Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 07:46 PM

14 posts, read 27,513 times

Advertisements

Hi I just moved from CA to New Haven, CT. I have no experience driving in the snow and I was wondering if I need snow tires for the winters here? I have a FWD. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2013, 07:52 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,852,893 times
Before this thread gets really long regarding the variables of climate around the state, i'll say this. Snows are relatively inexpensive and well worth the $$$. I wish that i had invested in them years earlier. Given that you have no winter driving experience, it's a no-brainer in your case. Get them.

Old 11-01-2013, 08:14 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,538,654 times
Living in snow country (yes, CA gets lots of snow) I have strong opinions on tires. I am so tired of people with their 4wd vehicles with "all season" tires losing control in snow and ice in my area.

True winter tires make a huge difference. All season tires are really three season tires marginal in winter conditions at best. Fact is, the most important thing about driving in winter conditions is control. Things like braking, turning and stopping. Has zero to do with whether your vehicle is FWD or 4WD. It's all about where the rubber meets the road-literally.

One word: tires.

Winter tires will make you happy and safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
If you were in Denver they are optional, not on the East Coast no way. I am frugal and if it were me I would get the best Blizzak. Think of it this way. One set of tires is less than your insurance deductible.

This will get you started.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...sp?type=W&VT=C
Cannot agree more and Tirerack is excellent.

Old 11-01-2013, 08:15 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,472,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calswim View Post
Hi I just moved from CA to New Haven, CT. I have no experience driving in the snow and I was wondering if I need snow tires for the winters here? I have a FWD. Thanks
If you were in Denver they are optional, not on the East Coast no way. I am frugal and if it were me I would get the best Blizzak. Think of it this way. One set of tires is less than your insurance deductible.

Old 11-01-2013, 08:23 PM

1,063 posts, read 1,362,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calswim View Post
Quote:
Before this thread gets really long regarding the variables of climate around the state, i'll say this. Snows are relatively inexpensive and well worth the $$$. I wish that i had invested in them years earlier. Given that you have no winter driving experience, it's a no-brainer in your case. Get them.
Not so much about the variables in the weather. I'd say it's more about how urgent it'll be to get around in a heavy snow storm. We get maybe 3-4 major snowstorms a year. The snow is usually plowed off the roads before the next day. Unless you anticipate needing to be out in the snow shortly after it starts, I don't believe they'd be necessary. I'm actually trying to think of a single person I know who has them and am coming up short.

I guess the other question is, where in CT will you live? If it's a town in the middle of nowhere, then you can't really rely on roads being plowed in a reasonable time frame.

I don't really think they'd provide you peace of mind, but rather a false sense of security. Snow tires or no snow tires, if you have no experience at all driving in the snow, don't drive in the damn snow.

Old 11-01-2013, 08:31 PM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
Yes. Get them. And remember chains are illegal ( I think ) but the roads are fine hours later anyway. If you can manage to wait until the snow stops then you and city workers will be safer.

Don't forget to check in on the weather thread. I don't see any snow threat for another 2 weeks+ so nothing to worry about yet.

Old 11-01-2013, 08:33 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,852,893 times
Chains are legal in winter.

Old 11-01-2013, 08:40 PM

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I am definitely going to get some. I wont need it for work but just on the weekends for groceries and what not. I was hesitant due to the cost but I think it's better to be safe

Old 11-01-2013, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post

I am thinking about checking out Sam's club this weekend for tires. Does anyone know which is a good tire from Sam's club? Thanks

Old 11-01-2013, 08:50 PM

132 posts, read 149,386 times
Snow tires are an absolute MUST with FWD as far as I'm concerned. Yes you can get away with waiting for the roads to be plowed and cleared but I wouldn't take the chance of being caught in a storm, especially with no experience driving on snow.

Best bang for you're buck is the General Altimax. I run them on 6.5" steel wheels on both my Civic and Subaru. Took the Subaru out during Nemo and had zero issues.

Remember, thinner is better when it comes to snow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut