U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 12:11 PM

2,505 posts, read 2,419,385 times

Advertisements

Just an interesting little conversation I had with a fellow co-worker today.

He spent 2 weeks in WY on vacation hunting, fishing and enjoying the beautiful weather/scenery. I asked him how his vacation was and after a couple moments of talking about what he caught he made this observation. While out there, he stayed with friends who moved from MA/CT and would watch the local news. He said that there was little to no talk of murders, rapes or armed robberies. He also said it's strange because everyone he came into contact with owned multiple hand guns/shotguns (way of life). He said the biggest thing they talked about was high school sports and some trash talking from school to school. He asked his friends if this was common and they agreed. They said aside from the occasional story of some drunk or domestic violence, news of "bad" crimes aren't that common.

On his way back, remember he's been gone almost two weeks, he was reading the local news station and found out there was 3 shootings in Hartford, armed robberies and a killing in New Haven. The question that arose was, "Is CT media using the phase "if it bleeds it leads" way to literal. Just look at WFSB the top stories are abduction, murder and a UCONN student that passed away (medical issues). I just want to see some good stories in the news.

He also said that he left one of the best/most beautiful places in the Country to come to one of the worst places in the Country (Hartford), but that is a story for another day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2013, 12:31 PM

1,134 posts, read 1,180,145 times
Not sure what the purpose of this post is.

Wyoming, a state that couldn't have less population density if it tried, has less violent crime than poor dense urban areas like Hartford or New Haven?

I need a super-surprised emoticon face.

Old 08-26-2013, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by basehead617 View Post
Not sure what the purpose of this post is.

Wyoming, a state that couldn't have less population density if it tried, has less violent crime than poor dense urban areas like Hartford or New Haven?

I need a super-surprised emoticon face.
I just thought it was interesting conversation. I should also mention that he is from Upstate Maine. I guess I could see your point about the density.

Old 08-26-2013, 02:58 PM

24,566 posts, read 40,120,453 times
Wyoming has less than 600,000 people in the entire state. That is one fifth of the size of Connecticut. In area Wyoming has almost 97,000 square miles, Connecticut only about 5,000. Cheyenne has a populaiton of about 60,000 which is smaller than some of the suburban towns here in Connecticut. Most people who own guns in Wyoming do so for hunting. These are two very different states so of course their crime rates would be different. Jay

Old 08-27-2013, 06:39 AM

3,161 posts, read 7,882,789 times
Higher the population density, the higher the crime stats. That isn't really shocking. Laramie, WY will always have a lower murder rate than Newark, NJ. Apples to oranges.

Old 08-27-2013, 06:53 AM

12,381 posts, read 22,620,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
Higher the population density, the higher the crime stats. That isn't really shocking. Laramie, WY will always have a lower murder rate than Newark, NJ. Apples to oranges.
Thats not always the case , Midtown Manhattan has a low crime rate , so does Downtown Jersey City and Guttenberg and those are super dense areas. Density does not always mean a high crime rate , there are some cities with high rates and others with low rates. You really can't make blanket statements like all of Newark or St. Louis or New Haven is bad...the violent crime is usually in one area. As for Wyoming crime , there drug and alcohol abuse is pretty high if i'm not mistaken.

Old 08-28-2013, 07:16 AM

2,321 posts, read 2,678,441 times
One thing CT news media loves to do is get you that all important FIRST REPORT then never come back to a story for a follow up. You hear of bad accidents, deaths, etc. and then see no updates on the story days later. No indication of what caused the newsworthy item or and type of information other than comments from readers.

IMO local news should keep away from the national/international news stations who do the 24 hour cycle, report it and dump it style. Local news needs to keep people up to date on the happenings of the many many towns in CT and provide solid updates on what is going on. WTNH pays a lot more attention to just the major cities like New Haven and may sometimes throw in a You Report It of a town nearby. Fox CT loves to focus on all towns outside of the NHC area, and they all love their weather and traffic.

I remember a few years back I went to the Big E and walked to the state expos. Each state had their calling like Vermont Cheese and B&J's, Maine had the baked potato, etc. I walked into CT and saw PEZ, a big weather station, and something about Dinosaurs. I was pretty embarrassed to be honest. But that is another discussion altogether.

If you want good local news you can either look on Patch or read the local paper. The Record Journal in Wallingford is amazing at providing information on my town and the town itself sends out bulletins on what's going on, adult ed, etc. When I was in East Haven I never got anything close to this.

Old 08-28-2013, 09:49 AM

751 posts, read 1,509,647 times
You also have to remember that media ad sales and viewership/readership numbers are much more important here in the Northeast (and frankly, in any major market metro-area). To my knowledge, Cheyenne and Wyoming in general is not considered a major market.

Thus, these news outlets will emphasize storylines that will grab people's attention. Most people won't click a story about how Little Johnny won the pie eating contest. However, people will click on stories about murders in their hometown or neighboring city.

This type of psychology is no different than rubbernecking on the highway. People don't slow down to observe how nicely the trees are growing on the Merritt Parkway. Instead, they'll slow down when there is an accident on the other side of the highway.

Old 08-28-2013, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comp625 View Post
You also have to remember that media ad sales and viewership/readership numbers are much more important here in the Northeast (and frankly, in any major market metro-area). To my knowledge, Cheyenne and Wyoming in general is not considered a major market.

Thus, these news outlets will emphasize storylines that will grab people's attention. Most people won't click a story about how Little Johnny won the pie eating contest. However, people will click on stories about murders in their hometown or neighboring city.

This type of psychology is no different than rubbernecking on the highway. People don't slow down to observe how nicely the trees are growing on the Merritt Parkway. Instead, they'll slow down when there is an accident on the other side of the highway.
I never thought of it that way, but it does make sense.

Maybe, I'll start a trend and admire the trees...

Old 08-28-2013, 04:43 PM

8,780 posts, read 16,240,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchrider View Post
If you want good local news you can either look on Patch or read the local paper. The Record Journal in Wallingford is amazing at providing information on my town and the town itself sends out bulletins on what's going on, adult ed, etc. When I was in East Haven I never got anything close to this.

No.No.No.

Patch has the highest quotient of psychopath "journalists" of any "media" outlet. Take everything from them with a large grain of salt, and refrain from "contributing" to their site. Trust me on this one. Nutjobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut