Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2014, 02:32 PM

83,516 posts, read 75,307,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
January pattern looks below normal temps here. Pattern has changed and changed quickly. However, we need coastal development! Another Appalachian runner this weekend although some snow is possible inland if a secondary low forms off coast. .
Funny hearing that from someone who never believes in long range stuff. Lol.

The pattern is continuing with a south east ridge and a storm that tracks to Great Lakes. Temps cold then warm. Its January so it should be cold. The polar jet stream is stronger and airmass is colder but we can't call a pattern change until it happens otherwise your just throwing darts.

I sound like you now. Let's see what happens next week.

Maybe no January thaw this year but its not a NW flow pattern with coastal storms. Seasonable might be the theme.

Old 12-30-2014, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_Native View Post
Its going to be Scenario #1. Just the same pattern continuing. The arctic a high over Quebec will help keep many at snow first, then warm air invades and changes everyone to rain. Ice is a concern if surface doesn't warm up when the mid levels do.

----------------------------------

Euro and Canadian show a clipper Tuesday. GFS does not. That would be snow. Forget these storms from the south. Warm air is easy to push up this year and arctic air is weak. We need clippers!

Old 12-30-2014, 02:35 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,161,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Funny hearing that from someone who never believes in long range stuff. Lol.

The pattern is continuing with a south east ridge and a storm that tracks to Great Lakes. Temps cold then warm. Its January so it should be cold. The polar jet stream is stronger and airmass is colder but we can't call a pattern change until it happens otherwise your just throwing darts.

I sound like you now. Let's see what happens next week before we guess what entire January will be like.

Maybe no January thaw this year but its not a NW flow pattern with coastal storms. Seasonable might be the theme.
Educated guess...see what happens. Wow looked at Accuweathers monthly (useless I know) they have it pretty well below normal for long stretches..

Old 12-30-2014, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Educated guess...see what happens. Wow looked at Accuweathers monthly (useless I know) they have it pretty well below normal for long stretches..
I hope the pattern we had was a short one. If that is the case then yeah, we'll see a new one now. But sometimes it doesn't mean a better one. Could just be cold and dry instead. We'll see. Lets take it Storm by storm.

I really hope this clipper happens next week otherwise we might go past mid January without a snow event.

I wonder if BDL can squeeze 2" of snow on Saturday night before the ice and rain

Old 12-30-2014, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhtonyy View Post
I would not listen to Accweather...they said December would be below normal

I think the pattern stays mild for the Tri-State area. We ended December more than 4 F above normal. Here on the coast, we have enjoyed a nice mild month, my grass is still green I think we'll see a few cool/cold shots and some light snow here and there, but this will be a warm winter overall for CT/NY/NJ.

To think in just 60 days spring starts.....and then another long hot summer.
Thats why I put useless in quotes But other trends point to a pattern change.

Actually another long summer would be a fallacy as last summer was one of the shortest and coolest we have had in a while.

Old 12-30-2014, 07:49 PM

4,317 posts, read 4,205,955 times
Quote:
Its January so it should be cold.
No way.

Quote:
I really hope this clipper happens next week...
Cambium: I think you need to pick another hobby, rather than hope a snowstorm on us.

Besides, what's wrong with an uneventful winter?

Old 12-30-2014, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by egret34 View Post
I see long term warmth for the last 60 days of winter. I think the ground is just too warm for any real snow to stick.

This winter seems to be passing really fast. I head to Florida next week so I'll miss the next three weeks. By the time I get back I'll just have Feb left. I can deal with late winter (Feb/early March) much better, as I know the days are getting longer each day and the sun is getting stronger and stronger.
LOL..ground to warm to stick...that's a good one. Its going to be below freezing every day this week. How is that going to contribute to that nutty notion?

Old 12-30-2014, 08:19 PM

2,601 posts, read 3,397,987 times
Quote:
LOL..ground to warm to stick...that's a good one. Its going to be below freezing every day this week. How is that going to contribute to that nutty notion?
Yeah really. One night in the teens and the ground is hard as rock

Old 12-31-2014, 05:40 AM

2,918 posts, read 3,230,555 times
So are we having snowstorm this weekend? We're hosting a post-holiday party at our house Saturday night, so I'm trying to figure out how difficult Saturday travel might be. I hate the sound of possible freezing rain!!

Old 12-31-2014, 05:53 AM

11,298 posts, read 18,888,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
Yeah really. One night in the teens and the ground is hard as rock
But we're talking about several nights.....however remember the NY/NJ Super Bowl last year? Was in the 50s for the game and snow very much stuck the next day.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut