Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best Mall
Westfarms 14 23.73%
Danbury Fair 31 52.54%
Brass Mill 3 5.08%
Meriden 0 0%
Trumbull 1 1.69%
Stamford 2 3.39%
Connecticut Post 6 10.17%
Other (Please specify) 2 3.39%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 11:08 AM

3,341 posts, read 4,124,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
I hate malls, but Danbury.

Danbury was pretty crappy 10 years ago. The new owners did wonders.
I'm only half joking, but how is the outdoor shopping destination working out this winter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2014, 11:24 AM

24 posts, read 31,665 times
Danbury because of the size, variety, and LLBean, with Stamford and Westfarms close behind. Stamford's got a weird layout, but it's got good stores and usually isn't super crowded, and Westfarms has Nordstrom and a lot of the luxury stores that aren't in any of the other malls or anywhere else in the state except Greenwich Ave. Stamford has a lot of potential on either side depending on what they can do with the old Saks space. If they could get a Nordstrom or Bloomingdales in there it might pass Danbury, but if it's something junky like a Burlington or Sears, it would be a big step back for the mall.

Old 01-25-2014, 11:37 AM

2,918 posts, read 3,202,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sesasheep View Post
Stamford's got a weird layout
Bingo! I work near that mall and I definitely do not like shopping there. It's good if you need to run in/out quickly, but not a place I like to stroll through. Also, fairly certain new anchor store will not be Bloomingdale's (there used to be a Bloomingdale's in Stamford which closed many years ago); or Burlington (there's one across the street from the Stamford mall right now, and it doesn't look like anyone shops there; or Sears (just read Sears' flagship store is closing in April, so I would assume that means they're not doing well -- plus Sears doesn't really fit the demographic of the area).

Old 01-25-2014, 11:42 AM

21,480 posts, read 27,718,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
I'm only half joking, but how is the outdoor shopping destination working out this winter?
I did all my Christmas shopping without stepping foot in a mall and I have no complaints. I ski in the winter and I'm not a total pansy so it doesn't bother me anymore than getting up and going to work in a cold car.

Shrug.

Old 01-25-2014, 11:57 AM

34,635 posts, read 56,369,388 times
The poll list is not complete since it ignores a couple of major malls like Buckland Hills in Manchester and Crystal in Waterford. That said right now it appears that Danbury is way ahead with Westfarms coming in second. I do agree with that. I also do not see any votes for any of the Westfield malls (Trumbull, Meriden, Enfield, Milford) which is not a surprise since they are generally kind of dumpy IMHO.

It would be interesting to see what places turn up if you included lifestyle centers like Blue Back Square in West Hartford, Evergreen Walk in South Windsor or the Shoppes at Farmington Valley in Canton. Or evne the outlet centers in Clinton and Westbrook.

Personally I do think Danbury is the best mall in the state followed by Westfarms. I would rate the four Westfield malls the worst. JMHO, Jay

Old 01-25-2014, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
It would be interesting to see what places turn up if you included lifestyle centers like Blue Back Square in West Hartford, Evergreen Walk in South Windsor or the Shoppes at Farmington Valley in Canton. Or evne the outlet centers in Clinton and Westbrook.
Or the outdoor mall that is Main Street Westport.

Old 01-25-2014, 11:59 AM

34,635 posts, read 56,369,388 times
Quote:
Or the outdoor mall that is Main Street Westport.
Then you could add places like West hartford Center, Fairfield Center and Greenwich Avenue. Jay

Old 01-25-2014, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Then you could add places like West hartford Center, Fairfield Center and Greenwich Avenue. Jay
Greenwich Ave, yes, although there's a better variety there than Westport IMO between niche shops and chains - Fairfield center doesn't have that many typical mall chains.

Westport is a great shopping destination, no doubt - but it's getting dominated by chains. Nothing wrong with that if that's what you want. It's getting too expensive for the mom & pops.

Old 01-25-2014, 12:20 PM

24 posts, read 31,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalalally View Post
Bingo! I work near that mall and I definitely do not like shopping there. It's good if you need to run in/out quickly, but not a place I like to stroll through. Also, fairly certain new anchor store will not be Bloomingdale's (there used to be a Bloomingdale's in Stamford which closed many years ago); or Burlington (there's one across the street from the Stamford mall right now, and it doesn't look like anyone shops there; or Sears (just read Sears' flagship store is closing in April, so I would assume that means they're not doing well -- plus Sears doesn't really fit the demographic of the area).
Yeah, I don't think it'll be any of them either, just using them as examples of potential quality levels of tenants. Heard rumors that The Cheesecake Factory is interested in the space, but not from any sort of reliable source.

Old 01-25-2014, 12:45 PM

3,341 posts, read 4,124,736 times
Quote:
I did all my Christmas shopping without stepping foot in a mall and I have no complaints. I ski in the winter and I'm not a total pansy so it doesn't bother me anymore than getting up and going to work in a cold car.

Shrug.
Wasn't really that cold before Christmas. I ski too (own a cabin in NH) but the open air/lifestyle centers are not fun with kids and sub freezing temperatures. Cold cars are even a challenge with little ones since you technically aren't supposed to buckle them into car seats in heavy jackets. But it sounds like you would just let your kids freeze since as you put it, you aren't a total pansy.

Side note: i love how the builders have sold hipsters a bill of goods on open air lifestyle centers as the new mall (and gained acceptance). They don't reduce cars or vast parking lots and business is light when thare that there hasn't been a closed mall build since 2006 and many are struggling with the internet taking share, but that doesn't spell imminent death. malls aren't being build anymore because there is one within 50 miles of every town. Full saturation point, not because of new age thinking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut