U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-04-2013, 04:30 PM
 
Location: Tolland, Connecticut
691 posts, read 909,419 times
Reputation: 486

Advertisements

I've really had it with this state's sad infrastructure.

Route 6 between I-384 and the all too short expressway section is a freaking nightmare. TONS of trucks+ONE LANE in each direction=maddening frustration. Truckers use it because its the most direct way to get to Providence from Hartford. How is it that these two cities are not linked with at least a 4-lane expressway? Yes, I realize that I-84 was originally supposed to link the two cities, and the plan died due to environmental constraints. An alternative is sorely needed. Rural 2-lane roads simply do not suffice.

Yeah, it isnt the death-trap that it used to be ("Suicide 6"), but the traffic flow is just terrible. 30mph tops for 10+ miles sitting behind 18-wheelers, with absolutely nowhere to pass. Anywhere else, Route 6 would be a 4+ lane freeway (2 lanes per direction). But here...we apparently don't believe in this thing called infrastructure. Hell...I wouldn't even mind if it were a toll road.

CT has many positives. However, sometimes I almost wish I didn't have the stellar job that keeps me here. It's so tempting to want to pack up and relocate to some modernized sunbelt state where the roads can accommodate the population growth. Nevermind the fact that you can purchase a brand new home with all the modern amenities for a fraction of what they cost here. Sorry, but the 'rustic charm' crap just isnt appealing. I'll take McMansions and large ugly freeways any day of the week over the outdated garbage we call homes and roads here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-04-2013, 06:34 PM
 
2,706 posts, read 2,479,502 times
Reputation: 1208
They were supposed to. They got part of the way with 384, which was supposed to connect Hartford and Providence, but it got stopped due to environmental concerns. You can read all about it here:
http://www.kurumi.com/roads/ct/harttoprov.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2013, 07:36 PM
 
Location: Woburn, MA / W. Hartford, CT
2,065 posts, read 2,315,129 times
Reputation: 896
Fully agree...in fact I recently raised this issue too!

Curious About A Commute From CT Border Town To Providence

For what it's worth, from personal experience I've had luck going I-84 --> Mass Pike --> Rt 146 which is smooth sailing in the mornings. 95 minutes from West Hartford to Smithfield. On the way back, Rt 6 --> I-395 --> Rt. 2 is similarly low on traffic, and avoids the unsafe portions of Rt 6.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2013, 06:21 AM
 
Location: Connecticut
24,586 posts, read 40,140,661 times
Reputation: 6947
You can thank the Feds for killing Route 6. The Army Corps of Engineers did not agree with the roadway alignment ConnDOT and the towns wanted. They felt it impacted too many wetlands. This coming from an agency that has relocated rivers and drained marshland all over the country??? The state had even purchased the land for the new highway and was in the processing of designing the new road. Very frustrating. Governor Malloy is however seeking input into the states transportation priorities. Make your concerns known by sending them on this website: Future Transportation in Connecticut | Transform CT by MindMixer Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2013, 02:42 PM
 
Location: Trumbull/Danbury
6,130 posts, read 4,088,952 times
Reputation: 2212
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulpfiction View Post
I've really had it with this state's sad infrastructure.

Route 6 between I-384 and the all too short expressway section is a freaking nightmare. TONS of trucks+ONE LANE in each direction=maddening frustration. Truckers use it because its the most direct way to get to Providence from Hartford. How is it that these two cities are not linked with at least a 4-lane expressway? Yes, I realize that I-84 was originally supposed to link the two cities, and the plan died due to environmental constraints. An alternative is sorely needed. Rural 2-lane roads simply do not suffice.

Yeah, it isnt the death-trap that it used to be ("Suicide 6"), but the traffic flow is just terrible. 30mph tops for 10+ miles sitting behind 18-wheelers, with absolutely nowhere to pass. Anywhere else, Route 6 would be a 4+ lane freeway (2 lanes per direction). But here...we apparently don't believe in this thing called infrastructure. Hell...I wouldn't even mind if it were a toll road.

CT has many positives. However, sometimes I almost wish I didn't have the stellar job that keeps me here. It's so tempting to want to pack up and relocate to some modernized sunbelt state where the roads can accommodate the population growth. Nevermind the fact that you can purchase a brand new home with all the modern amenities for a fraction of what they cost here. Sorry, but the 'rustic charm' crap just isnt appealing. I'll take McMansions and large ugly freeways any day of the week over the outdated garbage we call homes and roads here.
Danbury to White Plains (technically there is a highway, but out of the way one)
Danbury to Stamford
Danbury to Norwalk
Danbury to Bridgeport
Danbury to New Haven
New Haven to Waterbury
New Haven to Bristol/New Britain
Stamford to Bristol/New Britain
All examples of cities in the general region that should be connected via a highway, but because of NIMBY's there are none, and each route above (with the exception of Danbury to White Plains) takes about 30 minutes longer then it should. Hartford to Providence is no exception and I'm sure there's some others as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2013, 03:04 PM
 
Location: Connecticut
24,586 posts, read 40,140,661 times
Reputation: 6947
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
Danbury to White Plains (technically there is a highway, but out of the way one)
Danbury to Stamford
Danbury to Norwalk
Danbury to Bridgeport
Danbury to New Haven
New Haven to Waterbury
New Haven to Bristol/New Britain
Stamford to Bristol/New Britain
All examples of cities in the general region that should be connected via a highway, but because of NIMBY's there are none, and each route above (with the exception of Danbury to White Plains) takes about 30 minutes longer then it should. Hartford to Providence is no exception and I'm sure there's some others as well.
With all of these highways, Connecticut would look like Long Island with expressways criss crossing each other every couple of miles. Not sure I would want that. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2013, 03:40 PM
 
Location: On the Rails in Northern NJ
12,381 posts, read 22,628,466 times
Reputation: 4504
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
Danbury to White Plains (technically there is a highway, but out of the way one)
Danbury to Stamford
Danbury to Norwalk
Danbury to Bridgeport
Danbury to New Haven
New Haven to Waterbury
New Haven to Bristol/New Britain
Stamford to Bristol/New Britain
All examples of cities in the general region that should be connected via a highway, but because of NIMBY's there are none, and each route above (with the exception of Danbury to White Plains) takes about 30 minutes longer then it should. Hartford to Providence is no exception and I'm sure there's some others as well.
Make them Railways ,dual corridors for Passenger and Freight....that would fix alot of Mobility problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2013, 04:27 PM
 
Location: Coastal Connecticut
14,721 posts, read 17,944,963 times
Reputation: 3333
Danbury to Norwalk is a big miss. Route 34 was supposed to connect to 8 in Derby. Not sure how beneficial that would've been.

Nexis, rail already exists in many of those places. CT is car-centric so it's just not that easy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2013, 04:42 PM
 
Location: On the Rails in Northern NJ
12,381 posts, read 22,628,466 times
Reputation: 4504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Danbury to Norwalk is a big miss. Route 34 was supposed to connect to 8 in Derby. Not sure how beneficial that would've been.

Nexis, rail already exists in many of those places. CT is car-centric so it's just not that easy.
Its not as car centric as you think , none of New England is...its pretty balanced....you just need to even the playing field.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2013, 05:09 PM
 
Location: Texas
2,394 posts, read 3,336,292 times
Reputation: 1397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Its not as car centric as you think , none of New England is...its pretty balanced....you just need to even the playing field.
No, you're wrong. The population of CT is spread out in a way that a random person is NOT conveniently close to any real or potential rail line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top