Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 11:44 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,489,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgmrg View Post
South Dakota is probably a high inbound state due to fracking. It's wreaked havoc on the state, so not necessarily something to strive for.
North Dakota is having a high inbound because of the fracking, not so much South Dakota. Fracking in South Dakota is limited to a very small portion of the State (extreme NW and SW).

http://denr.sd.gov/des/og/documents/..._wells_000.pdf

Apparently, SD is a major player in Banking/Retail/medical research, who knew. These 3 or 4 industries, along with good business environment and local Universities are really driving the economy in SD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2014, 11:45 AM

468 posts, read 708,615 times
Do you know what the word relative means? The population of the country and world is growing. If your state's population is growing at a slower rate, its population is shrinking relative to the rest of the country.

Since between the 2000 and 2010 census only one state (Michigan) and Puerto Rico saw their populations shrink, it is clear that that is not a useful measure against which to gauge a state's relative success or failure.

Old 01-03-2014, 11:49 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,968,512 times
Quote:
Do you know what the word relative means? The population of the country and world is growing. If your state's population is growing at a slower rate, its population is shrinking relative to the rest of the country.

Since between the 2000 and 2010 census only one state (Michigan) and Puerto Rico saw their populations shrink, it is clear that that is not a useful measure against which to gauge a state's relative success or failure.

Ct has lost residents to state-to-state migration, while offsetting it via immigration gains in several years. That happens in many states, and that is why few actually lose net population. But when you lose state-to-state, you lose Congressional seats, Ct had 6 when I was growing up, and after the next census, will likely have 4, if normal US growth patterns take place.

Old 01-03-2014, 12:02 PM

21,619 posts, read 31,202,923 times
Quote:
In a thread that's about people leaving the state, one would assume that your use of the word "shrink" means a decline in number of people living here.

I think I see what you're trying to accomplish, but there are more favorable words to use than "shrink" to prove your point that's going nowhere. Perhaps describing CT's population growth as stagnant would be better?

Again, a growth rate of +.6% is not a shrinking population. Period. Move along now.

Old 01-03-2014, 12:08 PM

Ok, so let's reframe the issue: More people are leaving Connecticut than are coming to Connecticut. Is anyone surprised? I'm not. Does anyone think that's positive? I don't.

Old 01-03-2014, 12:10 PM

21,619 posts, read 31,202,923 times
Quote:
Ok, so let's reframe the issue: More people are leaving Connecticut than are coming to Connecticut. Is anyone surprised? I'm not. Does anyone think that's positive? I don't.
What? Do you even pay attention to the numbers or are you just choosing to ignore simple math? CT's population rose by .6% in the past 3 years. Not a Texas or Arizona gain, but a gain nonetheless. If more people were leaving CT than coming, there would be a minus in front of that number.

Old 01-03-2014, 12:19 PM

Did you read the survey OP linked to? It looks at the total number of people moving from one state to another. It then breaks that down into those moving into states and out of states. 59% of people moving in Connecticut were moving out of the state; i.e., more people are leaving Connecticut than coming to Connecticut.

If you have an issue with the methodology of the survey, they state as such. It certainly is pretty limited in what it measures. But the fact that CT's population is growing at a teensy rate is a different issue than that raised by the OP's survey.

Old 01-03-2014, 12:30 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,489,117 times
Numbers don't lie. I don't like this trend that shows the outbounds are relatively the same YOY while the inbounds are gradually slowing down.

825<1230..We all agree. So more people Bye bye than Hello.

Old 01-03-2014, 12:32 PM

I'll further the discussion to something substantive: I'm someone who recently moved from Connecticut to New York City. I did so because doing the math, it was actually cheaper for me to live in a prime Manhattan neighborhood than to live in Stamford (which was my only other serious option) and commute to my job in the city. Why? Stamford, despite its progress, is not a truly walkable city. So I would need to keep my car, making my transportation costs insane (car insurance, maintenance, and gas plus a $300-something-dollar monthly train pass to NYC, plus monthly parking at the train station, plus a monthly metro-card of $120 = easily $800-$1000 per month in transportation costs (and I own my car outright!)). While housing is somewhat cheaper and tax rates are lower, even combined that's not enough to offset the outrageous transportation costs.

Old 01-03-2014, 02:09 PM

370 posts, read 608,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
What? Do you even pay attention to the numbers or are you just choosing to ignore simple math? CT's population rose by .6% in the past 3 years. Not a Texas or Arizona gain, but a gain nonetheless. If more people were leaving CT than coming, there would be a minus in front of that number.

Ugh....you are ignoring simple math. There are two components of population change: natural increase/decrease and net migration.

Therefore, Connecticut witnessed a negative net migration (outbound movement exceeded inbound movement). However, the natural increase (birth rate) offset the negative net migration, which resulted in the 0.6% increase.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut