U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 01:33 AM

11,155 posts, read 14,556,112 times

Advertisements

Did anyone notice that the poverty rate in Willington and Mansfield are both about 18%? That's outrageous.....wtf? The only thing I can think of is all the college students, but it's just kind of weird. I mean is it really fair to say that many college students are indeed living in poverty while attending college? Usually when I think of poverty, I envision poor people struggling for survival. Not college students.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2013, 07:53 AM

434 posts, read 381,914 times
It's the students living off-campus. Little or no income puts them below the poverty line. Here's a link that discusses it:
Students Make College Towns’ Poverty Look Worse - Real Time Economics - WSJ

Old 12-31-2013, 09:24 AM

Well that's pretty ridiculous, if you ask me. They should exclude college students from the measure. Some college towns in other states have poverty rates up to 58% because of a high college student population, but when you exclude them, that rate drops down to like 14%. Crazy.

Old 12-31-2013, 09:24 AM

468 posts, read 584,155 times
Have you been to Mansfield lately? My father's family has been from that area for generations, and my 96-yo great-Aunt still lives there. Just driving around, it's clearly pretty a mixed-income area, at best.

I think the continuing decline of Willimantic is bleeding over into Mansfield. When my dad was growing up, Willimantic was still a prosperous mill town and Mansfield was a pretty rural area that was relatively affluent due to the University (in fact, at that time Mansfield was so small it had only a town Constable instead of a police force--my grandfather!). Obviously, Willimantic has almost completely collapsed, probably irreversibly, and I think it's reasonable to assume that has bled over into nearby communities. There's also been a noticeable demographic shift. At least noticeable to my great-Aunt, who reports hearing Spanish spoken as much or more often than English in town.

I don't doubt that having the University there has some effect, but it's my understanding that most of the off-campus housing isn't in Mansfield. As far as I know, most of the rentals in town are single-family homes, as opposed to large complexes aimed at college kids.

Old 12-31-2013, 10:22 AM

I don't think Willimantic is getting worse than it was at it's worst. I also don't think Mansfield is going downhill- if anything, the opposite. The new development of the "downtown" and the plans to expand UConn are just going to bring the area up.

There are a fair number of apartment complexes in Mansfield, and others scattered in Willington and Ashford. There are also a lot of single-family houses that are being rented to students.

Old 12-31-2013, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamz View Post
I don't think Willimantic is getting worse than it was at it's worst. I also don't think Mansfield is going downhill- if anything, the opposite. The new development of the "downtown" and the plans to expand UConn are just going to bring the area up.

There are a fair number of apartment complexes in Mansfield, and others scattered in Willington and Ashford. There are also a lot of single-family houses that are being rented to students.
Oh, oh well. I hate college towns. It's very annoying to see college kids out and about everywhere.

Old 12-31-2013, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Oh, oh well. I hate college towns. It's very annoying to see college kids out and about everywhere.
OK.

Old 12-31-2013, 12:39 PM

1,989 posts, read 3,350,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgmrg View Post
Have you been to Mansfield lately? My father's family has been from that area for generations, and my 96-yo great-Aunt still lives there. Just driving around, it's clearly pretty a mixed-income area, at best.

I think the continuing decline of Willimantic is bleeding over into Mansfield. When my dad was growing up, Willimantic was still a prosperous mill town and Mansfield was a pretty rural area that was relatively affluent due to the University (in fact, at that time Mansfield was so small it had only a town Constable instead of a police force--my grandfather!). Obviously, Willimantic has almost completely collapsed, probably irreversibly, and I think it's reasonable to assume that has bled over into nearby communities. There's also been a noticeable demographic shift. At least noticeable to my great-Aunt, who reports hearing Spanish spoken as much or more often than English in town.

I don't doubt that having the University there has some effect, but it's my understanding that most of the off-campus housing isn't in Mansfield. As far as I know, most of the rentals in town are single-family homes, as opposed to large complexes aimed at college kids.
Willimantic has almost completely collapsed? Who would've thunk it? And here I am living right next door and didn't see that. I think your understanding of Willi is completely without merit. Or facts

Old 12-31-2013, 12:59 PM

Here are some facts: Willimantic has an almost 15% unemployment rate (nearly double New Haven and Bridgeport's!) and half the per capital income, median income, and median home value compared to the state as a whole. A plurality of people in Willimantic make > $10k per year. Of course, it has long had the reputation as being Connecticut's heroin capital, though perhaps that has changed.

Old 12-31-2013, 01:00 PM

*Rather, a plurality of Willimantic residents made <$10k per year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut