Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2013, 05:21 PM

18 posts, read 25,620 times

Advertisements

I am going on a business trip to New Haven.
I have to be there for a week.
I need to know what can I do in new haven. I am 35 years old and I have an 8 year old son. I also have a 3 year old daughter. What can I do and my kids do? Is the nightlife any good? I know yale is there, do they offer tours? Are the restaurants good?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2013, 06:00 PM

21,748 posts, read 28,070,632 times
1. Yale campus walking tour. Must do. Tours: Visitor Center | Yale University
2. Yale Art Gallery. One of the best art galleries in the northeast.
3. Yale Center for British Art. Still under renovation, but one floor is open and it's worth a look. Biggest collection of UK art in the US.
4. See a show at the Shubert. Usually family-friendly touring musicals.
5. Yale Peabody Museum. Dinosaurs and dioramas and such. Mini-Natural History museum.
6. Hike at East Rock or West Rock parks.
7. Eat famous New Haven pizza. Frank Pepe, Sally's, Modern, BAR. Sample the birthplace of the hamburger at Louis' Lunch.
8. Restaurants are fantastic. New Haven is known as being a foodie mecca. http://www.boston.com/travel/explore..._foodie_mecca/ Standouts: Zinc, Caseus, Miya's, Miso, 116 Crown, Skappo, Prime 16, Ibiza, Barcelona, Bentara. Many others.
9. Nightlife is good. For your age group, stick to BAR (a club, but respectable), Rudy's, Ordinary, Anchor Bar, Owl Shop, 116 Crown, Firehouse 12, Cask Republic, Anna Liffey's, Barcelona. If you like beer, you'll be in heaven at Cask Republic. Rudy's and Ordinary have a great tap list too, and BAR makes their own beer which is pretty respectable. Lot of the other places are college crowds or a bit too sloppy for a 30-something. See a band at Toad's, Cafe Nine, or Stella Blues. See a jazz show at Firehouse 12.
10. Check out the crypt at the Center Church on the Green. Same famous colonial peeps buried there. There's also a few gorgeous old churches scattered about town and other misc cultural treats like the Music Instruments museum, the Beinecke library, etc.
11. Walk down Hillhouse Ave (also home to the music instruments museum). Historic mansions here. Twain and Dickens called this the most beautiful street in America.
12. St. Ronin is also home to some pretty incredible 1800's to early 1900's mansions.

I'm assuming this will be in the winter? Otherwise there's lots of outdoors stuff to do, like the lighthouse park with the carousel and nearby beaches.

Old 11-23-2013, 06:05 PM

18 posts, read 25,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
1. Yale campus walking tour. Must do. Tours: Visitor Center | Yale University
2. Yale Art Gallery. One of the best art galleries in the northeast.
3. Yale Center for British Art. Still under renovation, but one floor is open and it's worth a look. Biggest collection of UK art in the US.
4. See a show at the Shubert. Usually family-friendly touring musicals.
5. Yale Peabody Museum. Dinosaurs and dioramas and such. Mini-Natural History museum.
6. Hike at East Rock or West Rock parks.
7. Eat famous New Haven pizza. Frank Pepe, Sally's, Modern, BAR. Sample the birthplace of the hamburger at Louis' Lunch.
8. Restaurants are fantastic. Standouts: Zinc, Caseus, Miya's, Miso, 116 Crown, Skappo, Prime 16, Ibiza, Barcelona, Bentara. Many others.
9. Nightlife is good. For your age group, stick to BAR (a club, but respectable), Rudy's, Ordinary, Anchor Bar, Owl Shop, 116 Crown, Firehouse 12, Cask Republic, Anna Liffey's, Barcelona. If you like beer, you'll be in heaven at Cask Republic. Rudy's and Ordinary have a great tap list too, and BAR makes their own beer which is pretty respectable. Lot of the other places are college crowds or a bit too sloppy for a 30-something. See a band at Toad's, Cafe Nine, or Stella Blues. See a jazz show at Firehouse 12.
10. Check out the crypt at the Center Church on the Green. Same famous colonial peeps buried there. There's also a few gorgeous old churches scattered about town and other misc cultural treats like the Music Instruments museum, the Beinecke library, etc.
11. Walk down Hillhouse Ave (also home to the music instruments museum). Historic mansions here. Twain and Dickens called this the most beautiful street in America.
12. St. Ronin is also home to some pretty incredible 1800's to early 1900's mansions.

I'm assuming this will be in the winter? Otherwise there's lots of outdoors stuff to do, like the lighthouse park with the carousel and nearby beaches.
It is the Monday after thanksgiving. Also, will it be better to fly in to Boston-Logan, or JFK?

Old 11-23-2013, 06:07 PM

21,748 posts, read 28,070,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iknowwhereyoulive View Post
It is the Monday after thanksgiving. Also, will it be better to fly in to Boston-Logan, or JFK?
I would do Bradley if you can, it's the closest. Logan is kind of far. JFK is fine as long as you aren't traveling on the road during rush hour traffic, and is roughly half the driving distance as Logan.

Westchester Airport is another good option, as is New Haven Tweed if you can get a connecting flight from Philly.

Old 11-23-2013, 09:56 PM

34,926 posts, read 56,924,455 times
So you know, Bradley is the airport in Hartford and is about an hour from New Haven.

For things to do with the kids, you could take a ride up to Mystic. It is about an hour ride from New Haven and there is an aquarium, the historic seaport and quant downtown. Also you can take them into New York. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut