U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2014, 11:13 AM

299 posts, read 277,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Stamford will never be largest city in the state with high rents in NYC, Stamford, Norwalk working class/lower income are going to move to Bridgeport, The Valley, Waterbury. Bridgeport is going be overpopulated with low income. It unless Stamford built 10-25 stories Condos.

Perhaps, but Stamford has been very progressive with its strict mixed income requirements for all new buildings. One of the many reasons a permit for the luxury 18 story High Grove was delayed for years was because the developer, Jason Schlesinger, unsuccessfully fought the city on the proportion of low income housing he was required to build at another site. The delay meant he missed the housing boom, fell into the recession and eventually lost his beloved building to the banks.

The city also sponsers the outstanding Charter Oak Communities which provide affordable homes to low income families. We're not talking apartments and tall urban projects, but attached single family homes with lawns and amenities.

Is there a trend to Stamford losing its population to Bridgeport? From 2010-13 it grew about 50% faster, .93% to .63%.

One of the attractions of the city is its diversity, racially and economically. Pockets may be pricey, but business is booming in the city, probably more than any other town in the state -- and that means more jobs across the board.

The biggest threat to its growth is the medicore schools. Stamford is missing out on lots of property taxes because the town trends rental not condo. But there is hope. The city's recent approval to buy the huge Sacred Heart Academy campus for a new magnet school is a step in the right direction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2014, 11:24 PM

135 posts, read 196,288 times
Its getting to the point where there is No more room to build in Stamford without overcrowding the infrastructure. Only way Stamford will ever get anywhere close to Bridgeport or Springfield or Worcester, is if they build condos and apartments in North Stamford (looking on map it is huuuge swath of land). That will never happen because of the type of zone it is and the people there, but if North Stamford, was built up like the southern section of the city, then I can see a population of 200,000 +. But too many people in such a small area (look at map again. Southern section of Stamford geographically seems to contract. whereas North Stamford the higher you go up high ridge or long ridge expands East/West.

Old 07-15-2014, 11:28 PM

135 posts, read 196,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lginlg View Post
Maybe not from the BRP, but White Plains skyline is clearly visible from the Cross Westchester (287) and it's impressive. The tallest towers are Capelli buildings, the same builder who did Trump Parc in Stamford and the new high rises proposed for the Atlantic Ave site. He also built the Trump Plaza in New Rochelle.

Driving north on 95 near Exit 5 you can now see both Trump and the partial crain for the 22 story Summer House going up on Summer.

The Stamford Zoning Commision has been conservative on building heights -- they trimmed Trump considerably and Capelli was reluctant to go too high on his new proposal. So Stamford skyline may never rival Hartford, New Haven, or White Plains. But in a few years, the city will be the largest in the state, and next to Providence, the biggest between New York and Boston.

I do like that building in New Rochelle (the tallest one). the First two city center buildings in WP are nice...the other two though i do not like. anyway, finally you can see somewhat of the Stamford skyline with Trump Parc peeking over the trees. Used to barely see American Flag on top of Landmark building from there....I would like to see one more tall building, nothing too high, but in the 375-400 range.

Old 07-15-2014, 11:29 PM

10,674 posts, read 8,121,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connecticut203 View Post
Its getting to the point where there is No more room to build in Stamford without overcrowding the infrastructure. Only way Stamford will ever get anywhere close to Bridgeport or Springfield or Worcester, is if they build condos and apartments in North Stamford (looking on map it is huuuge swath of land). That will never happen because of the type of zone it is and the people there, but if North Stamford, was built up like the southern section of the city, then I can see a population of 200,000 +. But too many people in such a small area (look at map again. Southern section of Stamford geographically seems to contract. whereas North Stamford the higher you go up high ridge or long ridge expands East/West.

Stamford is 37 sq mi compare to 16 sq in Bridgeport, 18 sq in New Haven.

Jersey City is 260,000 residents in 18 sq area.

Old 07-23-2014, 09:52 AM

854 posts, read 945,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lginlg View Post
Stamford is missing out on lots of property taxes because the town trends rental not condo.
Owners of rental properties are exempt from property tax?

Old 07-23-2014, 11:24 AM

26,127 posts, read 42,084,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtby4000 View Post
No, what they posted makes no sense. Rental properties pay their fair share just like single family homes. Jay

Old 07-23-2014, 03:48 PM

8,778 posts, read 16,710,749 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
No, what they posted makes no sense. Rental properties pay their fair share just like single family homes. Jay
I think that poster was trying to say that those rental units would be valued at a higher amount by the city if they were condominiums, rather than "apartments".

Old 07-23-2014, 04:10 PM

854 posts, read 945,437 times
OK, I see what you mean.

I own a condo in Stamford, all I have to do is rent it out - and I'll get a property tax break.

Didn't know it works like that.

Thanks for the tip.

Old 07-23-2014, 04:15 PM

10,674 posts, read 8,121,283 times

What is those two tall buildings in the background it from News12CT from my TV

Old 07-23-2014, 04:21 PM

8,778 posts, read 16,710,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
I think that poster was trying to say that those rental units would be valued at a higher amount by the city if they were condominiums, rather than "apartments".
Quote:
OK, I see what you mean.

I own a condo in Stamford, all I have to do is rent it out - and I'll get a property tax break.

Didn't know it works like that.

Thanks for the tip.
What are you talking about?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut