Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 10:36 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,949,724 times

Advertisements

My lease ends on May 31. I have no idea what to do after that. This apartment complex is too noisy and still drives me crazy to this day. Let alone paying $1,550 for a 700 sq ft 1 bd apt with no utilities included, no amenities, etc. And honestly, I really don't feel like moving again because it's a hassle and is stressful. But again, the noise level is too much, not only from the road, but from the neighbors above me as well. They're always walking around with high heels and it's super loud and the walls are paper thin. So bad, in fact, that I can hear the guy snoring while he's sleeping. And I can even hear sounds on their smartphones when they use them.

So that's one thing. But the problem goes beyond that.

As some of you may already know, I don't like FFC. I gave it a chance, but I seriously don't like the area for obvious reasons (extreme traffic congestion, outrageous cost of living, annoying NYC influence, etc.). The only worse place I've ever lived in was NYC itself. But Hartford County was better than both places (IMO). There is seriously no light at the end of the tunnel for me here, financially. I can't even afford the monthly payment (or a down payment yet) on a starter home for $300,000 in Norwalk, even. I refuse to have a long commute, too, since I highly value personal time, and the increased gas/transit costs sort of negate any reduced cost of living further out.

Although my manager is pleased with me and I love the company I work for (in Stamford) and everything, the pay is honestly not that great for FFC standards. I hate to reveal my salary, but I want more accurate advice, so here goes: My salary is only $75,000 (plus bonus). That doesn't go very far at all in FFC, for a single person. I have never felt more poor in my life, living here. At my income level, my living choices here in FFC are only restricted to small enclaves in Norwalk, Stamford and maybe a few trite neighborhoods here and there in other towns. And honestly, I don't see a promotion or any meaningful career advancement anytime soon. We get raises and bonuses in March. But even if I made $95,000, I still wouldn't want to live in FFC....because I just don't really like it here.

Fortunately, my apartment lease can go on a month-to-month basis after May (with a $200 monthly premium), which gives me more flexibility with finding a new job somewhere else if I must.

But here's the thing....even though I'd rather live in the Hartford area than here, I'm a bit weary about going back. I mean, a year ago, I left for a reason, after all.

I'm getting very nervous, because I am going to turn 30 in May, and still a far cry from being able to purchase property here in lower FFC. And please, please, do NOT suggest that I commute from a town far away. I will not do that, no matter what. And I will not have roommates at the age of 30. These arguments are stupid, because I already know that a much better standard of living can be achieved on a lower income in places OTHER than FFC. And I don't like FFC anyway.

So.....what do I do?

Old 01-05-2014, 10:42 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Read your own words, it appears you have answered your own questions/comments about what you will not do so it is up to you to figure out what you will do and proceed from there.

Old 01-05-2014, 11:04 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,863,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
the noise level is too much, not only from the road, but from the neighbors above me as well. They're always walking around with high heels and it's super loud and the walls are paper thin. So bad, in fact, that I can hear the guy snoring while he's sleeping.
The neighbors above you are 2 crossdressing males?

Old 01-05-2014, 11:43 AM

468 posts, read 708,727 times
You don't detail the reasons why you left Hartford County. I assume that those reasons are relevant to determining whether or not you want to return.

Old 01-05-2014, 11:51 AM

1,899 posts, read 3,509,368 times
I'd move to Texas and I'm twice your age.

Old 01-05-2014, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgmrg View Post
You don't detail the reasons why you left Hartford County. I assume that those reasons are relevant to determining whether or not you want to return.
I left the Hartford area because I felt like I seriously needed a change. I was living in a long term rut and became very stressed and depressed about my job, personal life, etc. Now, I'm struggling with a quality of life / economics issue.

Old 01-05-2014, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Cabeza View Post
I'd move to Texas and I'm twice your age.
I visited Dallas and Austin and didn't like them. I don't really like Texas, although it had some great natural beauty in the western portion of the state.

Old 01-05-2014, 01:58 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,137,017 times
My advice: Stop posting here, stop moving and deal with this:

Quote:
very stressed and depressed about my job, personal life, etc. Now, I'm struggling with a quality of life / economics issue.
Try counseling.

Old 01-05-2014, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
My advice: Stop posting here, stop moving and deal with this:

Try counseling.
If you read properly, I said that the "Stress and depression" was from back in 2012 when I had my former job while living in Plainvile. Counseling isn't going to change the difficult economics of FFC for someone at my income level, which is the problem at hand right now.

Old 01-05-2014, 02:14 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,137,017 times
Quote:
If you read properly, I said that the "Stress and depression" was from back in 2012 when I had my former job while living in Plainvile. Counseling isn't going to change the difficult economics of FFC for someone at my income level, which is the problem at hand right now.
Tell that to the thousands of people who live in FFC on what you make or less for a single person.

This is a pattern. Everyone sees it but you.

I'm not going to participate in this thread any longer, Nep, because figuring out the core problem that causes this erratic behavior is really the only solution. You aren't happy ANYWHERE. The common denominator in all of these places, all these jobs and all of these apartments is YOU.

Only when you realize that and deal with it will you find satisfaction anywhere you are.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut