

Secondly, cuts have to be made methodically and gradually, and business processes adjusted.

For example, a few months ago in NYC's Cranes and Derrick's office went from 5-6 engineers to two engineers. Guess what?

City's Real Estate and Construction Industry came to a screeching halt because the bureaucracy could not review the crane applications fast enough. It was made the news.

Old 06-08-2016, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
First, CT is talking about 2500 employees to eventually lay off, not 700. That's about about 8% of headcount.

I don't have a problem with that. I think state may even need to go further. However, shrinking has to be comprehensive, and holistic. They can come back as easily as they go out.

Not just departments, agencies, procedures & protocols, but also laws / regulations have to be repealed, abridged, curtailed. Laws and regulations are what sustains the bureaucracy.

Secondly, cuts have to be made methodically and gradually, and business processes adjusted.

For example, a few months ago in NYC's Cranes and Derrick's office went from 5-6 engineers to two engineers. Guess what?

City's Real Estate and Construction Industry came to a screeching halt because the bureaucracy could not review the crane applications fast enough. It was made the news.

I generally agree with this. The layoffs are occurring methodically, and the state hasn't come to a screeching halt from what I've seen.

It was important to get the ball rolling. Now that they are ongoing additional cuts can be made as well as changes to regulations, hopefully.

Old 06-08-2016, 03:58 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,475,357 times
2,500 is not that many people all considered and I hope you're right that they can find new jobs quickly in this market. Just seems like a dicey market in CT these days.

Old 06-08-2016, 03:58 PM

34,637 posts, read 56,391,795 times
Quote:
I generally agree with this. The layoffs are occurring methodically, and the state hasn't come to a screeching halt from what I've seen.

It was important to get the ball rolling. Now that they are ongoing additional cuts can be made as well as changes to regulations, hopefully.
I wonder if the slow layoffs are a ploy Malloy is using to get the unions back to the bargaining table? There may be things going on behind the scenes that we do not know about. Jay

Old 06-08-2016, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BicoastalAnn View Post
2,500 is not that many people all considered and I hope you're right that they can find new jobs quickly in this market. Just seems like a dicey market in CT these days.
CT may be dicey but there are more jobs in other states. If they live in the northern part of the state why can't they commute to MA? Stats have been showing that there has been much better job growth there.

I don't know how long it will take for them to find jobs - but it had to be done.

Hopefully, Malloy and Co will be on the road to Boston, NY, Silicon Valley, etc... to pitch CT to business interests to relocate here- instead of hanging around illegal immigrants and the welfare crowd. If there wasn't such a large growth in this crowd there wouldn't have to be so many state employees to help care for them.

Old 06-08-2016, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I wonder if the slow layoffs are a ploy Malloy is using to get the unions back to the bargaining table? There may be things going on behind the scenes that we do not know about. Jay
It's entirely possibly. It's also summertime so people could be on vacation or mentally checked out.

Last minute concerns or hesitations are other factors. There are likely a number of reasons.

Old 06-08-2016, 04:44 PM

503 posts, read 525,462 times
Quote:
CT may be dicey but there are more jobs in other states. If they live in the northern part of the state why can't they commute to MA? Stats have been showing that there has been much better job growth there.
Job growth in MA is driven by the Boston area and is not a statewide phenomenon. Hampden County and Worcester County, our MA neighbors to the north within commuting distance, have unemployment rates of 7.1 and 6.9% respectively and recent job growth that is similar or worse than Connecticut (around 0.8%). I'm beginning to accept the theory that if you aren't within close proximity to one of the cities that are hot with millennials, you aren't thriving in the new economy.

Old 06-08-2016, 05:04 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,475,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkOdyssey View Post
Job growth in MA is driven by the Boston area and is not a statewide phenomenon. Hampden County and Worcester County, our MA neighbors to the north within commuting distance, have unemployment rates of 7.1 and 6.9% respectively and recent job growth that is similar or worse than Connecticut (around 0.8%). I'm beginning to accept the theory that if you aren't within close proximity to one of the cities that are hot with millennials, you aren't thriving in the new economy.
Yeah I was going to say this... I don't think there's that much going on outside of the Boston area, especially around the border. I don't think it's a millenial thing necessarily.

Realistically, for the average Joe state worker who has likely been in the same job for a few decades, they're going to have a hard time finding a job in the private sector. It's such a different hiring atmosphere. It's not the state's burden to hold onto them but I would def be scared if I were those workers.

Old 06-08-2016, 05:05 PM

4,316 posts, read 4,168,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkOdyssey View Post
I wouldn't simply target millennials, who are transients to begin with. They get to 30 years old, marry and most move to the suburbs.

I would instead target wages -- good paying jobs. Good example was CT -- insurance, defense spread throughout the state.

Those jobs are gone, but CT cannot continue to win the battle only for retail workers or hotel janitors (no disrepect). CT needs to go after basically white-collar jobs -- IT, pharma, etc. and geographically spread throughout the state.

CT does offer tremendous value outside FFC -- excellent schools, nice park system, safe towns, fairly good road system. If good paying jobs (over 100k) were a lot more plentiful, we would be signing Euro-techno music here, and not blues.

So, the state needs to think -- what business climate do I offer to attract companies that will pay these wages?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut