Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 10:01 AM

69 posts, read 98,682 times

Advertisements

Hey there, people.

I currently work in Stamford... actually I was born and raised here my entire life and I want out. Although my current job is in Stamford, I'm looking for an affordable place to live because, let's just face it - Stamford is very expensive and personally, I dread it here. The people aren't my type and I feel as though if I don't like the rush mentality in any way, shape, or form, then I'm some outcast (these are based from my experiences). Anyway, because I'm not looking to exactly go out just yet; I'm only 18 (19 in Oct) and work as a helper for a HVAC company so my take home pay isn't exactly suitable for being on my own just yet, but, where is a nice place around Stamford that would be best for me? I've been looking at NH county and have seen some affordable places that have potential to me.

Is there a city relatively nearby that has a mix of personality and laid-back attributes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2013, 10:28 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,863,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmck94 View Post
I'm only 18 (19 in Oct) and work as a helper for a HVAC company so my take home pay isn't exactly suitable for being on my own just yet, but, where is a nice place around Stamford that would be best for me? I've been looking at NH county and have seen some affordable places that have potential to me. Is there a city relatively nearby that has a mix of personality and laid-back attributes?
If you're not crazy about the pace of Stamford, you probably won't care for the pace of Bridgeport or New Haven either. Stratford and Milford probably won't have quite enough "personality" for you. "Affordable" with various personalities and a slower pace? West Haven would be my suggestion in NHC, but only if you work during off-peak hours, or commute via train if working peak hours.

Old 09-02-2013, 10:35 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
I think you will like the New Haven or Hartford areas better, They are smaller and more independent cities meaning they are not a part of the New York metropolitain area. Hartford is a great city with a lot of great things to move here for. It is more independent than New Haven which tends to have some ties to NYC. Jay

Old 09-02-2013, 10:53 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,863,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I think you will like the New Haven or Hartford areas better, They are smaller and more independent cities meaning they are not a part of the New York metropolitain area. Hartford is a great city with a lot of great things to move here for. It is more independent than New Haven which tends to have some ties to NYC. Jay
Hartford to Stamford won't be a practical commute though. And it sounds like the OP is really looking more for a suburb adjacent to a city, IMHO.

Old 09-02-2013, 10:55 AM

21,752 posts, read 28,086,032 times
If you move to NH County and you don't make much money, I would advise to get a job there. With the commute you won't be saving much on living expenses. There are plenty of HVAC companies in the New Haven area. Maybe you should check out the Valley towns - still close to your family in Stamford, very cheap, and a quick drive to New Haven, Milford, etc. for city/shopping/dining/social needs. Much more down to earth and slower paced than Stamford. Check out Seymour, Derby, Ansonia. Outside the valley, Hamden, West Haven, and East Haven could be good options.

Old 09-02-2013, 11:08 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Hartford to Stamford won't be a practical commute though. And it sounds like the OP is really looking more for a suburb adjacent to a city, IMHO.
To me it sounded like the OP would be changing jobs which is why I mentioned Hartford or New Haven. I would not recommend commuting to Stamford from Hartford at all. Jay

Old 09-02-2013, 11:14 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,900,631 times
I am not entirely certain what it is about Stamford that the OP doesn't like other than the "rush mentality" and housing cost. If he/she is looking for a smaller city and considering finding another job, I'd suggest Danbury or Milford, both are more affordable. But a commute to Stamford from NH county or the Danbury area would be unpleasant.

Old 09-02-2013, 01:01 PM

69 posts, read 98,682 times
I feel like I'm being observed with all this 3rd person talk lol.

For clarification, I will continue with my job in Stamford, however for future reference, I'm just looking for a suitable place to live when I'm ready to fly the coop. Stamford, at least for my current pay, is way too expensive to live in, hence why I'm asking for places around the area that are more or less affordable. We do however have one person where I work who commutes from Bridgeport to Stamford.

As for the person who asked about my dislike toward Stamford, it's just not for me. Who I am, what my personality is, and what's optimal for my happiness in life doesn't fit with Stamford. I feel restricted to ever try to expand my wings here.

I'm of course just drafting for the future. No moves will be sudden.

Old 09-02-2013, 01:36 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,231,092 times
Danbury. Definitely slower pace than Stamford and more affordable. Commute is not great, but it's not horrible And depending on the section of Danbury you can take back roads. A co-worker of mine commutes from the mill plain area and it takes her 45 minutes to downtown stamford. She takes Route 6, to 121, through Bedford, and onto the road which eventually becomes Long Ridge. It's a consistent commute with almost no traffic until you hit north stamford around the Merritt, and even then traffic is not terrible. Plus it's a very scenic route

Old 09-02-2013, 04:08 PM

21,752 posts, read 28,086,032 times
45 minutes from Mill Plain to downtown Stamford? She's putting you on. It's more like an hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut