Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2014, 08:53 PM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times

Advertisements

Check out 00z Hi-Res NAM. looks like a nice burst of precip between 12-1am in western CT with the surface below freezing. 850mb will be above at the time. So this implies moderate ice and/or sleet.

I think the changeover will happen after or around midnight. Anyone staying up for it? lol

I'll hook up my time lapse camera just to see when and how long the changeover happens.

Temps crash so heads up in the morning for slick spots. I think they should salt the roads Wednesday night. We'll see better tomorrow.

Old 03-11-2014, 09:33 PM

14,045 posts, read 13,917,236 times
CT getting close to 1" inch of rain or more Wednesday and Early thurday a quick dusking-2" inches of snow.

Stay tuned Wednesday as we learn look at models for next week pontenial storm Tuesday/Wednesday/Thurday

Last edited by BPt111; 03-11-2014 at 09:41 PM..

Old 03-11-2014, 09:37 PM

14,045 posts, read 13,917,236 times
Updated as 5:00 PM March 11, 2014 Models for next week it could change this for now.

March 17-20 is begin watched

Old 03-12-2014, 05:37 AM

Storm is currently over southern Ohio. Winds are from the ocean right into us for now. Speaking of winds which can get up to 35mph later this evening...NWS NY says something interesting.. When temps are warmer above the surface, wind gusts aren't much higher than sustained winds.

WINDS WILL INCREASE OUT OF THE S/SE IN RESPONSE TO THE TIGHTENING PRESSURE GRADIENT AS THE LOW PRESSURE TO OUR WEST DEEPENS.

DUE TO THE INVERTED THERMAL PROFILE ABOVE THE SURFACE NOT EXPECTING GUSTS TO BE MUCH HIGHER THAN SUSTAINED WINDS AT THE SURFACE.

Winter Weather Advisory up for Litchfield, Hartford, Windham, Tolland. Generally light snow and ice to be expected.

408 AM EDT WED MAR 12 2014

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 10 PM THIS EVENING TO
NOON EDT THURSDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN TAUNTON HAS ISSUED A WINTER
WEATHER ADVISORY...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 10 PM THIS EVENING TO
NOON EDT THURSDAY.

* LOCATIONS...MOST OF MASSACHUSETTS AND RHODE ISLAND EXCEPT FOR
THE IMMEDIATE SOUTH COAST. THE ADVISORY ALSO INCLUDES NORTHERN
CONNECTICUT.

* HAZARD TYPES...RAIN TRANSITIONS TO SNOW TONIGHT. A BRIEF PERIOD
OF SLEET AND FREEZING RAIN IS ALSO POSSIBLE.

* ACCUMULATIONS...SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 1 TO 2 INCHES IN MOST
LOCATIONS. 2 TO 4 INCH SNOW AMOUNTS ARE POSSIBLE NORTH OF ROUTE
2. ICE ACCRETION OF A FEW HUNDREDTHS OF AN INCH ARE ALSO
POSSIBLE.

* TIMING...STEADY RAIN WILL OVERSPREAD THE REGION FROM WEST TO
EAST THIS AFTERNOON. THE RAIN WILL CHANGE TO SNOW FROM NORTHWEST
TO SOUTHEAST BETWEEN 10 PM AND 4 AM. A BRIEF PERIOD OF SLEET AND
FREEZING RAIN IS POSSIBLE DURING THE TRANSITION. SNOW SHOWERS
WILL CONTINUE THURSDAY MORNING BEFORE TAPERING OFF DURING THE
AFTERNOON.

* IMPACTS...THE MAIN CONCERN IS FOR A FLASH FREEZE AS TEMPERATURES
PLUMMET INTO THE TEENS AND LOWER 20S. ROADS MAY QUICKLY FREEZE
OVER AS COLDER AIR QUICKLY RUSHES INTO THE REGION. A SMALL SNOW
ACCUMULATION MAY HIDE SOME OF THE ICE. THE THURSDAY MORNING RUSH
HOUR MAY BE ICY.

* WINDS...NORTHWEST 10 TO 20 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 45 MPH.

* TEMPERATURES...FALLING INTO THE TEENS TO LOWER 20S BY EARLY
THURSDAY MORNING.

Attached Thumbnails
Weather in Connecticut-map30.jpg  

Old 03-12-2014, 05:54 AM

How Fast? Check it out..

Left is 9pm tonight. Right is 2am.

NYC/BDR area is in the Upper 40s (F°) to teens within 5 hrs. That's fast! Look how tight the gradient is.

Old 03-12-2014, 06:53 AM

1,063 posts, read 1,362,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixum View Post
I guess I just live in wrong state. ct gets worse and worse. I like the seasons change but it's way too warm and not enough storms. I need the pacific northwest
The Pacific Northwest gets less snow than we do. No snowstorms with high snow totals and an average of mid 40s/low 50s in the winter.

Have you considered like, the Upper Peninsula in Michigan or something?

Old 03-12-2014, 06:57 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,416,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Csiko View Post
The Pacific Northwest gets less snow than we do. No snowstorms with high snow totals and an average of mid 40s/low 50s in the winter.

How about upstate NY towards the great lakes- think Rochester or Syracuse. You get the 4 seasons, summers aren't too hot, and you get a ton of snow. Perfect for Mixum!

Back to CT weather: how icy are we thinking tomorrow morning? Normally I would just assume they would salt the roads and no big deal but after that horrific icy drive I had to work last month (the worst I have ever driven in), my faith in the DOT and town Public Works has been shattered.

Old 03-12-2014, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
How about upstate NY towards the great lakes- think Rochester or Syracuse. You get the 4 seasons, summers aren't too hot, and you get a ton of snow. Perfect for Mixum!

Back to CT weather: how icy are we thinking tomorrow morning? Normally I would just assume they would salt the roads and no big deal but after that horrific icy drive I had to work last month (the worst I have ever driven in), my faith in the DOT and town Public Works has been shattered.
I'm thinking more snow/sleet than ice falling from sky but any water left on road might freeze up and create black ice. Maybe the winds will dry them out before they do.

According to WRF Future radar loop changeover starts after 11pm. From Ice to Snow until about 8am. Everything will be wet so that's why accumulations will be no big deal.

Wright-Weather, LLC, Comprehensive weather service. Providing the fastest updated computer model weather forecasts. Radar, satellite, lightning and more. Customized products developed

Old 03-12-2014, 08:11 AM

2,601 posts, read 3,395,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Csiko View Post

The PNW gets SMOKED with snow at higher elevations. Triple the snowwfall of the U.P. In the cities like seattle it's all rain. He just needs to buy a cabin or condo at higher elevations near one the ski villages.

Old 03-12-2014, 12:21 PM

10,006 posts, read 11,151,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post

I have told Mixum this over and over. He is perfect for the Buffalo/Syracuse area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut