U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2013, 10:29 AM

9,862 posts, read 13,207,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
I've never had Hankook tires, but i've had their other 2 brands, Kuhmo and Nexen. I'll pass on anything from that company, regardless of CR's praises.
I didn't know they own the other two. Kuhmo is cheap, low quality agreed. My friend bought these from my reco and he likes them, to each their own. He runs them on his Passat AWD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2013, 11:29 AM

2,601 posts, read 2,643,464 times
There's NO comparison between driving with snow tires vs all season. Snow tires make it so much safer(better grip) as well as obviously being able to move you along. As far as I'm concerned, anywhere that averages over 30 inches a snow of year there should be mandatory snow tires on all 4 wheels. In the long term it doesn't cost anymore anyway since your all seasons will last twice as long since their not being used in winter. Town fair switches them over for free as well. Just don't go thinking your invincible just because you have snow tires. You should still obviously being driving very slowly if the road is snow covered. Truly amazes me that people don't understand that simple concept. Every single storm you see people travelling too fast and people being stuck in a ditch or worse flipped over.

Old 11-02-2013, 12:48 PM

14,728 posts, read 17,960,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calswim View Post
actually thinking about joining costco for the bridgestone blizzak lm-25 tires.. anyone have any input on those? ... they have bridgestone blizzak lm-25 rft for my car but they are the lowest rating of the performance tires on tirerack? should I take tirerack with a grain of salt?
They are OK but I'd go Dunlop Winter Sport 3d personally. They are the best I've had and I previously ran Bridgestone and Michelin. The Michelin Pilot Super Sport is my absolute new favorite summer tire but I'll stick to the Dunlops for winter.

Costco isn't that much of a bargain for tires unless there's a big rebate. Where do you live?

Old 11-02-2013, 12:51 PM

14 posts, read 21,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
They are OK but I'd go Dunlop Winter Sport 3d personally. Costco isn't that much of a bargain for tires unless there's a big rebate. Where do you live?
new haven. both sams and costco do not have rebates for dunlop or the michelin pilot apin. Might just have to go for the michelin without the rebates then.

Old 11-02-2013, 01:23 PM

13,258 posts, read 34,655,551 times
I've never purchased snow tires for any of my cars. I currently drive a Scion XD (same brand the OP drives, maybe not the same model). I'm assuming the tires on it are just plain radials but I never really gave it much thought. They're the original tires (I bought it with less than 1000 miles on the car, off of the dealer's lot).

I've had a few hairy moments driving in conditions with limited visibility, and that last storm that had us with 6 feet of snow and state plows needing the National Guard to get the plows out of the snow so they could actually plow roads - well let's just say that by the time I was even able to get the car out of my own driveway, the road was pretty well driveable by anyone other than maybe a bicycle.

I've been driving in New England for all of my adult life (from 16, driving a stick-shift, til 52) and I've had two accidents that involved skidding on snow or ice. And if it's ice, then snow tires aren't going to save you anyway. Whether you choose to get snow tires or not, you have to be EXTRA careful driving in New England, especially if you have no prior experience to driving in the snow.

Our roads aren't in the best shape to begin with, and our drivers can be pretty aggressive. Stay to your right, use your turn signals, remember to turn them OFF when you don't need them to be on, and make SURE your windshield wipers can handle snow AND that you have properly mixed de-icing windshield fluid!

Old 11-02-2013, 01:38 PM

1,033 posts, read 3,240,599 times
Snow tires are NOT NEEDED for front wheel drive vehicles IMO. Its a front wheel drive.... You can get by, but it will be sketchy driving.

Ive always had all-season performance tires(Kumho, Falken) on my car and they handle just fine, as long as the treads were still good. Snow tires will definitely improve your handling though.

However, I am looking at a set of Blizzaks for this season. I like to have two sets of tires for my car and Ill actually be able to do that this year.

Keep in mind that Im in New Haven County on the shore, so the snow may not be as bad as anywhere else in CT.

Old 11-02-2013, 03:03 PM

1,930 posts, read 3,175,150 times
Put snow tires on all four wheels and you'll be fine for most winter storms. Except the nightmare we had last year, still can't get it out of my head...!

Old 11-02-2013, 03:12 PM

65,040 posts, read 47,367,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetto View Post
Put snow tires on all four wheels and you'll be fine for most winter storms. Except the nightmare we had last year, still can't get it out of my head...!
Yeah, I think we need more than just snow tires with something like that. Posted by Brian26

Posted by 7Wishes

But to add to all this..... people forget that most compact cars can't even get through 3 inches of snow because of the wheel wells and lowness of the car as it piles up with driving. But snow tires always are great to get through the slush and 1-2" of snow. But that doesn't mean you should be on the road when there's a snowstorm.

Old 11-02-2013, 04:07 PM

8,780 posts, read 16,254,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
In the long term it doesn't cost anymore anyway since your all seasons will last twice as long since their not being used in winter.

Yes, exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
Town fair switches them over for free as well.
If you buy from them, they do. However, they are hacks at TFT, IMHO. When i bought the Blizzaks, Firestone had the best price by far, so i went there. For the changeover, i went to TFT, regrettably.
Improperly balanced and scuffed the rims. I learned my lesson, i'll pay extra at Firestone or somewhere else to have it done right.

Old 11-02-2013, 04:25 PM

9,862 posts, read 13,207,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
But to add to all this..... people forget that most compact cars can't even get through 3 inches of snow because of the wheel wells and lowness of the car as it piles up with driving.
A trick I learned driving in CO high country is if you know you are driving through deep snow spray inside of wheel well with Pam or WD-40 to prevent build up. I am suprised car mfgs. haven't invented "slippery" wheel wells for just that reason?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut