Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 07:05 AM

5,687 posts, read 7,183,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I think many people mistake the Connecticut's respect for the privacy of others and reserved nature for being aloof and selfish. While there are some of these types, I think they are by far the exception rather than the rule. Jay
Thank you for the perspective about reserved nature and respect for the privacy of others, it makes sense and explains some things that I experienced when I lived there and while visiting, and also explains why I value my own privacy so much. If you read some of the southern forums, some of the transplants from the Northeast have difficulty with being approached by locals who want to know where they go to church and what their politics are. This doesn't happen in CT and that's a good thing.

I would say in CT you can have friends if you want them, but it takes a little time and some outreach on your part, establishment of common interests, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2013, 09:24 AM

4 posts, read 6,179 times
That was a helpful post. I have been to Madison a few times and also had good experiences. Thanks

Old 11-27-2013, 12:01 PM

134 posts, read 224,854 times
Thank you whome224, CTartist, Stylo, wavehunter, siege - we do love Madison so far! Thanks for your well-wishes, too. It's been a very welcoming little town to us, we've met some super cool people, and we love the fact that we can get to NYC relatively quickly, walk to the ocean, shop at a remarkably wide range of places within a 30-minute radius, and then visit a nearly-empty and gorgeous forested state park -- all from here.

The ONLY thing we dislike about Madison is that we had to "settle" for a fairly subpar apartment/cottage for a higher amount of money than we'd planned for - it's poor construction, very small, and has "amenities" stuck in the 1980s. But it's a start - we only have a year lease, and are constantly keeping an eye out for a nicer standalone place we hope to find by next summer.

There are a lot of things written, here and elsewhere, about the Shoreline being "too snobby" and "too expensive," but the only things that we've found that really applies to are housing and heating (gah, the heating bill... don't get me started.) EVERYTHING else (groceries, cafe food, coffee, movies, clothing shopping, public transit, etc.) we find comparable to, and often even cheaper than, pretty much anywhere else we've lived. And with the rare exception (and those are everywhere), the people are great.

Old 11-29-2013, 05:33 PM

644 posts, read 1,485,124 times
I lived in New Haven for 20 years and have lived in Branford now for 15. I've found Branford to be very down-to-earth, nice and friendly. It has a mixed population, from the very wealthy who live along the shoreline and on the islands, to professionals and younger people who commute to New Haven to work in the hospitals, Yale, and the corporations.

If you join a gym, you'll soon know everyone, an experience I did NOT have in New Haven. Strangers routinely smile and start conversations in restaurants and outdoor coffee shops. Drivers are often considerate to a fault, which is rare anywhere nowadays.

Branford also has a lot going on for a shoreline town in terms of the number of good restaurants and shopping. Some newer dept. stores have opened in the area in recent years (Kohl's, Home Depot nearby in East Haven) and there are also plenty of doctors offices.

I also like Guilford and Madison - there is more money in those towns, hence the reputation of some pockets of snobbery - but they are a bit more quiet, residential and family-oriented with fewer single people, and they don't have the proximity to New Haven that I want. All 3 towns have good schools, so it depends on what kind of feel you are looking for.

Old 11-30-2013, 11:50 PM

48 posts, read 145,303 times
CT. has many shoreline towns. Which part of the state are you referring to? Not exactly on the shore, but we live in Higganum, a small village in the town of Haddam and absolutely love it here. We are about 20 minutes or so to the beach. Very low crime rate, great schools, can be on RTE. 9 in minutes, which leads to the main Interstates such as I-91, I-95, and I-84. Center of our little town has 2 banks, a few restaurants, small grocery store, a Dry Cleaner, and just down the street, a Dentist and Medical Practice.

It is so nice to walk into the bank or pharmacy and they actually know your name, and strike up a conversation! No honking horns if you don't move 2 seconds after the light turns green. I *think* we have 3 traffic lights in the whole town.

Lots to do as we parallel the CT. River. Many boaters, fishermen, The Haddam Meadows (a CT. State Park) has a boat launch, picnic areas, etc. Across the river is East Haddam, along with the Good Speed Opera House and a cute little village there as well. Love it down here!

Old 12-02-2013, 12:44 PM

235 posts, read 783,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
I think i actually kind of miss the slight level of "pretense" that used to exist in Oronoque.
I think that "pretense" in Oronoque went out the window when some of our good neighbors realized their home values had dropped by almost $200K and showed no signs of recovering...

Old 12-02-2013, 06:32 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,863,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nish2006 View Post
I think that "pretense" in Oronoque went out the window when some of our good neighbors realized their home values had dropped by almost $200K and showed no signs of recovering...
Nice to see you drop in, nish.

The pretension actually seemed to emanate more from the Village crowd to me, as illogical as that would seem.

Old 12-02-2013, 09:32 PM

1,675 posts, read 2,789,495 times
Does anyone in Madison CT commute to NYC?

Old 12-03-2013, 06:26 AM

644 posts, read 1,485,124 times
You always hear about a few people doing outrageous commutes, but very few would sign up for that on an everyday basis. They'd spend a mininum 4 hours per day commuting whether they went by train(s) or car.

I know a couple in Madison who take the Shoreline East train to work in New Haven daily and are even getting sick of that. They have their home up for sale and intend to move closer.

Last edited by gardenpearl; 12-03-2013 at 07:38 AM..

Old 12-03-2013, 07:55 AM

21,752 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffybear View Post
Does anyone in Madison CT commute to NYC?
There might be a couple sickos that do it. I can't imagine doing that without having a crash apartment in NYC. It would approach 2.5 hours each way.

Plenty of NY people have beach houses in Madison, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut