Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 11:51 PM

17 posts, read 60,494 times

Advertisements

I agree with the above poster. Greenwich and Westport are a lot less socially conservative. People often make the statement that Fairfield County Republicans are generally fiscally conservative/socially liberal to moderate. This, I believe, is true all throughout the county except for New Canaan and Darien.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2014, 09:59 AM

17 posts, read 60,494 times
I'd also consider Westchester County, NY, or perhaps Essex County, NJ.

Old 01-16-2014, 10:16 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,937,475 times
I'm gay, 29 and live in FFC right now. I wouldn't consider Stamford, Norwalk, Westport, Bridgeport or Stratford to be conservative at all. Even in the so-called "conservative" towns that you mentioned, no one cares about your sexual orientation. In New England, conservatives don't vote Republican because of the same sex marriage issue. They vote Republican because they want smaller government involvement in fiscal matters and regulations. This is not Oklahoma. I'm atheist and I don't really know anyone that goes to church or talks about it at all.

Old 01-16-2014, 10:19 AM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I'm gay, 29 and live in FFC right now. I wouldn't consider Stamford, Norwalk, Westport, Bridgeport or Stratford to be conservative at all. Even in the so-called "conservative" towns that you mentioned, no one cares about your sexual orientation. In New England, conservatives don't vote Republican because of the same sex marriage issue. They vote Republican because they want smaller government involvement in fiscal matters and regulations. This is not Oklahoma. I'm atheist and I don't really know anyone that goes to church or talks about it at all.
It's true. The Republican party would probably have a fighting chance in the next presidential election if they aligned with the New England Republicans.

Old 01-16-2014, 10:23 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,956,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
It's true. The Republican party would probably have a fighting chance in the next presidential election if they aligned with the New England Republicans.
Then, the socially conservative "base" in the South and Midwest wouldn't turn out, putting swing states in Democratic hands, and moving some of those "pink" states into swing status.

Old 01-16-2014, 11:26 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,937,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
But that didn't turn out so well with Mitt Romney.

Although, he went hard on the social issues and called for a constitutional ban on gay marriage and abortion.

Old 01-16-2014, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
But that didn't turn out so well with Mitt Romney.

Although, he went hard on the social issues and called for a constitutional ban on gay marriage and abortion.
That was the problem both McCain & Romney had - to win the primaries, they have to campaign way to the right over their more moderate actual governing style. But, then when it comes to the general election, they get called out for so recently taking far more extreme positions.

Old 01-20-2014, 12:24 AM

32 posts, read 59,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by push0d View Post
I'd also consider Westchester County, NY, or perhaps Essex County, NJ.
Your earlier posts suggest quite a negative feeling towards Darien, but it's a position I think you should reconsider. We have met with quite a few people in Darien and have found them completely friendly, accepting and open-minded. It seems like an educated community with a smart, fiscally conservative and fairly socially liberal population. Most of the positive comments in this thread have rung true I'm happy to report. I look forward to living there full time.

Old 01-20-2014, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr&MrBrooklyn View Post
Your earlier posts suggest quite a negative feeling towards Darien, but it's a position I think you should reconsider. We have met with quite a few people in Darien and have found them completely friendly, accepting and open-minded. It seems like an educated community with a smart, fiscally conservative and fairly socially liberal population. Most of the positive comments in this thread have rung true I'm happy to report. I look forward to living there full time.
Glad you're finding Darien to be a positive experience.

Old 01-20-2014, 02:57 PM

287 posts, read 623,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr&MrBrooklyn View Post
Glad you like Darien. Just curious, in what part of town did you end up? Think that makes all the difference in the town and the personalities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut