Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2014, 10:54 AM

34,818 posts, read 56,719,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
To not pursue what is left of manufacturing is crazy, though. It will never be 1955 again when GE in Ct had what, a 5 figure headcount, but why not go after what is available in EVERY sector-including manufacturing? It would require Ct no longer having some of the nation's highest costs of doing business, such as ultra high electricity rates per kilowatt hour. But why not put forth some effort, instead of sounding defeatist in your posts towards mfg being a thing of the past in Ct?
The answer is not that easy because it is not that easy to change the things you say to change. how do you lower electricity costs? Build more power stations? Because of Federal air quality regulations, that is not easy or cheap. Lower labor costs? How do you do that when the cost of major things like housing is so high? Maybe the only thing you can do is lower taxes but that alone is not enough. Despite what everyone thinks Connecticut still has a very strong economy otherwise our state's income levels would not be so high. Jay

Old 10-25-2014, 11:14 AM

2,394 posts, read 4,077,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
The answer is not that easy because it is not that easy to change the things you say to change. how do you lower electricity costs? Build more power stations? Because of Federal air quality regulations, that is not easy or cheap. Lower labor costs? How do you do that when the cost of major things like housing is so high? Maybe the only thing you can do is lower taxes but that alone is not enough. Despite what everyone thinks Connecticut still has a very strong economy otherwise our state's income levels would not be so high. Jay
With electricity, it's not just power generation, it's delivery. The CT distribution system is undersized, but several attempts to add capacity were held up (maybe even killed) by NIMBY opposition. I'm not sure about the price, but I recall reading there's lots of hydro capability in Quebec that CT can't effectively use because of power line bottlenecks.

In CT it might be a little hard to get a clear picture on income in terms of the strength of the economy. What I'm thinking about is the great wealth accumulated over a long time in the state. What you'd like to know is how much of the high income level is due to legacy wealth effects versus the opportunity to create wealth now. The latter is a better measure of the strength of the economy going forward. When you think about the incremental effects, the statistics of few jobs created and few new corporations suggests the creation of new wealth is weaker in CT.

Just thinking out loud, so to speak. No idea how that could be researched.

Old 10-25-2014, 02:08 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,112,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
To not pursue what is left of manufacturing is crazy, though. It will never be 1955 again when GE in Ct had what, a 5 figure headcount, but why not go after what is available in EVERY sector-including manufacturing? It would require Ct no longer having some of the nation's highest costs of doing business, such as ultra high electricity rates per kilowatt hour. But why not put forth some effort, instead of sounding defeatist in your posts towards mfg being a thing of the past in Ct?
Because you can't go after EVERYTHING. You can't be all things to all people (or sectors in this case). We have to pick a couple of sectors and build the best business destination for those, capitalizing on our strengths-- which is not the cheap infrastructure, land and electricity that manufacturing needs. We need to build CT on a well educated workforce in a high QOL area.

If everything is special-- nothing is special.

Old 10-26-2014, 09:26 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,939,879 times
Quote:
Examine what the 47 states with lower KW charges than Ct are doing. If I recall, didn't Blumenthal want the UI distributing more, producing less years ago. Adding another profit-seeker in a grid adds cost.

Old 10-26-2014, 09:28 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,939,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest View Post

. What you'd like to know is how much of the high income level is due to legacy wealth effects versus the opportunity to create wealth now. The latter is a better measure of the strength of the economy going forward. When you think about the incremental effects, the statistics of few jobs created and few new corporations suggests the creation of new wealth is weaker in CT.

That is the $64,000 question.

Old 10-26-2014, 09:56 AM

14,028 posts, read 13,851,899 times
The Labor market CT report unemployed rate

1. Hartord 11.4 %
2. Waterbury 9.8%
3. Bridgeport 9.2%
4. New Haven 8.4%
5. New Britain 8.4%
6. New London 7.7%
7. East Hartford 7.5%
8. Windham 7.6%
9. Meriden 7.4%
10. Norwich 7.2%
11. Brooklyn, Killingly, Plainfield 7.1 %

Other cities

Stamford 4.8%, Norwalk 4.3%, Danbury 4.6%, Middletown 5.8%, Torrington 6.4%, Naugatuck 6.9%

http://www1.ctdol.state.ct.us/lmi/laus/laus.pdf

Old 10-27-2014, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest View Post
With electricity, it's not just power generation, it's delivery. The CT distribution system is undersized, but several attempts to add capacity were held up (maybe even killed) by NIMBY opposition. I'm not sure about the price, but I recall reading there's lots of hydro capability in Quebec that CT can't effectively use because of power line bottlenecks.

In CT it might be a little hard to get a clear picture on income in terms of the strength of the economy. What I'm thinking about is the great wealth accumulated over a long time in the state. What you'd like to know is how much of the high income level is due to legacy wealth effects versus the opportunity to create wealth now. The latter is a better measure of the strength of the economy going forward. When you think about the incremental effects, the statistics of few jobs created and few new corporations suggests the creation of new wealth is weaker in CT.

I am not sure why that matters. People can choose to live anywhere they want, especially if they have inherited wealth. Even so I doubt it would make a lot of difference since it is likely a small portion of overall state's median income. Many people with great wealth actually do have a large income. Their wealth is usually set in a trust which provides them with an income for spending money. They also get access to homes, cars, boats, etc. owned and maintained by the trust. So on the outside they look like they have all the money in the world to spend, they really have limited real income. Jay

Old 10-27-2014, 01:02 PM

I must say I follow economic development news pretty closely so I was surprised to find this buried in the Hartford Business Jornual's website. Seems like something that should be well publicized and on the front page rather than buried in an online newspaper. Jay

New York medical school to launch CT research center | HartfordBusiness.com

Old 10-27-2014, 01:27 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,477,069 times
Quote:
I must say I follow economic development news pretty closely so I was surprised to find this buried in the Hartford Business Jornual's website. Seems like something that should be well publicized and on the front page rather than buried in an online newspaper. Jay

New York medical school to launch CT research center | HartfordBusiness.com
Why is that buried?

The creation of more well-paying jobs is something that the current Governor should be proud of. They are going to forgive $7.25m of a loan if they can create 142 jobs. While I think the backroom is going to have a hard time figuring the actually jobs created over a 5 year span, this type of business is what we should be looking to lure into Connecticut. I would support giving this company $9.5M over giving $1m to a taco stand (like they did already). Bring in the jobs that pay good wages well enough so people can buy property. Don't give loans to companies that only pay low wages i.e. call centers and taco stands.

Old 10-27-2014, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
Why is that buried?

The creation of more well-paying jobs is something that the current Governor should be proud of. They are going to forgive $7.25m of a loan if they can create 142 jobs. While I think the backroom is going to have a hard time figuring the actually jobs created over a 5 year span, this type of business is what we should be looking to lure into Connecticut. I would support giving this company $9.5M over giving $1m to a taco stand (like they did already). Bring in the jobs that pay good wages well enough so people can buy property. Don't give loans to companies that only pay low wages i.e. call centers and taco stands.
I did not see it in the papers or online anywhere until today. Like I said this is the exact kind of thing I look for all the time. I am not sure why it was not more prominately annouced. Seems good for the state and Molloy. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut