U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 09:03 PM

14 posts, read 21,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by panasyncp17 View Post
Snow tires are an absolute MUST with FWD as far as I'm concerned. Yes you can get away with waiting for the roads to be plowed and cleared but I wouldn't take the chance of being caught in a storm, especially with no experience driving on snow.

Best bang for you're buck is the General Altimax. I run them on 6.5" steel wheels on both my Civic and Subaru. Took the Subaru out during Nemo and had zero issues.

Remember, thinner is better when it comes to snow.
Thanks for the suggestion. I was thinking about performance winter/snow category on tire rack? Want something I can drive just leave on throughout the winter and not change it in and out. I have a toyota scion
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2013, 09:05 PM

8,780 posts, read 16,240,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calswim View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. I was thinking about performance winter/snow category on tire rack? Want something I can drive just leave on throughout the winter and not change it in and out. I have a toyota scion
What do you mean by "not change it in and out"?

Old 11-01-2013, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
What do you mean by "not change it in and out"?
oops, I just meant winter tires with no studs

Old 11-01-2013, 10:51 PM

751 posts, read 1,509,647 times
Not sure what car you have, but the Continental ExtremeContact DWS is highly-raved by car enthusiasts. It is an All-Season tire but with insanely superb snow traction. I have them on my car and it worked well last winter.

Tirerack.com has a ton of reviews on tires. I suggest spending a bit of time reading up about tires that fit your car and why certain sets of tires are more popular than others.

And yes, generally speaking, you should have snow tires on a FWD car (or at least All-Seasons that perform well in the snow).

Old 11-01-2013, 11:38 PM

9,862 posts, read 13,185,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comp625 View Post
Not sure what car you have, but the Continental ExtremeContact DWS is highly-raved by car enthusiasts. It is an All-Season tire but with insanely superb snow traction. I have them on my car and it worked well last winter.

Tirerack.com has a ton of reviews on tires. I suggest spending a bit of time reading up about tires that fit your car and why certain sets of tires are more popular than others.

And yes, generally speaking, you should have snow tires on a FWD car (or at least All-Seasons that perform well in the snow).
If I had known of these tires before I purchased mine, which are very good for all season in winter, I would have bought these received CR best review a couple of years back for winter that are all season

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....el=Optimo+H727

Old 11-02-2013, 02:57 AM

83 posts, read 157,315 times
Any snow tire is better than the best all season tire, hands down. Spend a little coin on snow tires and you will get multiple seasons out of them, put your current tires back on your car when the snow stops flying and save the tread for winter time.

Old 11-02-2013, 04:09 AM

8,780 posts, read 16,240,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
If I had known of these tires before I purchased mine, which are very good for all season in winter, I would have bought these received CR best review a couple of years back for winter that are all season

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....el=Optimo+H727
I've never had Hankook tires, but i've had their other 2 brands, Kuhmo and Nexen. I'll pass on anything from that company, regardless of CR's praises.

Old 11-02-2013, 08:12 AM

691 posts, read 909,041 times
I'm wondering about this myself...

Purchased a 2013 Subaru Imprezza last winter, and already have around 22k miles on it (10 months). My commute is pretty lengthy, and I've heard that the stock tires (Yokohama?) are rather subpar.

From searching online, I can get Bridgestone Blizzak WS70's for around $130 ea. Any experience with these?

Given that my car is AWD and the original tires still have good tread, I'm hesitant to spend the cash. Additionally, my profession (teacher) doesn't require me to travel on snow days. However, since I live in the Hartford area and work in the southeastern part of the state, there will likely be days where it's snowing up here but only raining down there. What would you do? Thanks.

Old 11-02-2013, 09:54 AM

4,787 posts, read 8,752,051 times
I drive a Subaru and use Blizzaks in the winter. I drive at least 30,000 miles a year so I'm out and about in all sorts of weather. AWD is no panacea for snow and ice. There is a noticeable difference in cornering, braking on ice and driving in snow using good snow tires even with AWD. Summer tires are summer tires. You still have to help the process along by using the right tires for the season.

A Subaru is better than front wheel drive in snow, but put good snow tires on it and it becomes like a little tank- will go through about anything..

In your case, you never know what the weather may be like when you leave work in the afternoon. It may be rain on the shore but when you hit the RT 82 rain/ snow line south of Colchester, your rain may turn to something much worse. Then too, if you live in the northern part of the state, you still have weekends to contend with.

Old 11-02-2013, 10:17 AM

actually thinking about joining costco for the bridgestone blizzak lm-25 tires.. anyone have any input on those? ... they have bridgestone blizzak lm-25 rft for my car but they are the lowest rating of the performance tires on tirerack? should I take tirerack with a grain of salt?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut