Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2016, 02:01 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,488,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTDex View Post
I agree with the idea that most of MA's job growth is concentrated in Boston, just as most of NY's growth in concentrated around Manhattan. Still there may be opportunities in Western MA- especially if employees are more educated and versatile.

On a side note-

I believe we'll soon be testing the theory of CT's weathering recessions better than others.

It's about time, or very close, for us (the entire country) to hit another recession. It's already been 7 years and historically speaking the time is fast approaching to hit another one.
There are a few areas people have been eyeing for awhile: student loan debt crisis, tech bubble burst, advertisement tech bubble burst... any others you've heard about? Does CT have a lot exposure to these areas? I assume they will be pretty insulated from the tech bubble but there is a lot of ad tech and banking in NY that may ripple through FFC.

Old 06-09-2016, 02:18 PM

505 posts, read 428,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BicoastalAnn View Post
There are a few areas people have been eyeing for awhile: student loan debt crisis, tech bubble burst, advertisement tech bubble burst... any others you've heard about? Does CT have a lot exposure to these areas? I assume they will be pretty insulated from the tech bubble but there is a lot of ad tech and banking in NY that may ripple through FFC.

It's a long and complicated topic but there are some economic points suggesting it is near (weak GDP growth, weaker recent jobs data, manufacturing, etc...)-

Solely based on historicity of the U.S. recession cycle after 7 years - time is fast approaching.

"When" it will occur is impossible to predict but I would guess within 6 months.

CT is far more insulated from the tech, real estate bubbles in major cities (NY, LA, Silicon Valley-/San Fran), and financial services.

Student loan debt is a nightmare as well as the national debt these are not really factors overall since the situation is so bad. I don't expect them to be resolved.

We would get some ripple, but my feeling is not as bad as many others. CT real estate, for example is fairly stagnant, but San Frans has a long way to fall.

Old 06-10-2016, 04:16 PM

9,093 posts, read 6,314,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I also was going to say the same thing. You go to Fall River, New Bedford, Lawrence or Springfield and it is the same thing. It definitely appears to be the city of Boston that is giving the state such good employment numbers. Jay
Um this is incorrect. Lawrence is well within the Boston area and its job market. The fact is that Lawrence is an individual, mismanaged cesspool and suffers economically by repelling many business taxpayers. Andover is one of the strongest portions of the suburban Boston job market and it shares a border with Lawrence. Several other Massachusetts suburbs fall within a very short drive of Lawrence and have plenty of employers and job opportunities including North Andover, Tewksbury, and Wilmington. Lawrence is certainly not in the same scenario as Fall River, New Bedford and Springfield which all fall OUTSIDE commuting distance of Boston.

Old 06-10-2016, 04:24 PM

617 posts, read 538,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Have you ever been in that building? It is kind of scary since has not been renovated since it was built. Whether they like it or not, the renovation has been long overdue. It is a huge building so $180 million will not go far. Jay
Couldn't they get something more modest, and sell this to some bank? It's too luxurious and huge for a government building.
I say they should spend $50 mil. on a new smaller building, and spend the rest on bringing cities like Bridgeport back into proper shape, which currently looks like it just came out of major war.
Too bad the government will never ask opinion of the people it supposed to serve. So much for democracy.

Old 06-10-2016, 04:52 PM

4,317 posts, read 4,205,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTDex View Post
It's a long and complicated topic but there are some economic points suggesting it is near (weak GDP growth, weaker recent jobs data, manufacturing, etc...)-

Solely based on historicity of the U.S. recession cycle after 7 years - time is fast approaching.

"When" it will occur is impossible to predict but I would guess within 6 months.

CT is far more insulated from the tech, real estate bubbles in major cities (NY, LA, Silicon Valley-/San Fran), and financial services.

Student loan debt is a nightmare as well as the national debt these are not really factors overall since the situation is so bad. I don't expect them to be resolved.

We would get some ripple, but my feeling is not as bad as many others. CT real estate, for example is fairly stagnant, but San Frans has a long way to fall.
CT is fairly exposed because of increasing reliance on FFC. FFC is part of the "boom and bust" of financial markets.

Another dark cloud is the incoming crisis of fixed income, which would have a negative impact on bonds, corporate, CT or municipals. Fixed income fall would force even more outmigration.

As much as I would like to paint a rosier picture, I am afraid CT's legacy advantages are gradually eroding.

Last edited by Henry10; 06-10-2016 at 05:01 PM..

Old 06-10-2016, 04:55 PM

4,317 posts, read 4,205,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by civis View Post
Couldn't they get something more modest, and sell this to some bank? It's too luxurious and huge for a government building.
I say they should spend $50 mil. on a new smaller building, and spend the rest on bringing cities like Bridgeport back into proper shape, which currently looks like it just came out of major war.
Too bad the government will never ask opinion of the people it supposed to serve. So much for democracy.
On paper, we are where we want to be, intent-wise. We have representative democracy, limited by a by-design stable framework -- Constitution.

The problem is the professional political class, which has turned representation into an esoteric concept.

Old 06-10-2016, 05:41 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,489,693 times
Shucks Lost another one..company cites business climate and the need to be near the TECHNOLOGY HUB in TENNESSEE! Who knew people even had computers in Tennessee. Judging by the comments on this forum I thought only people in Connecticut were smart enough to own computers.

ooo..and this is the Corporate Headquarters leaving.

Canberra to move production out of Meriden citing in part state business climate MyRecordJournal.com |

Perhaps the the people who lost their jobs as mechanical engineers and highly skilled machinists can get a job at Amazon Warehouse.

Old 06-10-2016, 05:54 PM

34,048 posts, read 17,064,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
Shucks Lost another one..company cites business climate and the need to be near the TECHNOLOGY HUB in TENNESSEE! Who knew people even had computers in Tennessee. Judging by the comments on this forum I thought only people in Connecticut were smart enough to own computers.

ooo..and this is the Corporate Headquarters leaving.

Canberra to move production out of Meriden citing in part state business climate MyRecordJournal.com |

Perhaps the the people who lost their jobs as mechanical engineers and highly skilled machinists can get a job at Amazon Warehouse.
I'm surprised they chose Oak Ridge, not surprised they are leaving though for Tn.

Old 06-10-2016, 06:35 PM

1,220 posts, read 1,424,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
I'm surprised they chose Oak Ridge, not surprised they are leaving though for Tn.
Why would you have been surprised ... Oak Ridge is the site of one of the country's 3 Major National Labs .. the site of the Manhattan Project ... and continues today as the primary site for nuclear studies ... has the worlds fastest computer(Titan ).....nano-tech.... an increasingly large Biotech presence ... and has one of the highest educated populations in the country... on top of all the rest Tennessee has to offer business, tax and entertainment wise.

Its a big world out there ...

Old 06-10-2016, 06:58 PM

34,048 posts, read 17,064,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynic1 View Post
Why would you have been surprised ... Oak Ridge is the site of one of the country's 3 Major National Labs .. the site of the Manhattan Project ... and continues today as the primary site for nuclear studies ... has the worlds fastest computer(Titan ).....nano-tech.... an increasingly large Biotech presence ... and has one of the highest educated populations in the country... on top of all the rest Tennessee has to offer business, tax and entertainment wise.

Its a big world out there ...

Nashville though has the immense college population with Vanderbilt 1 mile from downtown. I lived 20 miles from Nashville, which took in a disproportionate % of new developments statewide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut