U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2020, 03:23 AM

27,558 posts, read 26,919,185 times

Advertisements

Did they ever make those improvements to the Waterbury branch that would allow more than one train on the tracks at a time? Figuring out how to get that frequency up, increasing the through-runs to at least Stamford, and extending out to connect to Hartford would likely be a massive boon. CT has a major net loss when it comes to federal spending versus federal revenue, so maybe the Feds can get a bit of a priority boost whenever that trillion dollar infrastructure plan comes around.

This plan Amtrak for high-speed rail tendered a decade ago probably would make a huge difference:

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2020, 04:35 AM

7,258 posts, read 11,803,517 times
I hope so. City has good bones.

Old 02-05-2020, 08:15 AM

17,683 posts, read 21,233,641 times
I personally don’t support upgrades to the Waterbury line.

The ridership is low because there’s much less need for a train line in that area. Traffic is not really an issue and there’s just not enough jobs. Also, I don’t think it’s a case of “if you build it they will come”. The investment would be too great for the return. That line is so far behind it would need a massive amount of money to modernize.

Whereas the New Haven line has tons of use, is critical for the Southwest CT economy, and is in desperate need of investment. That train is 30 minutes slower than it was in 1980 which is pathetic..

Old 02-05-2020, 08:16 AM

624 posts, read 216,350 times
Saying "never" is really short sighted.

That being said, it won't be for a long time. Decades, if not over 50 years.

The order will go like this:

Stamford
NH
Norwalk
Bridgeport
Hartford
Danbury
New London
Norwich
Waterbury

^Based off current trends, coastline accessibility, and the unique assets each area has to offer. But it will happen.

Old 02-05-2020, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
I personally don’t support upgrades to the Waterbury line.

The ridership is low because there’s much less need for a train line in that area. Traffic is not really an issue and there’s just not enough jobs. Also, I don’t think it’s a case of “if you build it they will come”. The investment would be too great for the return. That line is so far behind it would need a massive amount of money to modernize.

Whereas the New Haven line has tons of use, is critical for the Southwest CT economy, and is in desperate need of investment. That train is 30 minutes slower than it was in 1980 which is pathetic..
I’m definitely for New Haven Line main branch improvements before Waterbury branch improvements, but that isn’t the same thing as saying the Waterbury branch should not be improved. Improvements on the Waterbury branch obviously aren’t geared solely towards helping Waterbury, but every station along the branch. One improvement that would help with both would be to make the Bridgeport station such that the express trains don’t need to move on to the local tracks to serve the station which would open up capacity.

Old 02-05-2020, 12:55 PM

17,683 posts, read 21,233,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I’m definitely for New Haven Line main branch improvements before Waterbury branch improvements, but that isn’t the same thing as saying the Waterbury branch should not be improved. Improvements on the Waterbury branch obviously aren’t geared solely towards helping Waterbury, but every station along the branch. One improvement that would help with both would be to make the Bridgeport station such that the express trains don’t need to move on to the local tracks to serve the station which would open up capacity.
I hear you, but unfortunately our train infrastructure budget is rather limited. So, if you have $100 and you need $150 to get the New Haven Line up to snuff, it's hard for me to get behind lesser used branch upgrades.

Old 02-05-2020, 01:32 PM

1,689 posts, read 1,352,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoNgFooCj View Post
I wonder what peoples opinions are like 6 years later and if the Outlook has changed at all. I've read all 12 pages, and it seems like this one really went off topic not 3 pages in. Sure, other cities problems have at least some relation to the problems in Waterbury, and comparisons can be drawn, and so, what do you think, does the outlook for Waterbury in the 2020s look any better?
It's going to depend on how the city markets itself, but the opportunity is there. The Waterbury suburbs are having a mini-boom, with several experiencing population growth over the past decade. About half of the "hottest" towns for real estate in CT in 2019 are Waterbury area towns. The recent investment in expanding 84 is paying off as it has greatly improved travel through the area.

I just don't think enough people know about what the city/location/area offers. The theater, the symphony, the food, the thriving outdoor sports and agribusiness scene in surrounding towns... the tourist railroad... there's some potential.

Old 02-05-2020, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
I hear you, but unfortunately our train infrastructure budget is rather limited. So, if you have $100 and you need $150 to get the New Haven Line up to snuff, it's hard for me to get behind lesser used branch upgrades.
Yea, I think we’re in agreement just that we put it in different ways. I understand the main branch is much more important, hell, it’s probably much more important to a good chunk of Waterbury branch riders who transfer to the main branch, and that funding is limited, so with limited funding, the main branch improvements are key.

Old 02-08-2020, 09:16 AM

1,916 posts, read 754,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudFairfielder View Post
Saying "never" is really short sighted.

That being said, it won't be for a long time. Decades, if not over 50 years.

The order will go like this:

Stamford
NH
Norwalk
Bridgeport
Hartford
Danbury
New London
Norwich
Waterbury

^Based off current trends, coastline accessibility, and the unique assets each area has to offer. But it will happen.
Norwich before Waterbury lol. I'm born and raised in Norwich and it has just about no future of its own. Norwich is a town to live, not a town to work, play, and shop. All those 3 things are done outside the city for the most part.

Also, 395 is kind-of like Connecticuts forgotten highway. It serves no huge purpose besides connecting New London, Norwich, Plainfield, and Worcester. When you type NYC to Boston on G Maps it doesn't even come up as an alternate route.

Besides, it's not like they're only gonna revive one at a time. Especially if the state as a whole goes into revival mode.

Old 02-09-2020, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoNgFooCj View Post
Norwich before Waterbury lol. I'm born and raised in Norwich and it has just about no future of its own. Norwich is a town to live, not a town to work, play, and shop. All those 3 things are done outside the city for the most part.

Also, 395 is kind-of like Connecticuts forgotten highway. It serves no huge purpose besides connecting New London, Norwich, Plainfield, and Worcester. When you type NYC to Boston on G Maps it doesn't even come up as an alternate route.

Besides, it's not like they're only gonna revive one at a time. Especially if the state as a whole goes into revival mode.
Maybe there's the odd chance that Norwich gets its passenger rail line back up and running. New London, Mohegan Sun, Norwich, Willimantic / Eastern Connecticut State University, Storrs / UConn? It'd be way down on the list of transit upgrades, but y'know, maybe one day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut