U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Cities
Bridgeport 2 9.52%
New Haven 5 23.81%
Hartford 2 9.52%
Waterbury 2 9.52%
Norwalk 5 23.81%
Danbury 3 14.29%
Stamford 9 42.86%
Stratford 1 4.76%
Milford 10 47.62%
Fairfield 9 42.86%
Trumbull 1 4.76%
West Hartford 10 47.62%
Derby 2 9.52%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 09:01 PM

18 posts, read 17,192 times

Advertisements

I am moving to connecticut to move near family members and friends. They currently been living in Southington. (Please dont criticize me if Southington is wrong, never been to CT before.) But, I spent about 3 days searching houses. I found some houses that I like. Things I need are...

Cities with good jobs available
Cities with most things to do
Cities with the best downtowns
Cities that are good to start a family with
Cities with decent schools
Cities that are let friendly
Cities with the friendliest people
Cities with good prices to buy
Cities with least highway traffic

Some cities I was looking at were

Bridgeport
New Haven
Hartford
Stamford
Danbury
Norwalk
Waterbury
Stratford
Trumbull
Fairfield
Milford
Derby
*if some are small towns, please tell me...I don't know all the cities/towns in CT

I am willing to spend around 1 million for 3 bedrooms/2 bathrooms. I don't care if it is a house, condo, etc.

Old 10-16-2013, 09:33 PM

10,347 posts, read 7,255,930 times
Where in CT you want to live....

You want to be closer to NYC or You want closer to your family.

Old 10-16-2013, 09:37 PM

14,740 posts, read 17,970,548 times
Trumbull has more of a small town feel than the others, which are more developed.

$1 million isn't really appropriate for a lot of those towns. Stamford, Norwalk, Fairfield, and Milford are really the only ones with any sizable amount of homes in that price range.

Out of those, Fairfield would be a really good option for that budget and has excellent schools - but it does have a lot of highway traffic. Stamford and Norwalk have "decent" schools. Milford has good schools, and will be the best value for money. All have good walkable areas, things to do, access to jobs.

New Haven has the most to do as a city, but other than the magnet schools - I'd struggle to call the school system "decent".

Those are all on the 95 corridor which has the worst traffic in the state. It's especially bad in Stamford/Norwalk and gets better once you get past Bridgeport.

You could also consider West Hartford. Excellent downtown, schools, proximity to Hartford for jobs.

Old 10-16-2013, 09:54 PM

599 posts, read 660,147 times
A lot depends on your preferences...but I'll offer some thoughts on the ones you listed

Bridgeport - has had it's share of problems in the past. I used to work for a bank headquartered here. There are areas I wouldn't go anywhere near, day or night. Traffic is heavy.

New Haven - lots to do, plenty of shopping. Traffic is tough.
Hartford - suburbs are great. There are some areas in the city that are nice to live in. There are many that aren't. They are doing a lot to revitalize the area. Traffic is not fun during rush hour, coming or going.

Stamford - I don't know enough to comment but a friend lived here and loved it.

Danbury - nicer smaller feel to the city. Lots of shopping and neighborhoods.

Norwalk - don't know enough to comment

Waterbury - for what you are looking to spend, I wouldn't live here. You can get much nicer somewhere else with a lot less in taxes. Traffic is a nightmare at rush hour. The city has a lot of undesireable areas - there are some nice parts but a lot of not so nice ones.

Stratford - I have friends who live here and love it. Again, don't know enough from personal experience to give you any more than that.

Trumbull - good for shopping. Proximity to NYC is good here as well. I don't have much more experience than that
Fairfield - not enough experience
Milford - kind of an eclectic mix. Traffic isn't bad.
Derby - much smaller than the others you have listed.

I was born and raised in Southington and love it. I can offer a lot more advice on that area of the state. Good for raising kids, traffic isn't bad, and schools are good. You'll be able to find a very nice home for that price in that area if you wanted to go there.

Old 10-16-2013, 11:03 PM

11,038 posts, read 13,393,573 times
Stamford - too expensive and full of yuppies and still quite ghetto
Norwalk - ghetto and overpriced
Bridgeport - ghetto, dangerous and expensive
Danbury - too many illegal aliens
Shelton - stuck in the 80's and boring
New Haven - crime ridden and overpopulated with college kids
West Haven - ghetto and boring
Derby - ghetto, depressed
Ansonia - ghetto, depressed
Waterbury - crime ridden, lack of jobs
Meriden - ghetto and trashy
Milford - nice
Hartford - rampant poverty, crime, lack of shopping, lack of diversity (almost no white people)
New Britain - ghetto, dumpy
Bristol - tons of white trash and generally run down
Torrington - ghetto, backwards, no jobs
Middletown - ghetto, full of college kids
New London - ghetto as hell
Norwich - depressed as hell
Groton - white trash and run down

Old 10-17-2013, 06:52 AM

3,332 posts, read 3,271,498 times
Do you need to work? Do you need to be located near work? If work does not dictate that you must be in a specific location, and if you don't yet have any children, and if you can afford a million dollar home, then your first step is to come visit the family and friends, and speak with them, and drive around and take a look.

Old 10-17-2013, 08:50 AM

14,740 posts, read 17,970,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Stamford - too expensive and full of yuppies and still quite ghetto
Norwalk - ghetto and overpriced
Bridgeport - ghetto, dangerous and expensive
Danbury - too many illegal aliens
Shelton - stuck in the 80's and boring
New Haven - crime ridden and overpopulated with college kids
West Haven - ghetto and boring
Derby - ghetto, depressed
Ansonia - ghetto, depressed
Waterbury - crime ridden, lack of jobs
Meriden - ghetto and trashy
Milford - nice
Hartford - rampant poverty, crime, lack of shopping, lack of diversity (almost no white people)
New Britain - ghetto, dumpy
Bristol - tons of white trash and generally run down
Torrington - ghetto, backwards, no jobs
Middletown - ghetto, full of college kids
New London - ghetto as hell
Norwich - depressed as hell
Groton - white trash and run down
Dude, very negative. A lot of these places aren't as ghetto/trashy as you've said.

Old 10-17-2013, 08:52 AM

24,615 posts, read 40,196,269 times
Jake - Where we recommend you to live will depend on a number things. You do not say what type of job you will be looking for. Knowing that could make a difference. I would concentrate on looking for a job first and then pick where near that job to look. Of the towns on your list, Derby is the smallest. It is not really an employment center. Hartford is the largest employment center and is not far from Southington so this may be a good place to look for a job. With a $1 million budget for a home you could live in the most desirable suburbs of Hartford and still be near Southington. These towns would include West Hartford, Farmington, Avon and Simsbury. All beautiful towns with a lot to offer. Jay

Old 10-17-2013, 09:23 AM

11,038 posts, read 13,393,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Dude, very negative. A lot of these places aren't as ghetto/trashy as you've said.
Well it's all relative. Having grown up in a nice town like Granby, that's how I view all of those cities. My parents and friends from Granby share the same views.

Old 10-17-2013, 09:32 AM

2,890 posts, read 2,966,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Well it's all relative. Having grown up in a nice town like Granby, that's how I view all of those cities. My parents and friends from Granby share the same views.
There are quite a few sections of Stamford that make Granby look like the third world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or