Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 08:56 PM

284 posts, read 533,865 times

Advertisements

Hi - I'm looking for suggestions for a great Italian restaurant in or around New Haven. We are looking for something simple, authentic, and not too fancy/expensive. Any suggestions? I see a lot of mixed reviews on yelp and there doesn't seem to be a clear winner..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2013, 09:03 PM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
In New Haven:

Skappo - New Haven, CT
L'Orcio Restaurant - New Haven, CT

I love both of those. Skappo is ultra authentic northern Italian cooking. It's NOT the typical Italian American red sauce joint. Think of it more like Italian tapas, and very true to what you would get in that region. L'Orcio is a bit more traditional tri-state Italian restaurant, but done really well.

A friend raved about Portofino. It looks nice, but you'll see mixed reviews. Also, have heard good things about Basta - but again, mixed reviews online. Have heard mixed things about Tre Scalini, and have heard Consiglio's is very good. Have tried neither. I went to Goodfella's and was not impressed by the food AT ALL. I think it's a gimmick.

Outside New Haven, I really like:

Nello's - Milford, CT - I have NOT been back since they changed owners, but before that happened this was some excellent no-nonsense Italian food.
River Street Restaurant - Milford, CT - Same. No frills Italian, very fresh. Cute inside, nice location. Reservations are recommended and they only take cash.
Biagio's Osteria - Stratford, CT - I've been a fan of this food since they had the food truck in Milford. This is great high-end Italian. One of my favorites in the area.

None of the places recommended are really expensive.

Old 10-02-2013, 06:48 AM

1,063 posts, read 1,362,001 times
I'm a big fan of Brazi's in New Haven, right on Long Wharf.

Are you Italian? Italians are really particular about Italian food... or something close to what their grandparents made. Brasi's hit close to home for me, so that's probably why I enjoyed it.

Also to Stylo's post: Skappo sounds interesting. Might have to try it.

Old 10-02-2013, 10:38 AM

284 posts, read 533,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Csiko View Post
I
Are you Italian? Italians are really particular about Italian food... or something close to what their grandparents made. Brasi's hit close to home for me, so that's probably why I enjoyed it.
Thanks for the suggestions, Csiko and Stylo. No, I'm not Italian, but I lived in Rome for a while and as such, have pretty high standards for Italian fare. I have yet to find anything that rivals Roman cuisine here in the USA, but my search continues...

Old 01-18-2014, 01:27 PM

413 posts, read 1,105,718 times
We went to L Orcio last week. Their ragu sauce was amazing: rich (beef, veal and pork mix), and spiced just right so that the meat could be tasted. It was made with home made pasta that was perfect. Their salad also was perfect. Their prices are fine.

Old 01-18-2014, 04:07 PM

1,030 posts, read 4,275,307 times
Obviously Wooster Street would be the place to be....

Theres a restaurant on Wooster named "Anastasios"

Ate there a few years ago and was highly impressed, Not sure of the prices though...

Anastasio's Italian Restaurant - Wooster Street, New Haven

Old 01-18-2014, 07:16 PM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonny View Post
We went to L Orcio last week. Their ragu sauce was amazing: rich (beef, veal and pork mix), and spiced just right so that the meat could be tasted. It was made with home made pasta that was perfect. Their salad also was perfect. Their prices are fine.
I've been once but keep hearing rave reviews. Need to return

Old 01-18-2014, 07:27 PM

21,615 posts, read 31,180,666 times
It's not quite in the New Haven area, but I went to Amicis in Shelton a few weeks ago - I was pleasantly surprised. The food was excellent.

Old 01-18-2014, 08:08 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,805,028 times
Nellos is not the same since the new owner took over. I WON'T be going back after we last ate there.

Old 01-18-2014, 08:39 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,943,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
In New Haven:

Skappo - New Haven, CT
L'Orcio Restaurant - New Haven, CT

I love both of those. Skappo is ultra authentic northern Italian cooking. It's NOT the typical Italian American red sauce joint. Think of it more like Italian tapas, and very true to what you would get in that region. L'Orcio is a bit more traditional tri-state Italian restaurant, but done really well.

A friend raved about Portofino. It looks nice, but you'll see mixed reviews. Also, have heard good things about Basta - but again, mixed reviews online. Have heard mixed things about Tre Scalini, and have heard Consiglio's is very good. Have tried neither. I went to Goodfella's and was not impressed by the food AT ALL. I think it's a gimmick.

Outside New Haven, I really like:

Nello's - Milford, CT - I have NOT been back since they changed owners, but before that happened this was some excellent no-nonsense Italian food.
River Street Restaurant - Milford, CT - Same. No frills Italian, very fresh. Cute inside, nice location. Reservations are recommended and they only take cash.
Biagio's Osteria - Stratford, CT - I've been a fan of this food since they had the food truck in Milford. This is great high-end Italian. One of my favorites in the area.

None of the places recommended are really expensive.
Biagio's is great. I've been there multiple times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut