U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 09:55 AM

832 posts, read 1,324,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeffCT View Post
Are snow tires really that common? I'm in my mid 40s and I've never used them and have stuck with all season tires year-round. The only 4WD car I've had is my current one, which I've had for 3 1/2 years, with the rest being front wheel drive. The only time I ever recall having a problem was when I owned a sports car in the early 90s.
I've lived in coastal CT for 9 years and I never felt a need for snow tires until this year. For us, it was a matter of changing circumstances: buying a car with factory tires that sucked in snow and having kids in daycare (and so we travel at rush hour with the kids in the potentially slippery conditions instead of simply working from home, assuming daycare is open).

We got our snow tires on Tuesday and I already love them. Conditions aren't very bad out right now, but it really felt like they were gripping the road well. It was wet/lightly snowy out this morning when I tested them out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2014, 11:29 AM

65,234 posts, read 47,574,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lintu View Post

We got our snow tires on Tuesday and I already love them. Conditions aren't very bad out right now, but it really felt like they were gripping the road well. It was wet/lightly snowy out this morning when I tested them out.
Yup, I was going to post here as well... I forgotten how its like. Previous tires had 27,000 miles on them so the tread wasn't great and I was slipping with every gas, brake, and turn even in just an inch of snow. Now these new snow tires you can feel the grip on the snowy road.

Hoping they preserve for next year as well. They do wear out quicker than regular tires

Old 01-02-2014, 11:31 AM

65,234 posts, read 47,574,447 times
What are your thoughts about taking a razor and adding an extra slot in the tire? LOL I know it sounds funny but what if you do it carefully just like 1/8"? I figure it might help channel the water and snow better with a few more. No?

Old 01-02-2014, 11:33 AM

832 posts, read 1,324,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Yup, I was going to post here as well... I forgotten how its like. Previous tires had 27,000 miles on them so the tread wasn't great and I was slipping with every gas, brake, and turn even in just an inch of snow. Now these new snow tires you can feel the grip on the snowy road.

Hoping they preserve for next year as well. They do wear out quicker than regular tires
But would they really only ever last for a single winter season? That seems pretty bad. I'm hoping for a few years' worth of use.

Oh, but I should note that I don't commute.

Old 01-02-2014, 11:57 AM

160 posts, read 378,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lintu View Post
But would they really only ever last for a single winter season? That seems pretty bad. I'm hoping for a few years' worth of use.

Oh, but I should note that I don't commute.
Been using mine for 4+ seasons already...

Dunlop Wintersport 3D

Old 01-02-2014, 03:12 PM

4,503 posts, read 4,197,386 times
I should also add, that I remember hearing about snow tires when I was a kid - as well as chains on tires. However, until I saw mention of snow tires in this forum, I had not heard of anybody using them since the early to mid 70s. I didn't even know you could still buy snow tires.

Old 01-02-2014, 03:19 PM

2,329 posts, read 2,706,291 times
I think snow tires have become more prominent in recent years because a lot of newer cars come with bigger wheels and thinner/wider tires which equates to not such good traction in wintry conditions. My car for example has 18" wheels with a thin sport tire. I am looking into doing 16" steelies with snow tires next year but for now they get me home when I need to be there. We have a Jeep in the stable to use and I can work from home when needed so it's not crucial to have them at this point.

I know that in Canada it is required in some areas to have snow tires (i.e. the law). Plus we have had some mild winters up until a few years ago when we started getting blasted again with good snowfall and storms.

Old 01-02-2014, 05:32 PM

2,732 posts, read 2,497,516 times
I will hazard to guess that 99% of the people complaining about excessive wear on their snow tires don't take them off until May or later. The rubber compound is very soft and will wear quickly in temps above 40 degrees. Put em on at the beginning of December and take em off at the end of March and they should last for several years. I have 4 winters on my Blizzaks and they have plenty of tread left.

Old 01-02-2014, 07:04 PM

132 posts, read 110,791 times
I'm a huge advocate for snow tires, especially on FWD cars. AWD and 4WD mean nothing unless you've got the proper tire, I don't know how many trucks I've passed that got stuck in the snow or could barely make it up a hill... Puts a smile on my face every time.

Plus, a set of steelies looks badass and you can swap them out yourself each season

Old 01-02-2014, 09:04 PM

843 posts, read 1,657,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchrider View Post
I think snow tires have become more prominent in recent years because a lot of newer cars come with bigger wheels and thinner/wider tires which equates to not such good traction in wintry conditions. My car for example has 18" wheels with a thin sport tire. I am looking into doing 16" steelies with snow tires next year but for now they get me home when I need to be there. We have a Jeep in the stable to use and I can work from home when needed so it's not crucial to have them at this point.

I know that in Canada it is required in some areas to have snow tires (i.e. the law). Plus we have had some mild winters up until a few years ago when we started getting blasted again with good snowfall and storms.
There's truth to this. People want the fill face styled wheels and the tire options haven't caught up yet. If you want a truly decent all season tire on an 18" wheel you're going to pay for it and most people just don't give themselves a big budget for tires which is sad. I wish insurance would offer a discount for proper, quality tires like they offer for other safety features.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut