Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2015, 03:35 PM

83,285 posts, read 74,525,174 times

Advertisements

Here's a look at the mean annual snowfall totals. This is using the previous 30yr records. They haven't updated their maps and I forgot where the link is. I had this saved.

You can see the Hudson "valley" in purple (36"-48") like Poughkeepsie up to Albany I believe.. Then just to the East of the Valley between Southern NY valley and CT border there's the higher elevation which get 48"+ on average including Litchfield in that

On the right is the record amount of snow that fell in 1 day (midnight to midnight)

Zoomed in. You can see the different shade for BDR and New Haven 24-36 range.
I also learned the NW NJ gets as much snow as southern Litchfield County. There's someone from there posting in the weather forum. Always colder and snowier

Old 01-15-2015, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Will update this after today. This arctic air not as cold as last years shots.
Extended this years to yesterdays date. So now we can match 9 days vs 9 days. As cold as we've been, it's not near last years Arctic blast but still it's around Top 10 for the period itself.

BDR: Bridgeport, CT

January 01-09, 2014 (9 Days)
Average Temp: 22.3° (5th Coldest on record)
Max Average: 31.7° (7th Coldest on record)
Min Average: 13.0° (3rd Coldest on record)

January 22-30, 2014 (9 Days)
Average Temp: 19.1° (3rd Coldest)
Max Average: 25.9° (3rd Coldest)
Min Average: 12.3° (5th Coldest)

January 6-14, 2015 (9 Days)
Average Temp: 22.9° (10th Coldest)
Max Average: 29.4° (9th Coldest)
Min Average: 16.4° (11th Coldest)

Old 01-15-2015, 05:06 PM

4,316 posts, read 4,168,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Agree in terms of elevation that Mt. Frissel should have more snow, but 40 miles north actually has about the same minor effect as 150 ft more elevation.
Not to split hairs, but we should get the math correct.

Pittsfield is not 150 feet lower than Norfolk, but 200 feet lower. Plus aerial distance is 30 miles, not 40 miles, which is the winding road mileage.

Regardless, Mikelizard's point is correct. Otherwise how would we explain the fact that Norfolk has identical snowfall as Worthington, MA, which is even another 200 feet higher (Elevation 1433')?

Turned the other way -- why is Pittsfield's snowfall (65") the same as Worcester's? Pittsfield is twice as high (1040') than Worcester (450' elevation).

Your other point -- vicinity to a body of water -- is a correct one. That is why snowfall for Stamford is higher than Bridgeport's, which is higher than Groton's.

Old 01-15-2015, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
Turned the other way -- why is Pittsfield's snowfall (65") the same as Worcester's? Pittsfield is twice as high (1040') than Worcester (450' elevation).
I haven't been following the conversation but I wonder if that has to do with records being kept? Nobody there in Pittsfield to report snowfall all the time, I believe it's an automatic station there like Danbury & Oxford. Poughkeepsie has records but not Pittsfield. So any snow records shown for PSF is questionable. Unless from NCDC/NOAA I guess. Climate Data: ALB, GFL, POU, DDH & PSF

Also ORH(Worcester) is 1000', not 450 so probably why they match well with snowfall if that Pittsfield # is right.

But on that note... this weekends storm will favor Pittsfield getting more snow than Worcester. Just how things roll sometimes.

North to South freezing line pushing East. Storm over Boston says Euro. 3-6" for Pittsfield, 1/2" for Worcester. 10"+ for most of Vermont!

Anyone over or to the right of the dotted blue line is rain. Map on right is total snowfall from this particular Euro update.

You can see how a slight shift in storm track ALWAYS makes a difference in winter.

If instead of Boston its over Hartford then Albany or even Vermont doesn't get big snows.

Old 01-15-2015, 07:07 PM

4,316 posts, read 4,168,786 times
Quote:
I haven't been following the conversation but I wonder if that has to do with records being kept? Nobody there in Pittsfield to report snowfall all the time, I believe it's an automatic station there like Danbury & Oxford. Poughkeepsie has records but not Pittsfield. So any snow records shown for PSF is questionable. Unless from NCDC/NOAA I guess. Climate Data: ALB, GFL, POU, DDH & PSF
I think Pittsfield's Municipal Airport reports it. Elevation 1143'.

Quote:
Also ORH(Worcester) is 1000', not 450 so probably why they match well with snowfall if that Pittsfield # is right.
You are correct. I didn't realize the difference in elevation from downtown to the airport.

Old 01-15-2015, 09:01 PM

2,601 posts, read 3,374,924 times
Quote:
Here's a look at the mean annual snowfall totals. This is using the previous 30yr records. They haven't updated their maps and I forgot where the link is. I had this saved.

You can see the Hudson "valley" in purple (36"-48") like Poughkeepsie up to Albany I believe.. Then just to the East of the Valley between Southern NY valley and CT border there's the higher elevation which get 48"+ on average including Litchfield in that

On the right is the record amount of snow that fell in 1 day (midnight to midnight)

Zoomed in. You can see the different shade for BDR and New Haven 24-36 range.
I also learned the NW NJ gets as much snow as southern Litchfield County. There's someone from there posting in the weather forum. Always colder and snowier
Great maps! I wish they made one more high resolution for each state alone.

Also, let's not forget the nw hills have had a REAL storm this year getting nearly a foot at the highest elevations. And that was back in November! We are still waiting everywhere else in the state for an actual snowstorm. This is getting ridiculous considering it's the middle of jan and nothing on the horizon. I need snow bad.

Old 01-16-2015, 05:54 AM

11,243 posts, read 18,721,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
Not to split hairs, but we should get the math correct.

Pittsfield is not 150 feet lower than Norfolk, but 200 feet lower. Plus aerial distance is 30 miles, not 40 miles, which is the winding road mileage.

Regardless, Mikelizard's point is correct. Otherwise how would we explain the fact that Norfolk has identical snowfall as Worthington, MA, which is even another 200 feet higher (Elevation 1433')?

Your other point -- vicinity to a body of water -- is a correct one. That is why snowfall for Stamford is higher than Bridgeport's, which is higher than Groton's.
30 miles would prove my point even further because I think those are the actual distances for Hartford vs. Springfield, and Danbury vs. Poughkeepsie, not 40.

Not to split hairs on my end either, but aren't Stamford, Bridgeport and Groton all on the water? And I didn't think Stamford had an official weather station (Groton's being New London, but I don't see snowfall stats for NL).

Old 01-16-2015, 06:23 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,462,206 times
Giving up on this winter. Sunday is 40 and rain, Thursday is supposed to miss us completely. Already planning for Spring at this point.

Old 01-16-2015, 06:54 AM

A look at the max & min actuals & departures this month so far..

Only 1 of last 10 days has been above normal.

Normal is 37/23 at BDR. 34/17 at BDL. BDL has been in the single digits 8 times this month.,

Old 01-16-2015, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchrider View Post
Giving up on this winter. Sunday is 40 and rain, Thursday is supposed to miss us completely. Already planning for Spring at this point.

I was going to post this....

But the pattern (yes JP03) is now looking different. The problem is... IMO, we needed this January type pattern to happen in December to get snows in DEC/JAN/FEB. Not end of JAN/FEB/MAR. Reason is #1. Chances. #2. Pattern gets set into place.

So could we end up having a "2nd half" real winter??? Who the heck knows.... but at least what I'm seeing is not like what I was seeing in December with the warmth and southerly flow.

We still might not get snowstorm but at least the chances are starting to show up.

Clipper on Wednesday. I'm already rearranging work plans for it.
Close Call for Jan 24th. All models show nothing for us now.

That's really it right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut