Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 02:43 PM

15 posts, read 41,066 times

Advertisements

How do the schools in Canton, Avon and Glastonbury compare. I know they all rate high and perform well. I am asking for some input from people who live in these towns and/or know the schools. I know that Glastonbury is larger compared to the others. Are the neighborhoods similar, quality of life., schools. Etc Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013, 04:46 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,774,520 times
Avon and Glastonbury likely better than Canton. Look at greatschools.org for ratings. Kids could get a great education at any of them. Glastonbury more conveniently located - on a major highway.

Old 09-10-2013, 06:03 PM

691 posts, read 1,149,655 times
All three towns have amazing schools, on par with any $30k per year private school in the country.

The choice essentially comes down to how quickly you need access to the rest of the state and beyond. The Farmington Valley is quite isolated. There's significant retail on Route 44, but otherwise is pretty much rural. It can take 20+ minutes to get to a major highway. On the contrary, Glastonbury is located right along Route 2, and is just a couple of minutes from both I-91 and I-84. The town also has a strong retail presence. It really is one of the most convenient towns in the state.

Some are scared off by the size Glastonbury's high school (>2000). Don't be. The school operates on a 'house' system, which is essentially several small schools within the school.

Old 09-11-2013, 06:13 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,416,528 times
You are comparing affluent town to affluent town- splitting hairs. They all have solid schools. Visit all three and pick the town you like the best that is in a convenient location for you. The towns each have a different feel and it is hard to say what will suit you best. Personally, I like Canton, Glastonbury, Avon (in that order).

Old 09-11-2013, 11:39 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulpfiction View Post
All three towns have amazing schools, on par with any $30k per year private school in the country.

The choice essentially comes down to how quickly you need access to the rest of the state and beyond. The Farmington Valley is quite isolated. There's significant retail on Route 44, but otherwise is pretty much rural. It can take 20+ minutes to get to a major highway. On the contrary, Glastonbury is located right along Route 2, and is just a couple of minutes from both I-91 and I-84. The town also has a strong retail presence. It really is one of the most convenient towns in the state.

Some are scared off by the size Glastonbury's high school (>2000). Don't be. The school operates on a 'house' system, which is essentially several small schools within the school.
Sorry to tell you but Glastonbury High School does not operate on a "House" system. I wish it did. I think the concept works well in larger schools. I went to school in Fairfield and their high schools operate on the house system. Andrew Warde's layout was excellent and made it very easy for kids to get around. Glastonbury High though is not laid out that well. It has hallways going off in different directions and is confusing IMHO.

That said it is an excellent school. My kids go there and we are pleased with the education they are receiving there and have no regrets.

All three schools perform well on the Connecticut Mastery and Connecticut Academic Performance Tests. Avon schools perform the highest, followed by Glastonbury and then Canton. This is more likely due to the socio-economic makeup of the towns rather than differences in the quality of education. Canton High School though is small in size so the variety of classes offered will likely be less than Avon or Glastonbury.

Also, as Parentologist noted Glastonbury offers better access to the highways and major employment centers. You can be right in downtown Hartford in 10 to 15 minutes from much of Glastonbury while driving over Avon Mountain and through West Hartford takes quite some time particularly in traffic rush hour.

Also note that each town has a different feel. Glastonbury is a bit more diverse with a wide range of housing options from small public housing apartments to large mansion type homes. Your kids will be exposed to a wider range of people in Glastonbury than Avon. Avon is more affluent with less lower income families. Canton is a less mature town than Glastonbury and Avon. It is located further from Hartford so it has more room to grow in the future. Glastonbury has a small walkable downtown area while Avon does not. Canton has a very small downtown area (Collinsville) but there are a lot of shopping areas along Route 44 including the lifestyle shopping center, The Shoppes at Farmington Valley. Again it is up to you what you want more in a new town. Good luck, Jay

Old 09-11-2013, 06:51 PM

691 posts, read 1,149,655 times
I must have been thinking of the other GHS (Greenwich High School).

Pretty surprising that Glastonbury doesn't run on a house system. While I realize they attract the very cream of the crop in terms of teachers and administrators, I'd imagine that it's still quite easy for a less than motivated kid to get lost in the crowd there.

That said...as a high school teacher myself, I'd pretty much kill to work there

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Sorry to tell you but Glastonbury High School does not operate on a "House" system. I wish it did. I think the concept works well in larger schools. I went to school in Fairfield and their high schools operate on the house system. Andrew Warde's layout was excellent and made it very easy for kids to get around. Glastonbury High though is not laid out that well. It has hallways going off in different directions and is confusing IMHO.

That said it is an excellent school. My kids go there and we are pleased with the education they are receiving there and have no regrets.

All three schools perform well on the Connecticut Mastery and Connecticut Academic Performance Tests. Avon schools perform the highest, followed by Glastonbury and then Canton. This is more likely due to the socio-economic makeup of the towns rather than differences in the quality of education. Canton High School though is small in size so the variety of classes offered will likely be less than Avon or Glastonbury.

Also, as Parentologist noted Glastonbury offers better access to the highways and major employment centers. You can be right in downtown Hartford in 10 to 15 minutes from much of Glastonbury while driving over Avon Mountain and through West Hartford takes quite some time particularly in traffic rush hour.

Also note that each town has a different feel. Glastonbury is a bit more diverse with a wide range of housing options from small public housing apartments to large mansion type homes. Your kids will be exposed to a wider range of people in Glastonbury than Avon. Avon is more affluent with less lower income families. Canton is a less mature town than Glastonbury and Avon. It is located further from Hartford so it has more room to grow in the future. Glastonbury has a small walkable downtown area while Avon does not. Canton has a very small downtown area (Collinsville) but there are a lot of shopping areas along Route 44 including the lifestyle shopping center, The Shoppes at Farmington Valley. Again it is up to you what you want more in a new town. Good luck, Jay

Old 09-12-2013, 11:56 PM

52 posts, read 114,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post

You live in Glastonbury?

Old 09-13-2013, 09:33 AM

69 posts, read 156,921 times
A few more thoughts on the 3 towns.

All have great schools though Avon and Glastonbury are a notch above Canton. However, Canton does have the smallest school of the 3, which is a big draw for many parents. I know several families who chose Canton simply because they wanted their kids to attend a small, close-knit high school.

Canton is very isolate and its hard to get to or from Canton. If you work in Bristol or Torrington, Canton is great option. However, the commute from Hartford is rough. Glastonbury is the most conveient town but it too has its share of traffice hassles.

As far as town quality, Avon and Glastonbury both offer alot - very nice town, lots of shopping, parks, etc. Canton is much smaller and has a more unique feel to it. Its a bit more "rough around the edges" than Glastonbury or Avon but also has the most character - Collinsville is a gem and it has plenty of great recreational spots and the Shoppes at Farmington Valley are very nice. If you are looking for something a bit more classic, go with Avon or Glastonbury. If you want a bit more variety/arts/character, go with Canton.

Old 09-13-2013, 09:57 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikecg123 View Post
You live in Glastonbury?
Yes, I do. Jay

Old 09-13-2013, 01:16 PM

2,080 posts, read 3,920,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulpfiction View Post

That said...as a high school teacher myself, I'd pretty much kill to work there
That's pretty interesting, as I can remember when I went through Glastonbury HS (1980-1984) the pay for teachers was ridiculously low. I can remember my English teacher complaining to his colleagues about their low pay vs education! My, how times have changed.

Last edited by Tetto; 09-13-2013 at 01:17 PM.. Reason: Add date
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut