Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 06:05 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,852,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 27lives View Post
nep... I am a single 29 y/o that works in lower FFC on a salary of 60k in accounting. I agree with you that lower FFC living is very hard for single people making less than 100k. I know that for a fact. I lived in Fairfield struggling with a rent of $1400 because I didn't want the "long" commute. Well, I ended up having to compromise. I ended up moving to Shelton and having a rent that saves me $500 a month. I love my new place. Yes, I have to deal with a pretty rough commute some days, but that's what happens at our age when we are still getting established. You have to learn to compromise.
I think that is what some people are trying to tell you- and you are just flat out refusing to compromise, and therefore people are suggesting you receive counseling. A therapist can at least help you figure out the confusion that is going on in your head and give you an unbiased view on things. No situation is ever going to be perfect, but you need to seriously figure out what you are willing to live with and what you are not willing to live with- and within reasonable means.
I can't imagine commuting that far from Stamford. It already takes 35 minutes just to drive home to Norwalk, which should only take about 12 minutes without traffic. But that's besides the point. I don't like FFC. Even if my salary went up to $100K, I still wouldn't want to live here.

But thank you for hitting the nail on the head with regard to how difficult it is to live here on salaries like ours. Right now I make $75K, but in order to attain the same purchasing power as I would have in Hartford County, I would need to make $95K here in FFC. Therefore, if I simply land a job back in Hartford, this whole cost of living problem would be resolved.

I tend to get stressed rather easily, so a long commute wouldn't be a good idea for me.

Old 01-05-2014, 06:37 PM

370 posts, read 604,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Lol. Well, I have been seeing this guy for the past month. We spent a few times together and get along pretty well. My only issue with him is that he smokes weed.

There was another guy that I was hanging out with back in the fall, but he snorted crystal meth right in front of me on the first time we met. It was not too long after before I decided to cut ties with him.

Seems like so many people do drugs these days.
With all of your complaining, hanging out with you probably requires drugs.

Old 01-05-2014, 07:39 PM

21,553 posts, read 27,794,997 times
If you wanted a low stress commute (with low cost of living) you'd just have to take the train. But you refuse to. It would solve a lot of your issues.

Old 01-05-2014, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
If you wanted a low stress commute (with low cost of living) you'd just have to take the train. But you refuse to. It would solve a lot of your issues.
Currently I drive to work. It doesn't bother me. Coming back home is terrible, but it's okay...I learned to deal with it. I'm used to it. Even if I lived out in Stratford, I'd still rather drive. I usually stop at places on the way home (i.e. grocery stores, other stores, etc.), so it's convenient to have a car. I'm not a fan of public transportation.

Old 01-05-2014, 08:39 PM

431 posts, read 442,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Tell that to the thousands of people who live in FFC on what you make or less for a single person.

This is a pattern. Everyone sees it but you.

I'm not going to participate in this thread any longer, Nep, because figuring out the core problem that causes this erratic behavior is really the only solution. You aren't happy ANYWHERE. The common denominator in all of these places, all these jobs and all of these apartments is YOU.

Only when you realize that and deal with it will you find satisfaction anywhere you are.

Good luck.
This. This a thousand times over.

Old 01-05-2014, 08:59 PM

720 posts, read 912,743 times
Do yourself a favor move out from CT. Southern Florida, Chicago, Los Angeles, all so much better then all of CT

Old 01-06-2014, 08:28 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,451,583 times
What would make you happy?

Old 01-06-2014, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
What would make you happy?
same job, cheaper area to live, reasonable commute, nothing to do with NYC

oh, and maybe a quality bf

Old 01-06-2014, 11:45 AM

21,553 posts, read 27,794,997 times
Quote:
reasonable commute
You want more than "reasonable", you want easy. You won't do a 25-35 minute train commute, and that is very minor compared to what many people do.

It would solve both your traffic and cost of living issues, as well as allow you to live in an area with less "NYC influence", as you say.

But clearly you're too stubborn to do that, so you're going to have to move to get what you want.

Old 01-06-2014, 11:56 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,463,371 times
Quote:
reasonable commute
I would kill for a 30 min commute. If my commute is an hour I call that a simple commute, which rarely happens. Sounds like you have a good job and seem to have made a somewhat normal routine for yourself down in FFC. People in this State would jump at the opportunity to have what you have. Maybe you just like drama/need attention and that's why you come on this board to rant and rave.

MHO, stay in FFC because if you come back to Hartford County and hate it, there will be no where else in CT to send you.

Look for the positives...you are living in one of the richest, safest and most beautiful parts of this Country and you still are NOT happy. It goes well beyond the 'NYC' influence you seem to hate. I would do some soul searching. It's not about the location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut