Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 07:09 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,829,691 times

Advertisements

I'm not a fan of Stop & Shop but not because of its produce. The three Stop & Shops that I use the most are Cromwell, Kensington, and Rocky Hill. I can not say I've ever seen rotting produce in any of these three stores although that doesn't mean it's not possible. I've only seen poor quality produce at the "marked down for quick sale" area in Rocky Hill & Kensington locations.

My issues with stop and shop are high prices and poor service. Cromwell being the worst of the bunch so I no longer go in there. That is a huge store and also clean and well stocked so they have money for that, but not for employee's. Very typical to see one express lane and 4 self checkout lanes staffed by one person. Self checkout isn't any faster IMO.

What's more the Cromwell store is down the road from a Walmart that started selling groceries too. I've been in there a few times, but it leaves a lot to be desired. If you just want canned goods, paper goods, and pet food its decent. Produce is Ok, but usually understocked. With the increased competiton from Walmart you would think stop and shop in Cromwell would change their tune. Nope, but perhaps their sales data says otherwise ?

Also, stop and shop just had a scandal with labeling of beef products in their stores and the USDA told them to revert back to the old style. The cliff notes version;

Stop and shop labeled all beef as "USDA graded" but didn't include the grade. Most common grades are "select" and "choice" but with stop and shops label you wouldn't know if it was select or choice.
USDA Instructs Ahold Divs. to Revise Beef Labels | ProgressiveGrocer

If you are worried about hamburger I would suggest you buy the store ground hamburger. Most stores receive whole sides of beef and cut them up in store. Some of this will be used for hamburger. If you are unsure you can always ask the store butcher.

Stay away from frozen beef patties and the ground beef that comes in a tube. That is the beef that is coming from big packing plants from around the country. I would also suggest to stay away from any beef in which the store does not have a butcher on site. Their beef could also be coming from one of these plants, but you can always ask an employee to make sure.

Chicken usually isn't processed in grocery stores like stop and shop and are only labeled by the store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2015, 04:59 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,937,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulpfiction View Post
You do realize Giant Eagle=Stop and Shop, correct? Same parent company.
You are wrong. You're thinking of Giant Food Stores. Stop & Shop is owned by Ahold USA. Giant Eagle is its own distinct company.

THIS is the Giant Eagle I will be shopping at:

https://www.google.com/search?q=gian...ed=0CAkQ_AUoBA

The one that YOU'RE thinking of is this one:

https://www.google.com/search?q=gian...nt+food+stores

Old 06-25-2015, 11:43 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Well it looks like the parent of Stop & Shop is merging with the parent of Hannaford's to form the country's third largest supermarket chain. Not sure if this is good or bad. Jay

Stop & Shop, Hannaford parents merging - Connecticut Post

Old 06-25-2015, 11:49 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,941,124 times
I'm gonna say neutral to negative. S&S has been on a downward tend for some time and a merger is certainly not going to help.

Old 06-25-2015, 01:14 PM

20 posts, read 36,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Well it looks like the parent of Stop & Shop is merging with the parent of Hannaford's to form the country's third largest supermarket chain. Not sure if this is good or bad. Jay

"Stop & Shop owner Royal Ahold is merging with Delhaize Group, which owns the Hannaford supermarket chain that is dominant in much of New England, as well as Food Lion nationally"

Food Lion. The only grocery store I've ever been to that has lower standards and worse produce than Stop & Shop. I thought I had finally escaped the pit that is The Lion of Food when I moved away from North Carolina :/

Old 06-25-2015, 05:53 PM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post

"The combined company would be called Ahold Delhaize"

So Stop & Shop will be changed to Delhaize? Stop & Shop rolled off the tongue easier and the name made it obvious what it was.. I have to go to Delhaize nobody will know what it is unless they been there or heard of them.

Ahold, Delhaize plan to merge

Old 06-25-2015, 06:51 PM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
They would not change the name of the stores, just the name of the owner. Jay

Old 06-25-2015, 07:06 PM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
My closest grocery store is a Stop & Shop. I use it like a corner convenience store. I rarely ever buy more than 3 or 4 items at a time there. The prices are 30% higher than my main grocery store. Produce and meat aren't particularly good.

Old 06-25-2015, 07:41 PM

1,241 posts, read 901,324 times
Hannaford is a great chain. It is my second favorite grocery after Wegmans. Perhaps some of the good of Hannaford will rub off on Stop and Shop!

Old 06-25-2015, 09:09 PM

39 posts, read 39,954 times
I only go to stop and shop for the shell gas points lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut