Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 11:30 AM

3 posts, read 5,773 times

Advertisements

My husband is considering a job offer in Wilton CT. If he accepts, we will be moving in the next three months. We have been living in the south for the last seven years, and have no family or friends in CT. (Although we do have family in both Boston and NY.)

We have three young children, so a solid public school system and family community is essential. Smaller city with access to culture and outdoor activities a plus. House price 900k and below.

Any recommendations - just somewhere to start our search (as we know nothing about the area!) - would be greatly appreciated.

Warmest thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2013, 12:33 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,230,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayenne621 View Post
My husband is considering a job offer in Wilton CT. If he accepts, we will be moving in the next three months. We have been living in the south for the last seven years, and have no family or friends in CT. (Although we do have family in both Boston and NY.)

We have three young children, so a solid public school system and family community is essential. Smaller city with access to culture and outdoor activities a plus. House price 900k and below.

Any recommendations - just somewhere to start our search (as we know nothing about the area!) - would be greatly appreciated.

Warmest thanks!
Wilton itself is a great town w/ top notch schools, but it's a town, not a small city at all. Ridgefield is right next door to the north -- also top notch schools, with a proper downtown -- lots of restaurants and shops, sidewalks to stroll, beautiful town park and other amenities. But it too is a town. Nearest small city to Ridgefield would be Danbury where you will find larger box & chain stores, shopping mall, etc. I'm not suggesting at all that you look there because Danbury does not remotely meet your other criteria -- I'm just mentioning it so that you know that there is a small city nearby for shopping (Read: not culture, shopping only) Another nearby town would be New Canaan, but your budget won't get you much, if anything at all. If it were me I'd look at Ridgefield first, then Wilton. I think you'll get more bang for your buck in Ridgefield too. You won't get a brand new, 3000 sf+ house w/ all the bells and whistles, but I'm sure you'll be able to find a nicely appointed slightly older (20+ year) home on a decent size lot in a very nice neighborhood. (Keep in mind that I haven't been following the real estate market closely for some time now, so I could be way off on my assessment -- if I am, I'm sure others will chime in soon.) Good luck!

Old 10-13-2013, 12:45 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,948,883 times
If you can afford it, I would start with Wilton. I think it's a great location to work, because you will be within reasonable commuting distances from a lot of nice places, including more affordable places to the north.

All the towns (as opposed to cities) have good school districts. It's really more about the culture/feel of the town and how much you like it, as opposed to other towns.

Old 10-13-2013, 12:54 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,861,134 times
I'd agree with the others that Wilton would be the first place to look. Then probably Weston and Ridgefield. You won't get much of a 4Br. house in New Canaan for your budget, so i wouldn't suggest it.

Old 10-13-2013, 01:06 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,230,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
You won't get much of a 4Br. house in New Canaan for your budget, so i wouldn't suggest it.
Totally missed that there are three children and that a 4 bedroom would likely be what you're looking for. Yes, absolutely forget New Canaan/scratch it off the list -- you won't find anything there. Stratford's suggestion on Weston is also a good one. Wilton, Ridgefield, Weston -- even Redding although it's a small sleepy town, would all be great choices.

Old 10-13-2013, 01:54 PM

3 posts, read 5,773 times
I am so grateful for these replies! This information will help very much as we begin our search. Finally a place to start! Many, many thanks.

Old 10-13-2013, 02:30 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,135,783 times
You might like Fairfield. You'll have no problem finding a nice four bedroom in your budget. In Westport you could find a nice home as well. Westport borders Wilton to the south. Both Westport and Fairfield have excellent schools. Westport is a bit more upscale, and Fairfield has a wide range of shopping, family/youth activities and restaurants. Both are beach towns, which Wilton does not have. Wilton is quieter and more rural than either Fairfield or Westport.

I really think you can't go wrong with Wilton, Fairfield or Westport-- or even Ridgefield.. All are lovely towns with strong schools, but each is also somewhat unique and character. Come visit and see what feels "right" to you.

Welcome to the neighborhood.

Old 10-13-2013, 03:47 PM

206 posts, read 404,453 times
Are you receiving a relo package from the new employer? If so, they should provide you with someone who will give you an overview of the area and lots of information.

Old 10-13-2013, 05:49 PM

21,749 posts, read 28,077,952 times
Wilton, Fairfield, or Trumbull IMO.

Weston, Easton, and Redding are very rural.

Fairfield has the most amenities.

Old 10-13-2013, 11:32 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,086,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post

Weston, Easton, and Redding are very rural.
They are not rural, but they have very few businesses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut