Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 12:27 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,947,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Seriously. I have a gym membership I rarely have time to use. I can't imagine needing THAT much free time. My target sleep is 7 hours. If I get that, I feel great. I'm closer to 6 usually and it doesn't bother me too much. Weekends are 8-10 if I'm not stacked with errands.

Last year I was working 10-12 hours a day AND doing online classes/tests to earn about 30 credits in 8 months.

Never did I whine about it.
Well I do take my health seriously. I don't want to get fat or out of shape. I want to be in good shape and go to the gym 3 days a week, at least. Health is more important than career, etc.

Old 09-30-2013, 12:30 PM

21,751 posts, read 28,077,952 times
If you're working 8 hour days, I can't see what would stop you from working out 3 days a week if you had a little longer commute. I think you're just being a baby about it.

Old 09-30-2013, 12:32 PM

Quote:
If you're working 8 hour days, I can't see what would stop you from working out 3 days a week if you had a little longer commute. I think you're just being a baby about it.
Well right now I can easily fit in a 1-hour workout session, three nights per week, no problem. But adding an hour of commuting time to the day? Omg.

Old 09-30-2013, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Maybe, Idk. I actually like the Danbury area just fine. It feels completely different than lower FFC. Shelton area might be good too. Idk. But this I-95 corridoor area just sucks.
I think you are better off trying out one of those areas before changing your job. I would only warn against the Danbury area because it doesn't have a good train option if you decide the car commute is too much (you probably will). At least with Shelton/Stratford/Milford-area you can easily hop on a train. I think you'd be surprised how easy a train commute is. You can read, use a tablet, get another degree, etc. etc.

Old 09-30-2013, 12:40 PM

Quote:
I think you are better off trying out one of those areas before changing your job. I would only warn against the Danbury area because it doesn't have a good train option if you decide the car commute is too much (you probably will). At least with Shelton/Stratford/Milford-area you can easily hop on a train. I think you'd be surprised how easy a train commute is. You can read, use a tablet, get another degree, etc. etc.
Well look, I'm no where near in a position to buy a home anyway. It will be years before I reach that point (Down payment, etc.). So I'm probably better off just holding onto the job for a couple years, then moving back to bargain Hartford county and buying a house up there? Why should I lock myself down in an area that I don't like?

Old 09-30-2013, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Well look, I'm no where near in a position to buy a home anyway. It will be years before I reach that point (Down payment, etc.). So I'm probably better off just holding onto the job for a couple years, then moving back to bargain Hartford county and buying a house up there? Why should I lock myself down in an area that I don't like?
Because you have a great job. And who said you won't like other areas you could commute from? You're just being stubborn.

Old 09-30-2013, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Because you have a great job. And who said you won't like other areas you could commute from? You're just being stubborn.
I know for a fact that I would like the Danbury or Route 8 corridoor much more than down here. But even so, I think I'd still prefer the Hartford area over those areas.

But like I said, I may rather prefer to have a worse job but live in a better area. It's better than having a great job and living in a crappy area IMO.

Old 09-30-2013, 12:51 PM

The Hartford area really isn't much different.

What would the harm be in renting somewhere else for 6 months to a year as a trial to see if you could put down roots and buy a house? At least then you aren't abandoning your job without giving it a shot. It's easier to find places to live and have a trial with than careers/jobs.

Don't forget also that living in the Shelton area gives you commutability to a few different job markets for the future...

Old 09-30-2013, 12:58 PM

Quote:
The Hartford area really isn't much different.

What would the harm be in renting somewhere else for 6 months to a year as a trial to see if you could put down roots and buy a house? At least then you aren't abandoning your job without giving it a shot. It's easier to find places to live and have a trial with than careers/jobs.

Don't forget also that living in the Shelton area gives you commutability to a few different job markets for the future...
Yes, I understand. But I just don't want to live in FFC or even New Haven county. This whole southwestern region of CT sucks IMO. I can't let it happen. Plus, what if my next job in the Hartford area ended up being great, too?

Old 09-30-2013, 01:21 PM

I'm not sure where you're getting that the area is so much different than the Hartford area. It really isn't. Once you get away from southern FFC things start to get VERY similar across the state.

You're basing your opinion on an entire region based on a small area that you've lived in (Stamford/Norwalk). That's myopic at best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut