Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 09:52 PM

6,500 posts, read 6,033,369 times

Advertisements

Ok, politics and views of Obamacare aside, what the heck are we spending any money on a tacky painting for? And how exactly does this raise awareness or positivity on Obamacare? As if it hasnt been in the news enough, we need to spend $75 grand for it? Just who was this money for? The painters? You couldve let some teens put some tacky graffiti up for free and they wouldve done it, and it wouldve looked better. Probably wouldve been more diverse even.

New Haven mural helps Access Health CT raise awareness and positivity

Connecticut's Obamacare Exchange Spends $75K on Murals

And some wonder why some of us have a big problem with government some times. Any chance they get to waste money, they take it. And while $75k may seem like a drop in the bucket, it all adds up. That $75k could've been used else where, perhaps something a little more worth while.

Im still curious as to just where the money came from. Is it State tax payer money? New Haven tax payer money? Either way, we need to cut costs in any responsible way we can, and yes, that means no tacky, silly political murals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2013, 10:53 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,228,187 times
Propaganda with a capital "P." Seriously disgusts me too. Reminds of cold war, Soviet-style artwork. As a Gen-Xer, I clearly remember cheering the destruction of this propaganda bullish*t as it was torn down, burned out, knocked to the ground, hit with shoes, and desecrated & decimated for all the world to see back in '91-'92. So sad that we now have a generation of lost souls embracing this political idol worship. I fear we've completely lost our way . . .

Old 12-13-2013, 02:05 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,851,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalalally View Post
Propaganda with a capital "P." Seriously disgusts me too. Reminds of cold war, Soviet-style artwork. As a Gen-Xer, I clearly remember cheering the destruction of this propaganda bullish*t as it was torn down, burned out, knocked to the ground, hit with shoes, and desecrated & decimated for all the world to see back in '91-'92. So sad that we now have a generation of lost souls embracing this political idol worship. I fear we've completely lost our way . . .
I agree. Have you ever noticed how infrequently they play "our" music in commercial ads? They(advertisers) seem to be getting the message that we understand exactly what they're trying to do, and shun them when they're stupid enough to do it. The boomers and the "Y" gens seem to be fodder for playing the sheeple though.

Old 12-13-2013, 06:37 AM

627 posts, read 1,057,623 times
Raging against arts funding? What is this, the 80's?

Old 12-13-2013, 07:09 AM

1,063 posts, read 1,361,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalalally View Post

It's only propaganda if you don't like it, then? Did you actually look at the mural posted? It looks nothing like Soviet anything.

It's absolutely not worth $75k though. They could have probably found some real talent somewhere. Are there pictures of any of the other ones?

Old 12-13-2013, 07:47 AM

6,500 posts, read 6,033,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackfu View Post
Raging against arts funding? What is this, the 80's?
Why should funds, that I assume are coming from the tax payer, go to art? Governments state, town, etc need to learn and stick to their roles. Throwing what some people dont even pull in in a year of salary at a tacky mural is a misuse of tax payer money. You love "art" as well as im sure many others do, and Im sure many others love Obamacare....they shouldve took donations to fund this. Im sure all you art and Obamacare lovers wouldve been willing to fund it. Governments should only fund the essentials and stick to their roles.

Old 12-13-2013, 08:57 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,840,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
Why should funds, that I assume are coming from the tax payer, go to art? Governments state, town, etc need to learn and stick to their roles. Throwing what some people dont even pull in in a year of salary at a tacky mural is a misuse of tax payer money. You love "art" as well as im sure many others do, and Im sure many others love Obamacare....they shouldve took donations to fund this. Im sure all you art and Obamacare lovers wouldve been willing to fund it. Governments should only fund the essentials and stick to their roles.
You should see Philly , over 7,000 Murals , some paided for with Public money...others privately... They've added a nice touch to certain neighborhoods ,and have become tourist traps... While I don't agree with this use of funding , should funds not go to Museums or Parks?

Last edited by DarkWolf; 12-13-2013 at 09:07 AM..

Old 12-13-2013, 09:14 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,493,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
You should see Philly , over 7,000 Murals , some paided for with Public money...others privately... They've added a nice touch to certain neighborhoods ,and have become tourist traps... While I don't agree with this use of funding , should funds not go to Museums or Parks?
Nobody is going to be taking trips to see the Obamacare mural. LOVE Philly...yes, I took a pic and walked by it myself on my stroll to the museum steps "Adrian!!". But that's apples and oranges to me.

I think the argument here is $75k can go a much longer way to doing good things in New Haven and I have to agree. For instance, State Street and the little restaurants and bars around that strip are great but find a parking spot where you feel comfortable or safe to walk from is a different story. I was at Goodfella's the other night and parked around the corner. With the really dimly lit streets and not so well kept neighborhoods behind it didn't make for a great walk to or from the restaurant.

Old 12-13-2013, 10:38 AM

21,717 posts, read 28,042,339 times
$75k is the total, it wasn't just in New Haven.

But yeah, total waste of money.

I'm all for supporting the arts, but this is pure propaganda.

Old 12-13-2013, 12:54 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,935,866 times
This is absolutely outrageous. Those murals only represent one race, which happens to be a minority and is not reflective of the overall population. Furthermore, those murals look EXACTLY like they were borrowed from the Soviet Union or North Korea. Anyone who says otherwise hasn't seen what Soviet or other communist propaganda looks like. And finally, it's a waste of taxpayer dollars; no debate there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut