U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2013, 04:43 PM

3 posts, read 4,234 times

Advertisements

Our family will be relocating to Seymour, Ct from California as early as next month. Advice and suggestions needed on Elementary Schools in or near the area please. Pretty please? Although we have done some research about the area, it would really help a lot to hear input from everyone who knows the town. Thanks very much.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2013, 04:54 PM

2,005 posts, read 1,365,948 times
Seymour is a working class town and is very affordable. The schools are ok, not great but good. Why Seymour if I may ask?

Old 10-15-2013, 05:59 PM

2,632 posts, read 2,168,132 times
I don't know much at all about Seymour, but I'm pretty sure your address will dictate which school your child(ren) will go to. Unless the town has a magnet school and you can put your name in for a lottery?

Edit to say: I just did a quick check and it seems both elementary schools which serve the town are comparable

Last edited by Lalalally; 10-15-2013 at 06:18 PM..

Old 10-15-2013, 06:27 PM

4,787 posts, read 8,754,839 times
Seymour has two elementary schools, one middle school and one high school. The elementary school your child attends will be based upon the district in which he or she lives. You don't get to choose.

If you know the address where you're going to live, you can call the school headquarters and ask them which grade school that house is zoned for.

There is a very minimal possibility that you could send your child to school in a neighboring town ( school
district). You do this by applying to that district and paying them tuition. If there is room in their system for your child, they may permit this. It is something that has to be done every year. Very seldom is it approved.

It's best to assume that if you live in Seymour, your child will be attending school in Seymour.

Old 10-15-2013, 07:36 PM

1,187 posts, read 2,183,017 times
Firstly- WELCOME TO SEYMOUR!

Secondly..Ugh.. Here we go again.. I've lived in Seymour for 8 years! Raised in Trumbull. Seymour WAS a blue collar working class factory town 20 years ago. It is NOT NOW a low class dump (as other city-data posters might have you believe.) It is fine! REALLY! Good neighborhoods, low crime, friendly people. Cute local shops, 20 minutes to major shopping & downtown New Haven. Sports proud ! Civic minded! We have plenty of choices for banking. Library is quite well stocked. All the adults I've met are college educated. Parents care and are in the PTA. Schools are improving. Two schools on the north /east side were combined last year. The "rebuilt as new" 2 story facility is equipped with smart boards in every room, a new gym, the kids are being taught common core. The technologies department is working with teachers to better utilize the school's tablets and net books. Yes- whether your kids go to the newer CLS or the older Bungay will depend on your street's designated district. There is no cross town bussing of students. Please do NOT let the valley haters on this board discourage you.
Again - welcome to Seymour.

Old 10-15-2013, 07:56 PM

2,632 posts, read 2,168,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seymourct View Post
Firstly- WELCOME TO SEYMOUR!

Secondly..Ugh.. Here we go again.. I've lived in Seymour for 8 years! Raised in Trumbull. Seymour WAS a blue collar working class factory town 20 years ago. It is NOT NOW a low class dump (as other city-data posters might have you believe.) It is fine! REALLY! Good neighborhoods, low crime, friendly people. Cute local shops, 20 minutes to major shopping & downtown New Haven. Sports proud ! Civic minded! We have plenty of choices for banking. Library is quite well stocked. All the adults I've met are college educated. Parents care and are in the PTA. Schools are improving. Two schools on the north /east side were combined last year. The "rebuilt as new" 2 story facility is equipped with smart boards in every room, a new gym, the kids are being taught common core. The technologies department is working with teachers to better utilize the school's tablets and net books. Yes- whether your kids go to the newer CLS or the older Bungay will depend on your street's designated district. There is no cross town bussing of students. Please do NOT let the valley haters on this board discourage you.
Again - welcome to Seymour.
I like this! Kind of cringed when I read scoobydoo's early post -- thought it was slightly elitist and offensive; Contemplated it for a second or two and decided it wasn't worthy of a reply, especially since I didn't have the facts you do to back it up. And I echo your welcome to seymour/connecticut sentiment. Ignore scooby''s, or whatever he calls himself, post

Old 10-15-2013, 08:07 PM

1,187 posts, read 2,183,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalalally View Post
I like this! Kind of cringed when I read scoobydoo's early post -- thought it was slightly elitist and offensive; Contemplated it for a second or two and decided it wasn't worthy of a reply, especially since I didn't have the facts you do to back it up. And I echo your welcome to seymour/connecticut sentiment. Ignore scooby''s, or whatever he calls himself, post
Thank you!

Old 10-16-2013, 05:49 AM

2,005 posts, read 1,365,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalalally View Post
It's SeaDoo, as in the personal watercraft. And WOW, inferiority complex much??! I didn't say anything bad about Seymour. It IS a working class town by Connecticut standards and the schools are okay. Not the best but not the worst - as in GOOD. ACCEPTABLE. SATISFACTORY.

I make 40k and drive a 99 Honda Civic but yeah I'm elitist. LOL!

Old 10-16-2013, 05:58 AM

24,577 posts, read 40,130,038 times
Seymour is a nice town that is improving greatly over the past 20 years. What was once a gritty mill town in the Naugatuck Valley is changing to an affordable alternative to high priced Fairfield County. I know several people from Fairfield County that moved there because it is affordable and attractive. That said, the schools in Seymour do generally perform just under state averages on the Connecticut Mastery and Connecticut Academic Performance Tests. That does not necessarily mean the schools are not good though since the results are generally tied to the socio-economic makeup of the town. You can get more information on schools in Connecticut at the link below. Jay

State Department of Education - CEDaR

Old 10-16-2013, 07:40 AM

8,780 posts, read 16,243,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Seymour is a nice town that is improving greatly over the past 20 years. What was once a gritty mill town in the Naugatuck Valley is changing to an affordable alternative to high priced Fairfield County. I know several people from Fairfield County that moved there because it is affordable and attractive.
Agree with all of the above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
That said, the schools in Seymour do generally perform just under state averages on the Connecticut Mastery and Connecticut Academic Performance Tests. That does not necessarily mean the schools are not good though since the results are generally tied to the socio-economic makeup of the town. You can get more information on schools in Connecticut at the link below. Jay

State Department of Education - CEDaR
I have to disagree with the bolded portion. The median incomes have been rising in the town, but the school performance hasn't been rising. Milford also seems to have the same issue. They're resting on their (white,"it's safe") laurels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut