U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-18-2013, 06:35 AM

362 posts, read 191,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
I believe Italian is the biggest ancestral group in CT.

Wooster Street is known as CT's "Little Italy". The food there is more consistent than Manhattan's Little Italy IMO, which isn't what it used to be.

Wooster Street - New Haven, Connecticut's "Little Italy" - a set on Flickr
Mulberry street in NYC's little Italy is a tourist attraction. Need to head over to Arthur Ave for real NYC Italian.

Other than New Haven I think you would have to look far and hard for an actual Italian neighborhood. Everything is so spread out now. Even in Bpt you'll find a bakery here or there but no concentrated neighborhoods.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2013, 06:45 AM

312 posts, read 140,373 times
I have to say New haven is probably the best spot for all things Italian in CT with some of the best Italian food and especially the pizza...yumm.

I am Italian and I can tell you there are a lot of Italians in Stamford where I was born and raised too. There is a really nice Italian Center in Stamford with pools, tennis courts etc.

http://italiancenter.org/

Old 11-18-2013, 06:48 AM

8,241 posts, read 9,364,469 times
Not sure why this is even up for debate. East Haven far surpasses any town/city in the state for Italian population.

Old 11-18-2013, 11:49 AM

7 posts, read 2,994 times
I know in Greenwich there are still south-italian communities.

Old 11-18-2013, 03:46 PM

11,294 posts, read 16,015,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Not sure why this is even up for debate. East Haven far surpasses any town/city in the state for Italian population.
The question was about Italian neighborhoods, not cities/towns. East Haven is definitely predominately Italian but they're spread out, and the individual neighborhoods are a pretty varied mix (with a very few, small exceptions). If you want a denser Italian population in an individual neighborhood, you won't find it in East Haven. You'll find it in Wooster Square.

Old 11-18-2013, 03:57 PM

8,241 posts, read 9,364,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
The question was about Italian neighborhoods, not cities/towns. East Haven is definitely predominately Italian but they're spread out, and the individual neighborhoods are a pretty varied mix (with a very few, small exceptions). If you want a denser Italian population in an individual neighborhood, you won't find it in East Haven. You'll find it in Wooster Square.
Could you provide a link that backs up your claim? TIA.

Old 11-18-2013, 05:09 PM

3,806 posts, read 1,746,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist&musician View Post
I have to say New haven is probably the best spot for all things Italian in CT with some of the best Italian food and especially the pizza...yumm.

I am Italian and I can tell you there are a lot of Italians in Stamford where I was born and raised too. There is a really nice Italian Center in Stamford with pools, tennis courts etc.

Italian Center of Stamford, CT ::: Outdoor Pools, Indoor Pool, Tennis, Fitness Center, Nursery School, Camps, Banquet Hall
There was a time when there were major concentrations of Italians in Stamford, particularly on the West Side between Bridge St. and West Main, with Stillwater being the commercial center - Brass Rail, Pelicci's, numerous delis and other Italian-centric businesses. The Minturese Club was on lower W. Main as the social center.

That pretty much died in the late 70s as Italians spread out.

I'm old enough to remember Nixon giving a speech at the Italian Center when it was brand new.

Old 11-18-2013, 05:33 PM

1,743 posts, read 738,544 times
East Haven, New Haven Wooster Square section, North Branford, North Haven, Cos Cob section of Greewich, parts of Middletown, Orange, Beacon Falls, Guilford, parts of Norwalk, Oxford, Southbury, parts of Stamford, parts of West Haven, parts of Waterbury, Sothington, Prospect, Upper North End section of Bridgeport

East Haven has highest in the state

Old 11-18-2013, 05:48 PM

11,423 posts, read 15,160,409 times
I will never forget Famous Pizza on Park Avenue in Bridgeport just north of University Avenue. food was out of this world. an old friend of mine was actually mugged sitting at the counter back in '80 or '81. probably gone now right?

Old 11-18-2013, 05:56 PM

1,743 posts, read 738,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
I will never forget Famous Pizza on Park Avenue in Bridgeport just north of University Avenue. food was out of this world. an old friend of mine was actually mugged sitting at the counter back in '80 or '81. probably gone now right?

Famous is still there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut