Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 12:32 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,189,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
You aren't going to stop a lot of criminal activity (burglaries etc) while stationary on the side of the road for hours on end. Its far more effective to patrol the residential neighborhoods, business districts etc. With respect to your below comments a car at 30 stops much quicker than one at 55 so why not drop it precipitously to save all the children that happen to be walking on 95/84/Merritt. Give me a break.
RE:hours on end, unless it's a regional or statewide campaign, an officer sits "stationary" for a short time due to obvious safety issues.

CSP doesn't patrol residential neighborhoods unless it's a resident trooper. They also don't patrol "business districts, etc". They are essentially the highway patrol of CT and their main duty is to maintain traffic flow at a reasonable speed and respond to calls for assistance on and adjacent to state highways. Therefore, your idea that they are ineffective by monitoring traffic is asinine at best. They are doing exactly what they were hired by the state of CT to do: enforce the laws on CT's highways. Don't like it? Write to Hartford and voice why you'd like the speed limit raised, but don't get on CSP for performing their duty simply because you want to speed.

RE:car stopping quicker, it's simple math. A vehicle going 30 will leave approximately a 40' skid. A vehicle going 55 will leave a 120' skid. Simply put, as a vehicle speed adds up, the potential drag multiplies, regardless of the vehicle type.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2013, 10:00 AM

2,256 posts, read 4,495,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post

RE:car stopping quicker, it's simple math. A vehicle going 30 will leave approximately a 40' skid. A vehicle going 55 will leave a 120' skid. Simply put, as a vehicle speed adds up, the potential drag multiplies, regardless of the vehicle type.
In a straight line a newer car with ABS, 99% of the time will leave no marks at all, unless on concrete. Brake and turn is another thing. Personal observation made from standing 3-4 feet away from autos making full panic/ABS stops from 50mph over 100 times a day sometimes. JS

Old 11-04-2013, 08:56 AM

519 posts, read 743,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
I actually like the tactic of unmarked cars out among the drivers picking up aggressive driving tactics. I think that's much more effective at nabbing dangerous driving than simply having a stationary speed trap in light traffic.

I have found enforcement on Connecticut highways to be very lax, at least where I drive. I probably shouldn't say this. You know, famous last words.....

I got stopped two years ago just going past exit 9 in Stamford and you know where the cop likes to sit on the side ramp that's not really a ramp.. anyways he clocked me at 80 but because I pulled over quickly he wrote it as 70, but in his words, anything over 80 is reckless driving..

So I laugh when I see these NY people driving nutty during rush hour..

NY state troopers are better in catching people that are just speeding to speed with no reason to be going that fast.

Old 11-04-2013, 08:59 AM

519 posts, read 743,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FILF View Post
They have had chargers, Taurus's, fusions, expeditions, explorers, and even some challengers for awhile now. Just need to look for the lights inside the car, basic wheel/tires, and the xxx-utz license plate. It's not that hard to pick them out if the crowd if you know what to look for and pay attention.

Yep State police have different plates and you can see the LED flashers in-between the grills..

I have to ask because I think the crown vic was a body on frame.. so with the new cars are they uni-body? What happens if they ram something??

Old 02-12-2017, 12:51 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,310,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubieB4 View Post
Yep State police have different plates and you can see the LED flashers in-between the grills..

I have to ask because I think the crown vic was a body on frame.. so with the new cars are they uni-body? What happens if they ram something??
I worked on these cars for years as a fleet mechanic so I worked on the Ford Expedition and Crown Vic. The license plates that the troopers have of their cruisers ends with UTZ, WHK, and WWL. Some (though not many) start with 0AW which is on the newer Chevy Caprices and license plates that only have numbers.

As for the Ford Taurus, yes. Every Taurus made within the last 30 years has been a unibody. The only body on frame car that Ford produced was the Panther platform models (Crown Vic, Grand Marquis, and Town Car) and that goes back to the 70's.

Just a heads up...since we're talking about unmarked cars on this forum which is every CT State Police car, there's 1 car that people often forget which is the Ford Expedition. The police package version has black door handles while the civilian model has chrome ones. A trick that the state police use which is pretty smart, is on some of the Ford Expeditions they've installed girly looking license plate frames that have palm trees and dolphins on it. From behind you would assume it would be a 60 year old grandma who visits Florida often. Only to find out that it's a cop. The first time I looked at it I thought, "is this guy being serious or is this a joke?"

It looks something like this but the palm trees are a little bigger and there's a dolphin at the bottom. I seriously think they went to Walmart a bought a dozen of them...
https://www.walmart.com/ip/36256845?...&wl13=&veh=sem

Old 02-12-2017, 06:56 PM

319 posts, read 278,719 times
Challenger SRT Hellcat, 707 horsepower off the showroom.

Old 02-13-2017, 08:04 AM

2,122 posts, read 2,420,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
I worked on these cars for years as a fleet mechanic so I worked on the Ford Expedition and Crown Vic. The license plates that the troopers have of their cruisers ends with UTZ, WHK, and WWL. Some (though not many) start with 0AW which is on the newer Chevy Caprices and license plates that only have numbers.

As for the Ford Taurus, yes. Every Taurus made within the last 30 years has been a unibody. The only body on frame car that Ford produced was the Panther platform models (Crown Vic, Grand Marquis, and Town Car) and that goes back to the 70's.

Just a heads up...since we're talking about unmarked cars on this forum which is every CT State Police car, there's 1 car that people often forget which is the Ford Expedition. The police package version has black door handles while the civilian model has chrome ones. A trick that the state police use which is pretty smart, is on some of the Ford Expeditions they've installed girly looking license plate frames that have palm trees and dolphins on it. From behind you would assume it would be a 60 year old grandma who visits Florida often. Only to find out that it's a cop. The first time I looked at it I thought, "is this guy being serious or is this a joke?"

It looks something like this but the palm trees are a little bigger and there's a dolphin at the bottom. I seriously think they went to Walmart a bought a dozen of them...
https://www.walmart.com/ip/36256845?...&wl13=&veh=sem
That's awesome. But I hope the expedition is filled with M4s, flash bangs, riot gear, ballistic vests and crates of magazines with a counterterrorism/riot/violence interdiction mission, NOT out breaking my balls for going 75 in a 65 at 12mpg. The palm tree plate covers suggest to me this may not be the case, as rolling up into bridge-poh with dolphin license plates either attracts trouble or screams "LE", neither of which are condusive to eliminating...I mean arresting...drug dealers and pimps. For you LE out there, I saw him reach for what looked like a boot knife, and I'll testify to that!

Old 02-13-2017, 02:56 PM

723 posts, read 1,004,414 times
Default The totally unmarked CSP cars always have this "hockey puck"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TobinJ View Post
If you're curious about police car variations there is a dealer holding lot for Crowley on rt 72 Bristol near Crowley RV, a couple times a month new fords and dodges show up there. About 2 weeks ago a bunch of orange construction trucks arrived and have progressively been dissappearing. Maybe a month ago there was a police Command center RV there. Real cool stuff if you're interested.
It is the clear give away when you see that round "hockey puck" looking like antenna on the back of the car.
Anyone ever and I mean ever see a cop and radar between exits 54 & 60 on 95???

North of Exit 60 in Madison always; parked behind the bushes southbound; about 10 yards off the road.

Once at Exit 18 in Westport; the radar car was setup on the overpass which was new???

scary

Old 02-13-2017, 09:36 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,310,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailCT View Post
It is the clear give away when you see that round "hockey puck" looking like antenna on the back of the car.
Anyone ever and I mean ever see a cop and radar between exits 54 & 60 on 95???

North of Exit 60 in Madison always; parked behind the bushes southbound; about 10 yards off the road.

Once at Exit 18 in Westport; the radar car was setup on the overpass which was new???

scary
Those "hockey pucks" are Cellular Data MDT Antennas which aren't on every cop car. I don't see them on the Taurus's as often as I do on the Crown Vic's though. Many of the new cars including the newest model Crown Vic's have most of the equipment built inside of the car without little to no antennas. They just cover it up with heavy window tint. They're getting harder to spot as they don't put many antennas on slick top cop cars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut