Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 03:15 PM

65 posts, read 77,777 times

Advertisements

I had to leave CT when I turned 20. There's little opprotunity for young people.

I feel I will want to return when I'm 30 though. New England is bland though especially to outsiders. Friend groups are small and guarded. But more much fulfilling when you're part of the group. Opposed to the open air of the west coast. Where you'll find most people are putting up a front for others just to get along.

Everyone I meets notices this right away when they move to the East or West. I spent my childhood in both, almost equally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2013, 11:30 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,067,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Really? I guess I missed all the exciting stuff that the following capital cities offer:
Madison, WI
You should probably take that one off your list. Madison is the home of UW and is not really the kind of sleepy state capital city you're thinking of.

Old 11-13-2013, 05:33 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,462,995 times
I listen to the Rowland show and he was talking about in circa 2000 (not really sure of the year) but bringing the Patriots to CT. That would have been awesome. That would have been the kick in the pants the City would have needed. I actually liked Malloy's idea of the Pro hockey team, but that unfortunately never materialized.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:35 AM

34,700 posts, read 56,496,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
I listen to the Rowland show and he was talking about in circa 2000 (not really sure of the year) but bringing the Patriots to CT. That would have been awesome. That would have been the kick in the pants the City would have needed. I actually liked Malloy's idea of the Pro hockey team, but that unfortunately never materialized.
Yeah, the owner of the Patriots REALLY screwed the state by backing out of the deal to move them here. The new stadium was going to be built where the convention center is today. So for a couple of weekends and maybe a week night or two there would have been a lot of people downtown, maybe too many. This is the reason I am not a Patriots fan. And Rowland really was to blame for this since he made agreements with them without the proper legal papers to make it stick. Jay

Old 11-13-2013, 10:52 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,462,995 times
Quote:
This is the reason I am not a Patriots fan. And Rowland really was to blame for this since he made agreements with them without the proper legal papers to make it stick. Jay
Same here. However; I did hear that he make Kraft post a bond and back charged the Patriots the expense for engineers and lawyers. Again, all hear say.

Another fun thing that downtown offers is the Wolfpack games. Cheap and fun.

And, just thought of, does anyone remember "First Night?" That was a huge draw and wonder if it still takes place.

Old 11-13-2013, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Same here. However; I did hear that he make Kraft post a bond and back charged the Patriots the expense for engineers and lawyers. Again, all hear say.

Another fun thing that downtown offers is the Wolfpack games. Cheap and fun.

And, just thought of, does anyone remember "First Night?" That was a huge draw and wonder if it still takes place.
Hartford does stil have First Night and to my knowledge it is still very popular. We went a couple of times but in recent years we have done other things like take in a show, go to a water park hotel or just stay in with friends. Jay

Old 11-13-2013, 01:02 PM

2,485 posts, read 3,226,683 times
Quote:
Hartford HAD a pro hockey team, the Hartford Whalers. They left town for greener (or iceier) pastures.

Old 11-15-2013, 10:12 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,330,721 times
Quote:
Really? I guess I missed all the exciting stuff that the following capital cities offer:

Montgomery, AL
Juneau, AK
Little Rock, AR
Sacramento, CA
Dover, DE
Tallahassee, FL
Boise, ID
Springfield, IL
Des Moines, IA
Topeka, KS
Frankfort, KY
Augusta, ME
Annapolis, MD
Lansing MI
Jackson, MS
Jefferson City MO
Helena, MT
Lincoln, NE
Carson City, NV
Concord, NH
Trenton, NJ
Albany, NY
Bismarck, ND
Columbus, OH
Oklahoma City, OK
Salem, OR
Harrisburg, PA
Columbia, SC
Pierre, SD
Montpelier, VT
Olympia, WA
Charleston, WV
Madison, WI
Cheyenne, WY

The fact is the vast majority of state capitals are not big hoping cities. Most are smaller and a lot more boring than Hartford. Again it is all a matter of expectation. Expecting Hartford to have as much to offer as Boston or Washington DC is just absurd. Jay
Agreed, OP needs to adjust expectations accordingly. That said I'd like to submit exhibit A as evidence that Des Moines does have a lot going on downtown. That said, you'll never confuse it for DC either:

Des Moines, Iowa - In Photos: 15 U.S. Cities' Emerging Downtowns - Forbes

Old 11-15-2013, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcityguy View Post
Agreed, OP needs to adjust expectations accordingly. That said I'd like to submit exhibit A as evidence that Des Moines does have a lot going on downtown. That said, you'll never confuse it for DC either:

Des Moines, Iowa - In Photos: 15 U.S. Cities' Emerging Downtowns - Forbes
I have to laugh at this:

Des Moines, Iowa
Since 2000, more than $3 billion has been allocated to redevelop the Midwestern city's downtown. In 2008 the city enlisted urbanist and Princeton professor Mario Gandelsonas to help draw up a master plan that encompasses a skywalk system, updates to and expansion of public transit, and a public art-filled Riverwalk. From 2001 to 2011, more than 4,500 residential units were constructed in the area, boosting the local population above 8,000 residents, the largest demographic of which is young professionals ages 25 to 34 (16%).

What Forbes writes above is not much different than what has been going on in Hartford as well. Since 2000 a significant amount of money has been invested in Hartford including the connecticut Convention Center, the Connecticut Science Center, Front Street, the Marriott Hotel and a thousand or so housing units in downtown. Again if because the physical area of Hartford is just the urban core of the metropolitan area. If you look at the Hartford region you would see similar housing numbers to that in Des Moines. Also Hartford just completed a progressive plan for the city and planning has begun on the rebuilding of I-84 which will transform Hartford like nothing since it was built. Add to that the number of new housing units planned for the city and the relocation of UConn's West Hartford campus downtown. If this is what it takes to make an emerging downtown, Hartford too should be on the list.

Old 11-15-2013, 04:05 PM

59 posts, read 99,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceweasel View Post
Yeah, I went to find brunch one Sunday walking around and it was a serious ghost town - I thought they had blocked off roads to film an episode of "The Walking Dead" - it seemed too quiet. I guess that's how it is. At least I know now.

How far is Stamford from here? Is it worth the drive? What kinds of things are there to do there?
Don't know if you know of a place called "Lucky Strike" (Lucky Strike - Bowling, Parties, and Great Food | Lucky Strike). Is there a place like that here? It's like trendy lounge like bowling/billiards.
You could try Revolutions Bowling/Entertainment Center located at 60 Bidwell Rd in South Windsor, CT which is much closer! Their phone number is (860) 282-2695. There's a quick youtube video about it...(I tried to post the link but don't know how to make it work/sorry.) Hope that helps!

Last edited by biznotjobs; 11-15-2013 at 04:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut