Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 07:52 AM

2,122 posts, read 2,405,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
So-- Real liberal here. Not Rush Limbaugh telling you what liberals think.

I don't think the rich are evil. I grew up on the coast of Westport with a few dollars.

I don't think corporations are evil. I've owned two and am on my third.

I think you have every right to bear arms.

Maybe the "Fox Nation" you acclaim has you a tad misinformed? (Wouldn't that be a shock?)
I think you just think your a liberal. The more I read your posts, the more center/non-partisan you become.

I take most of your posts very seriously because I don't think your just spitting out left-wing/right-wing dribble you heard on Fox or MSNBC. You form most of your thoughts through facts, sources, and logical reasoning (an inherently un-liberal thing to do haha. kidding.). Most people with an extreme leaning tend to use neither, but rather unconditionally defend "their side"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2014, 08:03 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,083,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigequinox View Post
I think you just think your a liberal. The more I read your posts, the more center/non-partisan you become.

I take most of your posts very seriously because I don't think your just spitting out left-wing/right-wing dribble you heard on Fox or MSNBC. You form most of your thoughts through facts, sources, and logical reasoning (an inherently un-liberal thing to do haha. kidding.). Most people with an extreme leaning tend to use neither, but rather unconditionally defend "their side"
First, I'm flattered and undeserving of the warm comments.

Secondly, I think, if you pay attention, you'll find that many, many liberals sound like me. My thinking and positions are very much classical liberal-- It's just that you're used to the caricature painted of liberals, not the reality, I'm afraid.

Perhaps you're not as conservative as you think you are?

Old 01-27-2014, 12:19 PM

34,700 posts, read 56,496,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigequinox View Post
Nahh, sorry CT just blew that on 3 miles of road in waterbury. I hope your town didn't need any of that. lol. i keed, i keed.

I think his point about the guns is that instead of paying our legislators to put on a public spectacle about how progressive we are on "feel-safe/warm fuzzy" gun laws that will do absolutely nothing, they should be spending their time working on the issues that will truly make CT a better place. At least thats what I got from it.

Do you have a link btw? I'm curious to see who said we have an excess 500 mil.
You need to remember that the money for the I-84 project in Waterbury does not come out of the state's general fund. It comes from the Highway Trust fund which has a set limit on how much can be drawn from it. ConnDOT takes all of its projects and prioritizes them and then starts at the top of the list and works it way down until it runs out of money each year. The Waterbury project has been on hold for a number of years now and only recently rose to the top of the list for funding. The surplus has little to nothing to do with it. Jay

Old 01-27-2014, 07:00 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,776,588 times
Quote:
I know you're new-- But Felonious John Rowland(R) took over as governor in 1995. That's 19 years ago. I'm not sure what you think you're correcting.

Ella Grasso was governor from 1976 - 1980. She was a Democrat too. Not sure what your point is.
Don't forget that Weicker was a Republican as well. He changed to independent to run for Governor.

Old 01-28-2014, 09:56 AM

34,700 posts, read 56,496,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Don't forget that Weicker was a Republican as well. He changed to independent to run for Governor.
And he was the Governor that implemented the state income tax here in Connecticut. Arguably it was the real biggest tax increase in the state's history. Jay

Old 01-28-2014, 02:48 PM

31 posts, read 58,013 times
Default There's so much wrong with our financial priorities

First, we as a State ought to have an HONEST conversation about the value of the marginal education dollar, and a correlating HONEST conversation about the value of a fully-functional mass transit system that meets the needs of its present+potential constituent passengers/customers.

Assuming you have a choice to 'insufficiently fund' one of the two, which decision would have a more detrimental impact on the State's economy?

Old 01-28-2014, 06:33 PM

3,432 posts, read 3,911,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RA73 View Post
First, we as a State ought to have an HONEST conversation about the value of the marginal education dollar, and a correlating HONEST conversation about the value of a fully-functional mass transit system that meets the needs of its present+potential constituent passengers/customers.

Assuming you have a choice to 'insufficiently fund' one of the two, which decision would have a more detrimental impact on the State's economy?
Education is mostly funded locally with property taxes, and mass transit from a mix of federal and state taxes. So I don't see why one would be funded at the expense of the other. Unless property taxes start going to mass transit.

Old 01-28-2014, 06:41 PM

1,380 posts, read 2,384,574 times
Hmm. We have a surplus and desperately need to cut taxes in order to fix that. Sounds so darn familiar. Took the words straight from this guy.

I'm sure everything worked out for him.

Old 02-10-2014, 11:21 PM

48 posts, read 144,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeffCT View Post
You do realize that Connecticut had 20 years of Republican governors before Malloy took office in 2010?
Quote:
Originally Posted by POAlover View Post
O'Neill (D) was Gov. from 1980-1991

Lowell Weicker (I) was Gov. starting in 1991
Quote:
I know you're new-- But Felonious John Rowland(R) took over as governor in 1995. That's 19 years ago. I'm not sure what you think you're correcting.

Ella Grasso was governor from 1976 - 1980. She was a Democrat too. Not sure what your point is.
I may be new to the Forum, but not to politics or Connecticut.

The poster said that CT had 20 years of Republican Governors before Malloy took office in 2010. No?
2010 - 20 = 1990

Pointing out that is not correct. We have NOT had 20 years of Republican Governors as stated.

O'Neill (D) was Gov. in 1991 and certainly had his share of scandals.
Weicker (I) was Gov. starting in 1991.

Old 02-10-2014, 11:42 PM

48 posts, read 144,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
That's what kills me. If they do raise taxes, they then spend more, rather than give us some of our money back. They get a surplus, they spend more. Spend spend spend spend. I hate busting my hump, only for the town, state, and feds to take a big chunk away from me.
Sad, but true. The more they get in their pockets, the more they spend.

This is the reason many are making a mass exodus out of this state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut