U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2007, 10:25 AM

3,617 posts, read 8,713,728 times

Advertisements

The new "outdoor plaza and shops" has opened in Stamford at the Stamford Town Center. I have since visited twice and it is very exciting. It adds such a new level of shopping and eating out to downtown Stamford. The Barnes and Noble is massive with a gazillion shelves of selection, the H&M is a store that I cannot WAIT to open, and every single restaurant has been packed with a waiting list since its opening!
The mall will definitely benefit from these new stores--as they are more "destination shopping" for downtown Stamford. With all the new high-rise condos being built in the area, and the added corporations pouring in, this is such a huge addition to downtown Stamford. It's exciting.
Has anyone else been? Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2007, 03:32 PM

26,022 posts, read 41,984,206 times
I haven't been to the new shopss in Stamofrd yet but will try ot get there the next time I am in the area. Open air shopping centers are back in style. Funny I seem to remember a time when they were tought of a old fashioned. I wonder what these open air places will be like in 20 years. Will they still be considered good places to shop or will they be like enclosed malls tired and being looked down on as old-fashioned. We will see. Jay

Old 11-19-2007, 10:06 AM

4,102 posts, read 7,342,594 times
I think that it's an exciting development, and I think this type of project will stand the test of time. Since civilization began, basically, people have been doing business and congregating in "open air" street-level commercial areas. Only over the past 50 years (a blip in time, relatively) have enclosed malls and suburban shopping centers become popular, due to the advent of the car. People realize that this isn't the natural way to do things and they are going back to retail's historical roots.

Old 11-19-2007, 11:23 AM

4,459 posts, read 6,343,306 times
In Stanford California (near Palo Alto) there is a wonderful outdoor mall, on one level that has been around since the early 70s. There have been many updates over the years, and new stores and design changes. The mall is one of my favorites, with many fine stores, alfresco dining, wonderful sub tropical palms and plantings. Of course the mild temperate climate in the SF bay area makes this a wonderful concept in the California way of living. Stores vary from Saks, Neiman to Pottery Barn- its truly a wonderful experience.

Old 11-19-2007, 11:42 AM

Yeah, I think this can only increase pedestrian traffic, increase nighttime population making the area more safe, and create good things in and around the mall overall. Great concept going forward and now.

Old 11-20-2007, 11:01 AM

173 posts, read 559,472 times
Ah, the old "what goes around..."

Does anyone remember when the CT Post mall in Milford was an outdoor mall (of sorts)?? I can remember shopping there at Christmas when the weather was bad, and it was not fun to slosh from store to store in the rain/snow...

I totally understand the appeal of these pedestrian mall retail centers, but when the weather is bad (or even really humid), give me a nice covered parking garage and an enclosed mall where I can do my shopping in climate controlled, dry comfort!!

Old 11-20-2007, 05:11 PM

639 posts, read 2,446,231 times
Most malls in San Diego are open air. Of course the weather there helps.

Old 06-17-2009, 12:21 PM

1 posts, read 3,615 times
The small section of restaurants and H&M and Barnes and Nobles in the Stamford Town Center reminds me of the outdoor malls in San Diego, CA. I felt like it was hyped up in the beginning and everyone wanted to check it out, but now all the restaurants have died down. (Not to mention most of them are overpriced.) Since Stamford is expensive I think the residents deserve an up to date mall since there is no place else to shop in Stamford. The entire Stamford Mall should be re-done with a more updated look just like the new addition of resturants H&M etc.

Old 06-17-2009, 01:43 PM

268 posts, read 508,525 times
I still prefer the Westchester (just across the border) for a quick shopping trip. Hopefully the Stamford Mall will be revamped a bit.

Old 06-18-2009, 07:27 AM

I don't think the mall in Stamford is that bad. It's actually seen a lot of major somewhat more "upper-echelon stores" go in the mall in the past year: Zara, JCrew, Alan Edmonds, Ross Simons Jewelers, etc.
The mall's actual infrastructure is dated, but I think it's fine for the next several years. The one thing they should change is the Macy's exterior. It is like a massive fortress with hardly any windows. Plus the sidewalk going around the Macy's is ridiculously narrow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or