Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 02:36 PM

10,079 posts, read 14,952,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lginlg View Post
Downtown is a forest of contrstruction cranes as new apartment skyscrapers rise. NBC Sports is now headquarted in Stamford as well as YES studios, A&E Networks and the Rich Forum, home to 4 nationally syndicated shows.
Are you sure they are skyscrapers and not just high-rises?

I myself am confused where the line is drawn between the two, but I don't think Stamford has any true skyscrapers and much less is one under construction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2014, 02:41 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,230,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Are you sure they are skyscrapers and not just high-rises?

I myself am confused where the line is drawn between the two, but I don't think Stamford has any true skyscrapers and much less is one under construction.
Agree -- I think the tallest building in Stamford is Trump Parc, which is probably in the 30 story range. High rise definitely, not skyscraper though. Unless something much bigger is planned?

Old 01-20-2014, 09:05 PM

21,744 posts, read 28,070,632 times
This is a pretty aggressive plan. Good to see the city having some vision finally.

Hey, That's His Property! | New Haven Independent

Old 01-21-2014, 08:12 AM

34,926 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Perhaps. But Stamford didn't become "desirable" until around the late 90's when our disappointing Governor was mayor of the city. Which leads me to another thought......... I'd like to see Malloy become Mayor of Bridgeport. I think it would be a better fit than his current position.
I am sorry but Stamford has been "desirable" long before the 90's. It became an escape from New York back in the 50's and boomed during nthe 70's and 80's with a lot of office towers and parks being built. Jay

Old 01-21-2014, 07:30 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,858,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I am sorry but Stamford has been "desirable" long before the 90's. It became an escape from New York back in the 50's and boomed during nthe 70's and 80's with a lot of office towers and parks being built. Jay
OK. What surrounded those office towers and parks in the 70's, 80's, and most of the 90's?

Old 01-21-2014, 08:04 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,230,026 times
My understanding (through a former coworker who was instrumental in the Stamford redevelopment commission during the early-mid 1980s) is that Stamford has had lots of starts, and unfortunately stops, for the last 40-45 years Landmark Square for one must date back to the early '70s at least, I think. Many of the low rise buildings on Summer Street probably date to that era too. Obviously there was demand for them at the time. I think the '80s, late in particular, saw a decline. According to my former coworker, his group made a hard push for expansion of conn's satellite campus -- the thinking being all vibrant cities need a university presence. Not really sure how much impact that had in the end, though my gut says probably minimal. Mid to late '90s saw another boom, which has continued over to the '00s and '10s. Hedge funds being the driving force for sure

Last edited by Lalalally; 01-21-2014 at 08:13 PM..

Old 01-21-2014, 09:01 PM

167 posts, read 175,777 times
I think Stamford's proximity to NYC makes it unique and New Haven's only chance to ever jump to the next level would be decades down the line if high speed rail managed to cut the trip from Union Station to GCS to 30-45 minutes.

That being said, a lot of good stuff has been going on in New Haven lately and the Rt 34 project is a huge move for the long term future of the city. Investing in the area close to Union Station always seemed like a no brainer to me, glad something's finally being done though I'll be long gone by the time the project completes.

As for the same old crime debate that's brought up in every single New Haven thread, it's largely nonsense. I've lived in New Haven the last eight years (first three in Wooster Sq, last five in East Rock) and it's great here though we don't have kids yet, of course). A few cars get broken into in East Rock (always it's been for having a GPS or laptop bag visible) and I've known three people that have gotten mugged in my eight years living here. All three were women walking by themselves late at night on a quiet and empty street.

New Haven is just like any other city, it has good parts and bad parts. If you use your brain you'll be fine. Though most suburbanites continue to enjoy sitting afar and making off base comments comparing New Haven to Detroit or some drug-infested war zone. The bad crimes happen in the rough neighborhoods.

The only major problem the city has is the once or twice a year violence at the few hip-hop places downtown. That really needs to be taken care of - when the inner city violence occurs downtown the city's rep takes a legitimate hit. That being said, I haven't been downtown at 1-2am in years so I don't have to worry about that.

Old 01-22-2014, 06:52 AM

328 posts, read 425,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
How? And more importantly, why - when NYC is so close?

That proximity should invigorate Stamford's arts and culture, not block it. Unfortunately.

The treasured Avon theater is an example of a convenient local art house that eliminates an expensive, congested drive, parking and dine in the City,

With Yale influence, resources and pedigree, NH has cultural advantage over Stamford.

Old 01-22-2014, 07:05 AM

21,744 posts, read 28,070,632 times
Yale was a good foundation and start, but now NH has attracted artistic types on its own. It's becoming an artsy city and, dare I say, attracting a hipster crowd. It seems like a new gallery pops up every month. I'm just not seeing Stamford having that same "vibe".

Old 01-22-2014, 07:45 AM

468 posts, read 708,615 times
New Haven is radically less expensive than Stamford, so that's why it is able to attract artists and artist wannabes. But it's really the cultural capital of Yale that creates an environment that is attractive--the good food, coffee shops, cultural institutions, etc. are all pretty dependent on Yale. That's certainly attractive to non-Yale-affiliated people, too, but it flows from Yale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut