Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 08:25 AM

1,929 posts, read 2,037,963 times

Advertisements

I lived in Middletown in my mid 20s. Not too expensive, convenient enough to both Hartford and NH, and there are some good bars/restaurants downtown. There are plenty of other young professionals in town due to the availability and affordability of housing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2013, 11:09 PM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgmrg View Post
Thanks, Willow Wind. I actually briefly commuted from Hartford to New Haven and really hated the drive--random traffic, and ugly scenery. I like New Haven a lot, though, and would far prefer to work there--it would open up all the nice shoreline towns, but alas, I don't have the option. I hadn't considered Wallingford but will look into it.

The Middletown recommendations are interesting--I had always considered it a not very nice place to live, but then upon reconsidering realized that I never actually spent much time there, if any.

I like Glastonbury okay, but the issue there is that there's typically hideous traffic to travel the relatively short distance to Hartford, which would be frustrating. It also seems like a lot of the rentals are in complexes, which is something I am not at all interested in. So I don't think that's in the cards.

The more I think about it, the more and more I am leaning towards the West End. It's much prettier than WH, in my opinion, and above Farmington is very safe. It's certainly not ideal, but I guess nothing is.
You are the first poster here to say that West Hartford is ugly and that the West End is prettier. Are you sure you know all of West Hartford?

And to say you did not like driving from Hartford to New Haven because of the random traffic and then to come here and say you want to move to Essex, does not make sense. If you work in Hartford, you will face traffic no matter where you live. Coming in from Essex, you will likely hit trafffic in Middletown and then pretty much all the way into Hartford.

Also Essex is kind of touristy and dloes not have a lot nearby. You would have to travel pretty far for major shopping and entertainment.

You also say that you have a high pressure job which gives you little time for going out after work. If you lived in Essex you would be driving anextra 45 minute each way. That is completely lost time that you could use for a personal; life. I would recommend looking at a town closer to Hartford to minimize your commute. JMHO, Jay

Old 12-22-2013, 01:54 PM

468 posts, read 708,395 times
I have driven Route 9 regularly throughout my life and have literally never encountered traffic; 91 is a totally different beast. While there is traffic within Hartford, that's unavoidable unless I live downtown, which is not an option.

The West End is full of beautiful Victorian-era homes, many of them impeccably restored, and it's very safe and quiet above Farmington (which is the only part of it that I'd consider). It is also largely an academic community, has Elizabeth Park, and is convenient to Hartford. West Hartford is just not my cup of tea as a place to live (though it has some decent restaurants and bars), and I'll leave it at that.

I grew up in one of Connecticut's most beautiful, historic towns, and I like being in that kind of environment, which is why Essex came to mind. I also love being near water. The purpose of me asking the question was to get ideas from posters as to where one could live that is commutable to Hartford that would be a similar environment, if such a thing is possible. It's apparently inconceivable to some posters that someone my age wouldn't want to live in West Hartford, but it just doesn't appeal to me for a variety of reasons.

Old 12-22-2013, 02:00 PM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
Elizabeth Park is shared by Hartford and West Hartford. The stately homes of the West End bleed into West Hartford. It sounds like you'll like Middletown and you'll have access to the charming lower CT valley towns, New Haven, quicker access to shoreline, and a self contained social scene.

Old 12-22-2013, 02:11 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,852,893 times
Quote:
West Hartford is just not my cup of tea as a place to live (though it has some decent restaurants and bars), and I'll leave it at that.

It's apparently inconceivable to some posters that someone my age wouldn't want to live in West Hartford, but it just doesn't appeal to me for a variety of reasons.

There's nothing wrong with that. We all have our opinions.

Old 12-23-2013, 09:08 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,956,682 times
If you leave Essex after 7am on weekday mornings, or before 9am, you're likely going to see a significant backup on 9 North at the two lights in Middletown. The backup will sometimes start as far back as exit 11, or even close to exit 10. I made the trip up 9 North frequently for work from 2012 until the end of this past summer. Unless I left the shoreline by 6:45 or so, I'd hit traffic going North. Even leaving at 6:50 to 6:55 made a big difference. I'd often get frustrated enough that I'd get off 9 North at Exit 10 and take back roads to the end of Main St in Middletown and get back on the highway at that last light.

To be honest, however, I rarely ran into much traffic once I merged onto 91 North in Cromwell until I hit Hartford, or just south of Hartford.

I usually left my office late enough at night to avoid hitting much traffic on the return journey. So, I can't tell you about the backup between 4pm and 6:30pm or so going South.

Old 12-23-2013, 09:24 AM

163 posts, read 240,475 times
Quote:
I have driven Route 9 regularly throughout my life and have literally never encountered traffic; 91 is a totally different beast. While there is traffic within Hartford, that's unavoidable unless I live downtown, which is not an option.

The West End is full of beautiful Victorian-era homes, many of them impeccably restored, and it's very safe and quiet above Farmington (which is the only part of it that I'd consider). It is also largely an academic community, has Elizabeth Park, and is convenient to Hartford. West Hartford is just not my cup of tea as a place to live (though it has some decent restaurants and bars), and I'll leave it at that.

I grew up in one of Connecticut's most beautiful, historic towns, and I like being in that kind of environment, which is why Essex came to mind. I also love being near water. The purpose of me asking the question was to get ideas from posters as to where one could live that is commutable to Hartford that would be a similar environment, if such a thing is possible. It's apparently inconceivable to some posters that someone my age wouldn't want to live in West Hartford, but it just doesn't appeal to me for a variety of reasons.
lmfao- are you new around here? Do NOT disparage WeHa or Milford. Everyone should live in WeHa or Milford.

Old 12-23-2013, 02:03 PM

468 posts, read 708,395 times
Hahaha, cdhpotter. Apparently I struck a nerve with some people. How dare I like historic homes, New England charm, and a quiet atmosphere? Why can't I enjoy the sheer beauty of Farmington Avenue, Blue Back Square, and 1960s-era housing stock? Don't I just love paying for parking everywhere? Isn't my every hope and dream fulfilled by having not one, but two Starbucks and Whole Foods located five minutes apart?

Really. I must be insane.

Old 12-23-2013, 02:04 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,487,187 times
Quote:
Hahaha, cdhpotter. Apparently I struck a nerve with some people. How dare I like historic homes, New England charm, and a quiet atmosphere? Why can't I enjoy the sheer beauty of Farmington Avenue, Blue Back Square, and 1960s-era housing stock? Don't I just love paying for parking everywhere? Isn't my every hope and dream fulfilled by having not one, but two Starbucks and Whole Foods located five minutes apart?

^^^^haha, this get my thumbs up!

Old 12-23-2013, 02:29 PM

6,121 posts, read 5,084,587 times
Quote:

LOL! While I love WH, and all of the "conveniences" you list, I do appreciate Chester & Essex for what they offer. And the commute is not ungodly if the peace & atmosphere you'll enjoy while at home are worth it. More power to you...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut