Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2014, 07:17 PM

13,981 posts, read 13,754,395 times

Advertisements

While Congress continues the back and forth over the prospective reinstatement of extended unemployment benefits that were discontinued December 28, over 20,000 Connecticut residents are sinking deeper into debt and despair.
For every week there remains an absence of an extension, roughly $8 million are not being pumped into the state’s economy.
“We want to be there to make sure these folks, who are looking for work and really want work, get that lifeline,” said Daryle Dudzinski of the Connecticut Department of Labor.
Cheryl Mobley, who most recently worked in loss mitigation, has been searching for work since her company trimmed 100 employees last March.
“I have excellent skills. I’m very employable. I type 65 to 70 words a minute. I know Microsoft Word. As a matter of fact, when I was at Travelers, I pilot tested it,” said Mobley, who may soon lose her car and apartment.

Lack Of Unemployment Extension Hurting CT’s Economy | WTIC FOX CT
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2014, 08:39 PM

1,350 posts, read 2,674,389 times
breaks my heart hearing of peoples struggles like this. i know what it's like. i've been lucky enough to have always eventually found something (though most times the jobs have sucked - like my current one) but until i did, the extensions in previous years saved my life (particularly the early 2000's with the dot.com crash and 9/11). employers don't help much either with their stupid prejudices (whaa, he has 20 yrs experience but no 4-yr degree, whaa, he doesn't have a contracting assignment lasting more than 5 yrs, etc)

Last edited by Slipperman; 01-13-2014 at 08:54 PM..

Old 01-14-2014, 07:58 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,078,456 times
Unfortunately, I think this is what I call the "technical generation gap" at work.

While I feel for her, using Microsoft Word isn't really a technical skill-- let alone one that separates you in the job pool. Most execs do their own typing. She is indistinguishable form a marketability standpoint from thousands of others who are relatively low-skill in today's market.

She bears some responsibility for not updating her skills.

Old 01-14-2014, 09:20 AM

468 posts, read 704,380 times
I don't place the blame on long-term unemployed people--many of them have just been left behind by an rapidly-changing economy. But unemployment insurance benefits are designed to be temporary and short-term--not for people who are going to be permanently or at least indefinitely unemployed. We should be trying to figure out how to deal with people who, for all intents and purposes, and likely to be underemployed or unemployed permanently as a result of structural changes in our economy. Unemployment insurance is an expensive and poorly-designed band-aid.

Old 01-14-2014, 01:01 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,785,532 times
What is happening in this economy is that the "middle tier jobs" are disappearing. I would classify these jobs as the ones paying $15-$25 an hour. Don't necessarily need a college degree, but it wouldn't hurt either. It's also my belief that these jobs are gone forever.

The people remaining are the upper mgmt types who will not reduce each others salaries or lay each other off. And the lower tier (min wage - $15) an hour employees who will pick up the slack of the middle tier employees who were just let go, but won't get a pay raise for doing so.

Job search is difficult in this economy since being unemployed is black mark against you. This may be due to HR people who believe only the "slackers" are laid off when the economy is bad. I actually heard this from an HR person at a company I worked at before. Due to this a lot of people can not even get past the "HR gate keepers" in order to get their resume's in front of decision makers.

Old 01-14-2014, 04:36 PM

1,350 posts, read 2,674,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
Job search is difficult in this economy since being unemployed is black mark against you. This may be due to HR people who believe only the "slackers" are laid off when the economy is bad. I actually heard this from an HR person at a company I worked at before. Due to this a lot of people can not even get past the "HR gate keepers" in order to get their resume's in front of decision makers.
this is another one of those prejudices i was referring to.

Old 01-14-2014, 07:01 PM

3,432 posts, read 3,908,494 times
If the CT economy is reliant on unemployment benefits as stimulus, we are in worse shape than I thought.

Old 01-14-2014, 07:42 PM

4,316 posts, read 4,172,227 times
I would like to get some bang for the buck.

You got 12 weeks unemployment. After that, you get the same benefit, but you give us 20 hours/week for public works. Maybe, you pick up a shovel and start digging another road through FFC. Or maybe work for expanded programs at Public Libraries.

Of course I am over-simplifying this, but since we as a nation (or state) have some public assets, which need improvements, like roads, airports, ports, libraries, schools -- after 12 weeks, you contribute something in return to getting an unemployment check.

Who knows, maybe you can pick up a skill, you remain workplace-socialized, you network. Maybe for some, this will lead to new careers.

Old 01-16-2014, 12:29 PM

453 posts, read 1,530,909 times
I've been unemployed or underemployed since relocating here for DH's job. I took a part time job just to have a job (I made less than what daycare costs were after taxes) because there is definitely a stigma against the unemployed. Unfortunately, I got laid off from that job. I send out HUNDREDS of resumes each week. I have interviewed numerous times. I have taken ten years plus of experience off my resume because I am too overqualified.

I would gladly accept Henry10's suggestion if there were a stipend for daycare costs or childcare was provided. As it is, most of my take home pay went to daycare costs. Cutting my pay to 2/3 before taxes leaves me unable to pay for daycare. We make too much for DSS assistance unlike recipients of TANF and other welfare programs. I have made a similar suggestion of public volunteerism for long term welfare recipients, released inmates and others who want jobs and skills but can't find them. I don't think unions will EVER allow it to happen though.

Old 01-16-2014, 02:26 PM

327 posts, read 1,115,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
If the CT economy is reliant on unemployment benefits as stimulus, we are in worse shape than I thought.
We actually are in pretty bad shape here and biggest issue is that I don't see them put their "big-boy" pants and do whats needed to be done to be productive in society. Rather keep playing the victim card and keep asking for the handouts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut